Affordable custom folders?

This is probably going to be like trying to squeeze blood from a turnip, but here goes - Are there any "affordable" custom folders out there? When I say "affordable", I mean less than $300 as much as possible. I know that "semi-custom" knives like the sebenza and those by William Henry go for less than that, but are any fully custom folders in the same price range? $400 seems to be some magic level for most custom folders in that they can not go for any less. Any ideas or should I just continue to pound sand?

Thanks in advance.

There are many makers that have folders that are $300.00 or under, and they are really good knives as well. One member of this forum that is definitely in that range is Ferret. This Aussie makes some great knives and they are priced right. Another who's knives start around $300.00 is A.T. Barr and this is another maker who's knives are incredible. I think Keith Coleman also has some knives around that price. I am sure you will find that quite a few makers will be able to help you and I am sure you are going to hear from some of them.

There are a quite a few, but the first one that comes to mind is a guy who has been making reasonably priced ones for years - Dick Atkinson.

Look at some of the Brazilian knifemakers. I just recently got a Dobruski Atlantis from Mauro Machado at Taymo... http://www.taymo.com/en/ . Mine happens to be the Atlantis pictured w/Violeta Paraense wood. The knife was in the Mid $200's and the fit and finish is outstanding and would be very comparable to a American maker with a mid $400 knife. Mauro is very easy to work with and is highly recommended and Dobruski is a great craftsman.

Take care,
Tom

If you have an urge for a wonderful forged 52100 steel folder, look no further than Mastersmith Ed Caffrey. His Progression II folder is an absolute beauty, a wonderful performer and is priced right at your limit. You may have to wait awhile, but will be rewarded greatly.

Keith Coleman does very nice work at around the $300 range.

While I haven't seen his work personally, Mike Obenauf? is said to offer a lot of knife in the $300 range. Working under the watchful eye of Kit Carson he is bound to be one to watch.

A reasonably priced maker that I recommend would be Paul Myers from East Alton, Illinois. He generally makes traditional style slip joints and lockbacks but he will use thumb studs if asked. He made me a great lockback with a thumbstud with jugged bone scales and wonderful filework at an incredibly low price, much cheaper than the cost of a Sebenza or some of the high-end William henrys.

As mentioned above:

Mike Obenauf
many Brazilian makers.

Obenauf has been getting a lot of positive press lately. I have some of his knives en-route to me this week, I got mine from AZCK & Phoenix blades, you need to jump on them quick because they don't last long.

You should also look at Jeff Angelo, I did a review on one of his gents flippers a couple of weeks ago and Bladeart still has some at $250, which is a steal.

Knifeart also has some great pieces by Angelo all in the $300 range.

This little flipper from Brian Geyer is only $150 at Knifeart as well, not familiar with the maker but it looks pretty nice...

(Picture is from Knifeart.com)

Originally posted by blademan 13
If you have an urge for a wonderful forged 52100 steel folder, look no further than Mastersmith Ed Caffrey. His Progression II folder is an absolute beauty, a wonderful performer and is priced right at your limit. You may have to wait awhile, but will be rewarded greatly.
Sound good to me. Have you got any pics? More info, please.
TIA. :)

I can vouch for the Brian Geyer flipper. It is very, very light and the blade came well ground and sharp. The finish is fine, at the least the equal of carbon fiber William Henrys. The fact that it is a flipper makes it look a bit less tactical than a knife with a stud on it. It comes with a nylon sheath and it so light that it makes a great literal pocket knife if one choses to carry it that way.

Originally posted by anthony cheeseboro
I can vouch for the Brian Geyer flipper....

I'm glad to see someone has one of these, I've been kicking it around for a while but never took the plunge.

I've found that most of the S. African makers produce excellent quality at very reasonable prices...

...'TRUE', meaning I ordered this one from Peter Marker with my choice of materials. delivered for ** $185.00 ** US funds. (Peter is from Australia) Damasteel damascus blade with mokume insert too.

All of above choices are good--especially Dick Atkinson's work. His stuff is on eBay all the time for a song. I have one in my pocket right now. Less than $100 delivered! Sheesh! Lot's of good purveyors have them too.

Coop

Peter Marker knife pic and thread

I've been carrying one of Brian Geyer's carbon-fibre folders for a month or more. I selected one with a blade he'd ground scary thin so it cuts like crazy! A very, very lightweight knife which is a pleasure to carry, and the full length alloy spacer means that although it's slim & trim it is strong.

If LarryC at KnifeArt runs out of them try contacting Brian directly at +27 2831 63307 (phone, fax on request) or via his good friend Des Horn at deshorn@mweb.co.za.

South African knives are literally a "steal" right now for American buyers. With the SA Rand sliding to over 12 to the Dollar their price to quality ratio can't be beat! Look out for guys like Lourens Prinsloo, Louis Van Der Walt, George Baartman, Graham Sparks, Des Horn, Mike Skellern . . . to name but a few.

Regards, HILTON

Let me recommend Keith Coleman again. He does some very nice work at and around the $300.00 mark. :D

Chad mentioned bladeart above.

Spend some weeks checking out his "clearance" section. Larry sometimes sells below cost just to move inventory, often below $300.

Find him at www.bladeart.com

Tony Huffman offers some fine work in the low $200-$300+ range, traditional slipjoints but also "modern" linerlocks with traditional styling:

http://www.tonyhuffmanknives.homestead.com/

I haven't handled any of his work but have considered ordering. (Money, money ...) He is, I believe, a part-time maker. I know some folks here do have his knives; learned about him here, after all. Maybe someone else can say more.

Happy holidays all --

Glen

well dont forget about little ol' me. Hi im charles marlowe, iv been making knives for, well 10 years this april. most of my folders start under $300, all linerlocks at this point. will be getting digital camera soon, so can send pics of new models, but for now,you can go to the AG Russel site, and look under handmade knives, scroll down about 2/3 the page, i have three knives there. or look on pg 44 of the fall 01'catalog

Charles Marlowe
Marlowe Knives
402-375-4928

Back