1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Advise for a proper frankenaxe ....

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by schmittie, Jul 23, 2012.

1. schmittie

schmittie Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Until I poured through review after review, along with many of your comments here, it hadn't occured to me to have a small axe with a longer handle as a compromise. Something along the lines of the Wetterlings larger hunters or GB small forest axe. I've often carried both axe and hatchet for camping trips. Currently its a Fiskars combo. Although, they are fine and adaquate tools, there seems to be something just plain wrong in holding a plastic handled axe when prepping wood for a fire.

My problem is I apparently have the beer budget. I do enjoy a good project and have been in the lookout for an appropriate head. But, I would hate to pair up too small of head with too long of a handle. Any suggestions?

2. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    What exactly will the axe be used for? Just splitting camp fire wood? You say you've carried both an axe and a hatchet before. What were their approx. weights? Which did you prefer? Are you looking for something in between?

3. schmittie

schmittie Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Yes, as I mentioned, looking for a compromise. It looks like the X7 head weight is 1.28, maybe 2+ for the axe. With handles and sheaths, total weight I'm guessing exceeds 5-6 lbs.

I suppose I prefer the hatchet but it makes splitting quite the chore. I would really like to try something with about a 20" handle.

4. ljcsov

ljcsov

Mar 2, 2012
    Not sure of your budget, but I can recommend the following...

Wetterlings Large Hunters Axe - 19" Handle, 1.5lb Head, Super Sharp, Very Packable
    CT Hudson Bay - 26" Handle, 1.75lb, Needs some work upon arrival, however the hudson bay style head allows you to choke up for the small work like a carpenter axe.
    Boys Axe? - 28" handle, 2.25lb - this is a heavier option

If you are used to hauling the weight, you could even go with a full sized 3.5lb head. You would have to think about the handle / head pattern combination to determine what type of feel you want. I have a Jersey on a 30" handle right now that feels great when used like a hatchet, perhaps due to the shorter bit on the jersey head.

5. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Unless you've used one and you know that you like a 20" haft then I would shy away from that. For me 18" is about a large as I want to swing one-handed (except choked up). And for 2-handed work I think that less than about 24" really isn't very useful. There's just a no-mans land in there at 20"-22", IMO.