Aesthetically, what is your favorite production blade finish?

Favorite production blade finish?

• Bead Blast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stonewash

• Satin

• Coated (TiNi, DLC, etc.)

• Total voters
Just like the title says. Mirror/high polish not an option since that almost always requires hand work to achieve.

Not from a functional point of view, simply based on aesthetics. What looks the best to your eyes?

I like the stonewash.It keeps the scrathes on the blade to a minimium.

Satin, usually.

Bead blasting doesn't look bad on some knives. Coated blades usually looks cheap and mall-ninja-ish - makes me wonder what imperfections are being hidden.

Stonewashed? I don't have any of those, that I know of anyway. Can someone list an example or two?

The Chris Reeve Sebenza is a good example of a stonewashed blade. Another name for it would be ceramic tumbled.

THG

Hmm... Is there a chart that shows what each of these is? I know what mirror (not on the list) and bead-blast look like. Not too sure about the others, though.

The Chris Reeve Sebenza is a good example of a stonewashed blade. Another name for it would be ceramic tumbled.
Thanks. I don't have one of those, but based on photographs I'd say the finish falls aesthetically between satin and bead blasted. Not quite as 'pretty' as a nice satin blade, a utilitarian finish without the coarse texture of bead blasting and lacking the wannabe overtones associated with coatings.

I selected bead blasted, but I'm not sure that's right. Whatever finish EnZo is putting on their blades is what I like.

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
Anything but coated looks good to me.

I like satin finish. I do not like mirror polish at all. Not real crazy about bead blast either. I like stone wash too. But, satin finish is my favorite.

kda89508

Gold Member
I like the satin finish the best. I dont like BT coated blades and some stonewash is good. Satin just looks better to me. Kevin :thumbup:

A satin finish is the easiest to make a knife look like new again. Let me give you an example. Everyone knows what the satin finish on a Buck looks like. If you have one with scratches, sand across the finish with a 400 grit sandpaper until they're gone. Then use a green Scotchbrite wheel on a bench grinder on it. Sharpen it properly and there ya go. I'm gonna to do a Buck 112 tonite.

Mirror/high polish not an option since that almost always requires hand work to achieve.
Not true....for example, check out Victorinox or Wenger swiss army knives.

I prefer mirror polished blades the most, but some coated ones are rather nice too.

I hate bead-blasted the most.

I'll take satin or mirror-finish all the time. As for coated, well....pfffffffffft. That's the sign of a lazy knifemaker as far as I'm concerned.

I'll take satin or mirror-finish all the time. As for coated, well....pfffffffffft. That's the sign of a lazy knifemaker as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. Voted satin, but like mirror finish too.

Although the OP specified aesthetics, I can't stand the look of coated/painted or otherwise rough finished blades as I know they don't cut nearly as well as they could.

Sort of like judging a dented-up car's aerodynamics.

Daniel Dorn

Gold Member
My highest preference is for a black-Ti coated Mirror polished, or satin blade. I have the Alaskan Guide Cabela's 110 with the coated blade, and it's beautiful! I can't stand a black Teflon coating, though, at least for looks.

My second choice is just plain ol' satin finished.

Bead blasted comes in a distant last to all other finishes.

DD