• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Recommendation? Advice on selling another member's work

scarysamcary

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have recently gotten back into collecting and restoring antiques as a hobby alongside my blade smithing and collecting. Both are pretty expensive as a hobby, so I have to sell some of my pieces to make room for others. At least one of the pieces I am planning on selling on here was made by a fellow member and I was wondering what the polite way of asking their permission would be. The first step seems like I should reach out to these makers privately, but how would you go about asking? These makers are popular and I bought the pieces a while ago, so I would probably be selling them at a profit, so should I split the gains? I certainly wouldn't do that normally, but I have a great deal of respect for these guys.

I would appreciate any of your opinions.

I've sold a few knives to a few members here (private sales), and I wouldn't be the least bit bothered if they re-sold them, nor do I feel that they would need my permission or blessing.

I would however hope that they would sell them for more than what they paid for them, I would take that as a compliment and a sign that they consider the knives to be both valuable and of high quality. It would bother me if they sold them for less than what they paid. I would also never expect, nor want them to feel like they had to pay me any money from the sale. And if offered I would absolutely refuse.

People have many reasons for selling knives, so I wouldn't be at all offended if one of my buyers re-sold one. As far as I'm concerned once someone buys a knife from me, it's theirs, and they are free to do whatever they want with it

I don't think you are at all obligated to either ask for approval, or give the maker any more money. If you ask, and they disapprove of you selling, would you never sell the knife?

I can understand you not wanting to ruffle any feathers, but I think a knife maker should be enough of a grown-up to not be upset if someone re-sells their work. In fact, I would think they would be very interested, and happy to know that their work has sold for more than the original price (gone up in value).

Just one mans opinion.

I have recently gotten back into collecting and restoring antiques as a hobby alongside my blade smithing and collecting. Both are pretty expensive as a hobby, so I have to sell some of my pieces to make room for others. At least one of the pieces I am planning on selling on here was made by a fellow member and I was wondering what the polite way of asking their permission would be. The first step seems like I should reach out to these makers privately, but how would you go about asking? These makers are popular and I bought the pieces a while ago, so I would probably be selling them at a profit, so should I split the gains? I certainly wouldn't do that normally, but I have a great deal of respect for these guys.

I would appreciate any of your opinions.
If you paid full price from a maker for a knife, have had it for quite a while, and want to sell it for market value, I see no reason to seek permission from anyone. It is your property, do as you like. Now, if you got a big discount, won it, or came about it in some way other than paying asking price, that could make you look shady, but again, it is your property, do as you please.

Once you buy something, it is yours to with as you please. Consider that you are sharing the original makers work with others so that they can appreciate it and potentially buy more.

If a knife was Gifted, then sold without necessity.
That probably would be the last gift.

I'll have to think about This more, as to what my opinions are?

The 'Way of this World' will always include selling in order to cover new purchases, whatever they may be.

Custom Knives and transactions between makers and buyers can form a relationship. I get it.

The HIGHEST of praise for a maker is to see their work go for more than it sold for initially.

Unfortunate for many this does not always happen. Lots of factors. Prominence, availability, and desire plays a role.

So when you post and sell these knives you may simply mention your $$$ need. it's just business.

Good luck! Good of you to ask.

If you bought it, then it's yours to do with as you please if you think it's time to move it on down the road. I don't like flippers much, but you don't sound like a flipper.

I've sold a few knives to a few members here (private sales), and I wouldn't be the least bit bothered if they re-sold them, nor do I feel that they would need my permission or blessing.

I would however hope that they would sell them for more than what they paid for them, I would take that as a compliment and a sign that they consider the knives to be both valuable and of high quality. It would bother me if they sold them for less than what they paid. I would also never expect, nor want them to feel like they had to pay me any money from the sale. And if offered I would absolutely refuse.

People have many reasons for selling knives, so I wouldn't be at all offended if one of my buyers re-sold one. As far as I'm concerned once someone buys a knife from me, it's theirs, and they are free to do whatever they want with it

I don't think you are at all obligated to either ask for approval, or give the maker any more money. If you ask, and they disapprove of you selling, would you never sell the knife?

I can understand you not wanting to ruffle any feathers, but I think a knife maker should be enough of a grown-up to not be upset if someone re-sells their work. In fact, I would think they would be very interested, and happy to know that their work has sold for more than the original price (gone up in value).

Just one mans opinion.
What killgar said here goes for me also . I have had customers write me and ask if I would like to buy my knife back before they put it up for sale . A couple I did buy back .

No and no. If you bought the knife it’s your property to do with what you wish. The maker should expect nothing in terms of notice or share in proceeds. If it was a straight up business transaction so it should remain.

If you happen to be on friendly terms with a maker that is a slightly different story. For example I own a couple of pieces from a smith who regularly wins best in show at the blade show in his category, I consider him a friend. He sold me those pieces for what I now know was far less than market value at the time. On those pieces I would absolutely contact him first. They were gifted in a way, and I would treat them as such hence the difference.

I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm still gonna reach out to them privately to let them know, but I feel much more comfortable selling them for what they're worth. I bought these all for full price, so I'm sure they won't mind.

I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm still gonna reach out to them privately to let them know, but I feel much more comfortable selling them for what they're worth. I bought these all for full price, so I'm sure they won't mind.

If it’s something you feel is special and you don’t want to just list it on the open market, reach out to the maker asking if they know any of their customers who may want it. I’ve done this before and it’s worked well. You sell your knife, the buyer gets a handmade item from a maker they want without the wait and the maker is happy to satisfy two of their customers.

Win for everyone.

Back