Advice on throwing knife

w9q

Could you a advise a throwing knife of an average size, suitable for beginners training? The most important point - it must be strong, not to breake from unexperienced throws, and also it should comply with all restrictions and laws about cold weapon. The price below $50 is ok.

Thanks a lot.

Check out Cold Steels web page and look in the seconds (at the bottom). They have their True Flight Thrower for $15.99. To the right of that link they have their other throwers listed.

Cold Steel seconds page

Mike

IMO it is best to get 6" to 8" nails, cut off the head and round it off with a grinder and sharpen the point. These throwing spikes are tough and if you lose one you are out 25 cents plus the time you put into it, which isn't much. If they get dull after a while it is easy to resharpen them. They work best with the grind going back about 1.5" on the point. Rebar cut into 6" to 8" lengths also works well but they cost more and are a little more work with no increase in performance but are a good option if you can't find large nails. Smaller nails the size of commercial throwing spikes are OK but far too light for my taste.

Welcome to Bladeforums! I'll move this thread to the Throwing Knife Forum for you. You'll find a great deal of valuable info on that forum. :cool:

The throwing spikes are admirably cheap, but rather difficult to throw.

Most enthusiasts like rather large thowers; they're just easier to manage, and not so critical as to grip placement and so forth. I found a pair of "the worlds largest throwing knife" (modeled on the common "silver wing" design) in the Bud K catalogue for 12 bucks each.

Sadly, they don't seem to have them any more, though searching through some of the oriental MA suppliers sites may yield something.

(Might have been the only worthwhile thing in the entire catalogue, Bud K sells junk...)

Whatever you decide on, get two or three- you can do more throwing and less walking/picking up.

Back