AEB-L vs. CPM154 vs. S35VN

I am looking to have three custom knives made, an 8" chef, a 6" slicer, and a 3" parer. I am torn between the three steels. Any thoughts on which might make a better choice, and why?

This could be useful: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/05/20/how-to-pick-the-best-steel-for-every-knife/

It depends a bit on how they will be ground and used. If you want heavy choppers you want more toughness, a very sharp slicer more hardness and edge retention.
Also, can the maker cryo treat it during heat treatment?

I'm vegetarian and lean towards thin slicing knives, so I would lean towards the S35VN. if it were for someone who is dismembering chickens on a regular basis then the AEB-L.
That said, i would probably be happy with the AEB-L at around 62rc. It would be easier to sharpen.

Alex, your answer is counterintuitive to me. Are you steering to edge retention with the AEB-L with the chickens, with nicking the bones? Again, this is not a set of choppers, just three knives I want to pass on to my daughters. I want the best balance.

My understanding, the extra toughness from AEB-L should allow it to deal with impacts a bit better but won't hold an edge for as long. Nicking bones and general rough use will damage the edge of less tough steels, but that is true for all steels
At the end of the day, if you're not a nerd about it you won't really notice. They can all make good knives.
Is the maker more experienced with one steel?

edit: metallurgy is a rabbit hole, but i don't think there is really a wrong answer here

Last edited:
His primary experience is with 154CM/CPM154, but he's made thin knives in S30V. This is my conundrum.

If he has the most experience with cpm154 then that’s what I recommend. Unless you want your knives to be his learning experience for aeb-l or s35vn.

All three are very good options you can’t go wrong with so might as well use what he has the most experience with.

This. I use AEB-L but I doubt that you would ever regret buying CPM154 if the guy knows how to treat it right. That goes for any of the three steels mentioned. Go with the one that the maker knows best. He probably likes it for some very good reason.
If he has the most experience with cpm154 then that’s what I recommend. Unless you want your knives to be his learning experience for aeb-l or s35vn.

All three are very good options you can’t go wrong with so might as well use what he has the most experience with.

If all else were equal, high-hardness AEB-L is hard to beat for kitchen knives, but in this case, all else is not equal, so I'd say go with what the maker is most comfortable with for heat treating. If they send out for heat treat, though, AEB-L at high RC would be least expensive and my first choice.

Thank you all, for the input. I failed to mention that I intend to someday gift these knives to my daughters, who have zero interest in my collection of tactical and hunting knives, with the exception of the automatics by one. They want my cast iron cookware. I want them to have something sharp and pointy to carve up protein and veg to put into those. They also have no desire to do routine maintenance of the basics, so while I can get something special out of AEB-L, perhaps S35VN might be a better option? Or will the end result of going to 1200 grit be about the same, and edge retention similar? Yes, I am a nerd about this.

Thank you all, for the input. I failed to mention that I intend to someday gift these knives to my daughters, who have zero interest in my collection of tactical and hunting knives, with the exception of the automatics by one. They want my cast iron cookware. I want them to have something sharp and pointy to carve up protein and veg to put into those. They also have no desire to do routine maintenance of the basics, so while I can get something special out of AEB-L, perhaps S35VN might be a better option? Or will the end result of going to 1200 grit be about the same, and edge retention similar? Yes, I am a nerd about this.
Again, i dont think there will be any noticeable difference at all. They are similar steels. If the steel wasnt marked i doubt anyone could pick them apart from one another.

Back