1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

AFOII: Any Good?

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by Mitch Taldison, Jul 11, 2019.

1. fly36gti

fly36gti

May 28, 2016
    That is an AFO (1). Not a bad knife. But the AFO 2 is just plain Bad Ass!
    Ain't no other way to say it, one of my all time favorites. I got a push button/plunger for AFO (1) that is .100" longer, much easier to deploy with gloves, AFO is gone but the plunger remains.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  2. fly36gti

fly36gti

May 28, 2016
    CRK don't even compare. Every CRK I've had apart runs their washers on a sandblasted surface! No Swiss watch would do that. Let's talk about grip and retention. AFO EVERY TIME! Sorry, CRK = gent knife.

3. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    Just FYI, washers aren't meant to spin, so the handle side being rough shouldn't have any affect on anything.

4. fly36gti

fly36gti

May 28, 2016
    Just FYI they do turn.
    Every CRK washer I've seen looks like a phonograph record on the handle side showing that the uneven surfaces of the golden areas don't have the same serface tension when oil or grease are applied as the polished golden areas of the blade. On the golden area of the blade the washer has 100% contact. On the rough golden areas of the handle maybe 50(?)% contact, why do that? Why not get as much surface contact as possible? It's only logical and from an engineering point of view and its the correct way.
    If washers went made to spin they can be pinned, tabbed or not used at all.
    I really hope this answered your questions.

Thanks

5. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    I work on a boat (pushes barges) and i passed this knife on to one of my buddies who happens to be a tankerman. He has used the knife for his everyday duties and it has held up well. Greetings from the lake in Memphis. PhotoPictureResizer_190714_125720457-2268x3024.jpg paint on boat looks shoddy currently, we are in the middle of painting season

jacksterp, Nbrackett and Lapedog like this.
  6. fly36gti

fly36gti

May 28, 2016
    That's a 9050sbk, uses no washers, bad ass knife!

willard0341 likes this.
  7. Mitch Taldison

Mitch Taldison

Jan 26, 2019
    Thanks, yall.

Here is a photo of the knife. Is it an AFO or AFOII? How can you tell?

[​IMG]

8. mrfields

mrfields

Jun 30, 2017
    i believe that is a 9051 afoII. if i’ve got it right the original 9050 afo had a smaller lock button like in the picture in post #25 above.

Cypress likes this.
  9. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Amazing. My favorite auto :)