Review AEB-L Custom Chef Knife by Robert Erickson - 2 year review

Ok folks this is my first posting on this forum and way way way overdue. I bought a custom made chef knife from him back on July 2018 and I was supposed to post a review right away but when I tried to upload pictures on the post it didn't work and so I gave up trying. I believe based on my success today, that it had to do with the Web Browser I was using (Opera) and the fact that I don't know how to post photos in this forum and from the looks of it, still do not.

When I was first looking for a knife to be made, I specifically read these forum posts in the beginning to find a knife maker whose works were in line with what I had in mind for a personal chef knife. These were based on what I was reading on forums, seeing on TV (Forged in Fire, LOL) and personal tastes. I reached out to Robert Erickson Robert Erickson and he was more than helpful in getting me to decide on a number of factors on it's design. Ultimately I was sold on AEB-L because it was something I wanted to give a try to based on the bevel thinness and the hardness scale it is able to reach at very thin bevels. Well here are the before and after photos, but please don't harp on my abuse of the knife for no other reason than I was able to give a real world use/take on it's durability, sharpness and edge retention as well as it's stainless properties, which you will see one small blemish from citrus fruit left accidentally on the blade, otherwise it has held up very well.

Just one thing to note about all of this, after spending over $250 (won't say real price as I don't want current customers of Robert Erickson to use it to bargain with) on a Chef's knife, I completely abused it to see just how strong this metal is and let me tell you; I used it to chop a dogs bullystick on multiple occassions to break the costco 12" sticks into 6". There were about 12-15 per bag and I used this knife on all of them. I stopped once I realized that although the edge sharpness never wavered, the blade suffered a wobble. After all of that I only had to sharpen (not hone), the knife once in two years (refrained from doing so as I can't replicate a zero degree bevel like a benchgrinder or buffer can). Enjoy the photos and be easy on me guys, I am not a knife maker so my abuse of it is kind of real world application.

See photos in reply Post as I just figured it out.

2jEqGcm

2jEmkJB

2jEmkG2

2jEpKz4

2jEqG9A

2jEqG88

2jEqG6K

2jEqGtJ

2jEpKTL

2jEqGoU

2jEpKP2

2jEmkSY

2jEqGi3

2jEpKG8

2jEmkAf

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to review one of my knives. It's good to see it can take some abuse and come out relatively well.
If you want to, send it back I can see if there's anything I can do about the edge deformation. I can also spruce up the Ironwood.
If that interests you email me at robertericksonknives@gmail.com and we can work on getting the knife back here for a little "spa treatment"
Thanks!

Thank you for taking the time to review one of my knives. It's good to see it can take some abuse and come out relatively well.
If you want to, send it back I can see if there's anything I can do about the edge deformation. I can also spruce up the Ironwood.
If that interests you email me at robertericksonknives@gmail.com and we can work on getting the knife back here for a little "spa treatment"
Thanks!
I may just take you up on that after possibly ordering another knife. Looking at replacing my Zwilling Forged paring knife. So in the coming months, I may contact you on what petty / paring knives you have on hand or may order a custom to match. I will be in touch and thanks again for the beautiful Chef's knife

A properly ground kitchen/chef knife is not for chopping raw hides and bully sticks!!

You are lucky it was ABEL, and not 1095 or other more brittle steel!!

I remember my father in law trying to chop through the hip ball on a cooked ham bone with a chef knife.

Crushed a dime sized section of the edge!

A properly ground kitchen/chef knife is not for chopping raw hides and bully sticks!!

You are lucky it was ABEL, and not 1095 or other more brittle steel!!

I remember my father in law trying to chop through the hip ball on a cooked ham bone with a chef knife.

Crushed a dime sized section of the edge!
Yes you are certainly right. I had read so much about AEB-L I was confident in its ability but did not think about the lateral movement as well. I really put a chop on it for each strike and I am more than amazed at its ability. Now that I know it's capabilities I will never use it as a chopper again. Now I know how truly special of a metal it is, it is my go to slicer for everything. The only thing I may have done differently if I had to do it again, would be to thicken the spine a little to texture it some so the vegetables do not stick to it, otherwise this knife is flawless to me.

I really like the shape of the blade. Like a giant chef's Kephart. I've always admired his knives and have enjoyed watching them get better and better.

I really like the shape of the blade. Like a giant chef's Kephart. I've always admired his knives and have enjoyed watching them get better and better.
You're right. Possibly why I may wait a little while to request a sister paring knife. Some of his newer stuff is beautiful and he experiments a bit more. For part time he is great. Would love to see what full time would bring.

That's a beauty! Must be a pleasure to use.
Yes. Handle contour is like second skin and slices veggies like butter. Highly recommend him. He knows how to properly form a distal taper, heat treat and to shape the bevel.

Back