Advice on full-size 9mm pistols please

If this is to political, and I think it's heading that way, let me know, I'll delete my part.

OK, Like I said, its just my opinion, but, here goes.
there are training stipulations, that's why some states don't or didn't have reciprocity with other states, like Indiana had no training involved in the permit process so a lot of states wouldn't recognize there permit.

things have changed in recent years, like this year, Ohio does recognize Indiana permits now but for a long time they didn't, there's still a few states that don't.

Some states don't have background checks of any kind to carry concealed, like I believe Vermont, so a fed permit would, it would seem, require those people to get a background check for the permit.

Yes, I agree it should be a common sense issue, but as we see in the world, a lot, common sense isn't all that common, again just my opinion.

Back to topic, I've qualled with more than a few different pistols, I've found for me anyway, they all work pretty much the same, just different ergonomics, as far as choice, for me, K frame Smith, in any caliber, auto wise, pretty much anything but HK.

I don't think you understood that news article or the law of reciprocity that they are trying to pass, so I can not even have a conversation with you. Nothing new is happening to how permits are issued or what regulations.

States will still issue and decide on issuing of carry permits. The permit will simply be valid everywhere instead of that state only or a handful of others. Those who hold carry permits will now have their permits validated in all 50 states and states will need to honor it.

They will be able to travel to all 50 states and their permit will be recognized no matter what state issued it. When you're in that new state you will just have to follow the laws of that state that pertain to carry with your permit level - regular or conceal carry. But there will not be new training or anything dumped on you. That has nothing to do with it. The travel state defers to the issue state as having taken care of whatever requirements were needed to obtain your permit in the first place. That's it. If you have a conceal carry permit from TX and you travel to NY then you will be able to continue conceal carry in NY and follow the conceal carry permit holder laws of NY state. These things are addressed in the new law. I spelled it out yesterday. Not much else i can say.

Last edited:
heresthedeal said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't agree, (with the training issue) I think there should be a training stipulation, at the least the legalities of when and how, and especially why you can or should use it. I really don't think they put the training in to just harass people, but you are entitled to your opinion.
had to bold my reply, not sure how you did that multi quote thing, I don't spend as much time typing on here as you.

You want the government to regulate when, how, and why to use your firearm? And you're a gun owner and user? Sounds fishy to me. We already have laws in all 50 states which determine what is and is not considered justifiable use of force concerning guns and deadly force. So what are you talking about.

And the 2nd amendment does not state the right to bear arms is negotiable or that exercise of it is up to the government. I don't even know what to say to such crap.

It's not just the SIG pistol that's expensive, their magazines are also quite expensive, which makes stocking up difficult. Beretta magazines are slightly more affordable, and will work if you accurately cut a new magazine notch in the side, but that's not something I can easily do.

Back to someone with a brain....Charlie - have you ever carried any Beretta models? I've not personally but a lot of friends have over the years. I liked them but not as much as others. Not enough to buy one.

I had a 229, very nice gun, but to heavy for toting around for me, I've seen police trade ins online in GOOD condition with nights sights for $450, what I paid for mine.

I agree-that's why I stuck with Glock or Springfield XDM for conceal.

You want the government to regulate when, how, and why to use your firearm? And you're a gun owner and user? Sounds fishy to me. We already have laws in all 50 states which determine what is and is not considered justifiable use of force concerning guns and deadly force. So what are you talking about.

And the 2nd amendment does not state the right to bear arms is negotiable or that exercise of it is up to the government. I don't even know what to say to such crap.

The government already does regulate when you can use a weapon, it's a series of federal and state laws, it's what keeps people like you safe when they spout off bullshit that wouldn't be said in a face to face conversation.
We disagree on the fed carry law, I'm not the only one on here that does.
Yes, I am a gun owner and user, in a state that doesn't have all the bullshit regulations that yours does.
Have nice day, I hope the fed regs work out for you, I don't have to worry much about it.

Back to someone with a brain....Charlie - have you ever carried any Beretta models? I've not personally but a lot of friends have over the years. I liked them but not as much as others. Not enough to buy one.

I haven't carried any Berettas, just examined some at gun shows. The 92 is the primary one I like, even if there are better models available.

Anyone else have problems with the SP01 being picky about ammunition?

Anyone else have problems with the SP01 being picky about ammunition?

Yes, I am having issues with the magazines I believe. And problems ejecting. Doesn't like Tula?

It's not exactly a full-size model, but does anyone have any experience with the Smith & Wesson 6906? Are they any good in terms of reliability and accuracy?

Well, in appreciation of the information you all posted to help me pick a pistol (and all the other info, too), I thought the least I could do was let you know what I ended up going with.

I managed to find a range that had a CZ75, a Sig 226, and a full-size Beretta. I was kind of shocked when the range guy suggested not getting the CZ- he said they had already replaced the firing pin twice. I was shocked again when the CZ turned out to be the roughest shooter of the bunch- everything I read and watched on YouTube talked about how soft shooting they were. This one felt like it had more recoil and muzzle flip than the other two pistols, and for some reason, seemed to slap the $%it out of my trigger finger. Any ideas on what that's about?

Anyway, I liked shooting the Beretta, but didn't really care for the placement of the de-cocker. Obviously, this only leaves the Sig, and this is where my luck turned. I loved shooting it! In spite of the grip seeming to be a little large for my hands, it felt really good and I shot it better than the other two- a real "match made in heaven"- of course it had to be the most expensive of the bunch, but I was ridiculously accurate with it.

Things got even better when I found a great deal on a used Scorpion (I would've preferred the Extreme) that came with 5 mags and 2 holsters for less than the price of the gun new. So, that's my happy ending, thanks for the help getting there!

The government already does regulate when you can use a weapon, it's a series of federal and state laws, it's what keeps people like you safe when they spout off bullshit that wouldn't be said in a face to face conversation.
Partially correct. Laws do cover "use", but not all jurisdictions have laws that cover carrying, either openly or concealed, or any prerequisite training requirements to do so. In 11 states of the USA now, the carry of firearms is unrestricted/unlegislated. It's otherwise known as Constitutional Carry. A man carries, openly or concealed, simply with the authority of his choosing to do so. That is precisely how it should be in a land that considers itself one of liberty and freedom.

Constitutional Carry is now beginning to sweep across the nation much as Shall Issue Conceal Carry did starting 30 years ago. Progress is shown as you watch the changes in the map below.

rtc.gif

Last edited:
Partially correct. Laws do cover "use", but not all jurisdictions have laws that cover carrying, either openly or concealed, or any prerequisite training requirements to do so. In 11 states of the USA now, the carry of firearms is unrestricted/unlegislated. It's otherwise known as Constitutional Carry. A man carries, openly or concealed, simply with the authority of his choosing to do so. That is precisely how it should be in a land that considers itself one of liberty and freedom.

Constitutional Carry is now beginning to sweep across the nation much as Shall Issue Conceal Carry did starting 30 years ago. Progress is shown as you watch the changes in the map below.

rtc.gif

Nice map.

I understand what you are saying, the part of my reply you quoted was in response to another poster, who was prattling on about federal carry license and calling into question whether or not I was a gun owner or some stupid s**t.

Once again, I don't have a problem with reciprocity, I just have issue with the federal government getting involved with a states rights issue that is working for most of the country. In my opinion, the only way it would work is for the fed to make a license that goes with the most restrictive states way of doing things, not the least restrictive. States rights is a big thing at this time, as it should be, the fed stepping in and somehow making/forcing the states to go along, whether its to make it easier or harder to carry is going to be a problem. In Ohio and most other states there is no magazine limit or limits on the kind of ammo carried, some states there is, is the fed going to over turn those states laws, or ours? Are those states going to be the rule, or ours? I don't live in a state that decides if I carry hollow points or more than 10/ten rounds, or 7/seven, or a round in the chamber, fed steps in are they going to change those laws for the restrictive states, or mine?
More states have training stipulations than not, are they going to get rid of those, or make it go with the state that has the most training, or the least for that matter?

Like I said before, the concealed carry laws in most states are working pretty well, for the majority, I happen to be 1/one of those and am not looking forward to possibly loosing some of my rights because of a state that has more restrictions than mine.

As for fed law trumping state law, some people need to grow up, that is not always the way it works, example, schedule 1/one narcotics being legalized in some states despite the fed law that says they are illegal. (personally don't care about the legalities of the drug I'm talking about, just using it as an example)

Highway speeds in some states that go against fed laws, firearms laws that go against fed law, I'm sure theres more, but my point is, state law sometimes just goes against fed law, so the fed just making the states do what they want is not something that is definite.

For anyone that lives in a restrictive state, I'm sorry for that, but it's not my problem, its yours, don't like the laws there, move or do something about it. I and others shouldn't have to loose or even have the possibility of loosing our/my rights to get you/your state a taste of what we have.

Now, the restrictive state thing, fed carry law, say I'm traveling to NY, or through to Maine, do I leave my magazines at home that hold more that 7/seven rounds, do I leave them at the state line? No, it means that I would have to not have them, so that would put me in the more restrictive category without even meaning too, just because of a stupid knee jerk law passed in response to propaganda. Fed going to say, no he's got an Ohio license, he can have those terrible high cap mags, no, they wont, I'll get a charge and loose money and my states license.

I could be wrong, but maybe not, guessing theres even more issues that I haven't even thought about. I just happen to be the person that said something on here, actually 1/one other did, just not singled out by a poster that has more experience on a keyboard than with a gun, let alone carrying one around, (not you leg).

I could be wrong, but I could be right, along with a bunch of others I suspect.

Back on topic, which I think has already been decided, the 226 is a nice gun, easy to get parts and accessories for, magazines are easy enough to get, along with holsters.

My only advice would be, use factory magazines, and keep them clean on the inside, I've seen a few that had sticking issues because of that.

Charlie_K, I have a 6906- fine pistol. I started out with S&W Mod 59, the early double stack 9.

Best.

Charlie_K, I have a 6906- fine pistol. I started out with S&W Mod 59, the early double stack 9.

Best.

Thanks for the heads up. There's currently a good number of older S&W pistols at the show that I'd like to get, but I couldn't tell you what their numbers are because there were so many.

Nice map.

I understand what you are saying, the part of my reply you quoted was in response to another poster, who was prattling on about federal carry license and calling into question whether or not I was a gun owner or some stupid s**t.

Once again, I don't have a problem with reciprocity, I just have issue with the federal government getting involved with a states rights issue that is working for most of the country. In my opinion, the only way it would work is for the fed to make a license that goes with the most restrictive states way of doing things, not the least restrictive. States rights is a big thing at this time, as it should be, the fed stepping in and somehow making/forcing the states to go along, whether its to make it easier or harder to carry is going to be a problem. In Ohio and most other states there is no magazine limit or limits on the kind of ammo carried, some states there is, is the fed going to over turn those states laws, or ours? Are those states going to be the rule, or ours? I don't live in a state that decides if I carry hollow points or more than 10/ten rounds, or 7/seven, or a round in the chamber, fed steps in are they going to change those laws for the restrictive states, or mine?
More states have training stipulations than not, are they going to get rid of those, or make it go with the state that has the most training, or the least for that matter?

Like I said before, the concealed carry laws in most states are working pretty well, for the majority, I happen to be 1/one of those and am not looking forward to possibly loosing some of my rights because of a state that has more restrictions than mine.

Frankly, Here, I'm just not seeing how such fears and concerns have any actual basis in reality. The reciprocity thing doesn't empower the federal government to implement new rules and regulations regarding the validity of concealed carry permits for the states. It simply strips states of the ability to engage in isolationist, xenophobic standards when it comes to out of state individuals who have valid permits for the legal carrying of a concealed firearm. They're free to regulate home issue to whatever extent they wish, but they have to respect out of towners who are complying with the system in place.

It's also barring states from making any money off of people who honestly didn't know that their permit wasn't respected in a certain state, and being subjected to a trial and having to go broke by defending themselves against otherwise bogus charges.

Highway speeds in some states that go against fed laws, firearms laws that go against fed law, I'm sure theres more, but my point is, state law sometimes just goes against fed law, so the fed just making the states do what they want is not something that is definite.

There's nothing wrong with states being slapped for refusing to recognize and actually abide by the constitution.

For anyone that lives in a restrictive state, I'm sorry for that, but it's not my problem, its yours, don't like the laws there, move or do something about it. I and others shouldn't have to loose or even have the possibility of loosing our/my rights to get you/your state a taste of what we have.

Except there's no evidence that you're losing anything.

Now, the restrictive state thing, fed carry law, say I'm traveling to NY, or through to Maine, do I leave my magazines at home that hold more that 7/seven rounds, do I leave them at the state line? No, it means that I would have to not have them, so that would put me in the more restrictive category without even meaning too, just because of a stupid knee jerk law passed in response to propaganda. Fed going to say, no he's got an Ohio license, he can have those terrible high cap mags, no, they wont, I'll get a charge and loose money and my states license.

Or maybe, just maybe, if you have to travel through one of these states, you could actually research what the local laws are regarding magazine capacity and ammunition legality, and simply switch your load when going through the jurisdictions in question to make sure you're complying with the laws.

Possession of the ammunition or the high capacity magazines is still a crime in some states.

I am in no way trying to change your or any others minds about anything, just offered my concerns.

Honestly I couldn't care less whether anybody agrees with me, state or federal changes in the law don't concern me at this time or in the near future, just offered my opinion, didn't ask you to like it or agree with it.

I hope it works out.

Frankly, Here, I'm just not seeing how such fears and concerns have any actual basis in reality. The reciprocity thing doesn't empower the federal government to implement new rules and regulations regarding the validity of concealed carry permits for the states. It simply strips states of the ability to engage in isolationist, xenophobic standards when it comes to out of state individuals who have valid permits for the legal carrying of a concealed firearm. They're free to regulate home issue to whatever extent they wish, but they have to respect out of towners who are complying with the system in place.

Many times when Congress legislates matters that rightly belong to the States, Congress eventually over reaches. I have no doubt that should Congress now legislate carry reciprocity that they will not eventually feel emboldened to attempt to legislate carry requirements.

Back