After Buck..What??

My Dad bought my first Buck, my Grandfather bought my first Case. Both small traditional folders. I been collecting both ever since. Schrade, Uncle Henry and Camillus too. GEC fills in most of those gaps now. I don't see these as competitors, they complement each other (like OH said). My EDC also includes a Leatherman and SAK.

EDC_01.jpg

Check out the knife maker's for sale area here on the forum.
There are some talented folks with some nice offerings sometimes.
Some of them will even make things to order.

Or you could even open a savings account........:rolleyes:

I think of what I've experienced, I like the Case slipjoint patterns better than the Bucks, but I like the lockback and fixed blade Bucks better than the Case equivalent. Not to say either are bad, just my preference.

Outside of that, I mostly dabble in moderns like Spyderco and Kershaw along with whatever else is good quality and interests me. Life is too short to stick to one brand only, you'll miss out on some real treasures.

As far as Randall goes they are really nice knives, never having handled one I'm not really an authority on them. Wouldn't the 440B they are made of put it roughly on par with AUS-8? At the prices they go for it sounds to me like more of a luxury or enthusiast's item than a practical piece. Nothing wrong with owning something just because you like it.

What interested me about the Randall collectors was how knowledgeable they were about minute changes in the models over the years. At the Gator Show the collectors Society had the finest displays up to that point (2011) I had ever seen especially in value of the knives. One display I looked at contained easily over $25,000.00 worth of knives. And there wasn't that many in the case. I think I was inspired right then to assemble the finest collection of odd and rare 112's that my limited budget,time and knowledge would allow. I hung around that section to listen and maybe learn how to improve my Buck collection. One thing I picked up on was just how long some of those guys would wait to buy a particular knife they had heard about. And keeping records and pictures.
What I like especially about Buck is at some point they made a knife for every purpose. And with a few exceptions (like the Sunfish) most popular patterns.

I've collected some Buck 112 models especially buildouts with a 450 Protege blade variants. I always wished they did a finger-grooved version of such a buildout. I never warmed up to a 110 versus Old Timer 7OT Cave Bear or Uncle Henry LB7 Bear Paw.

I favor Schrade USA a lot more on classic knives. Not only because of preference, but because their pocket knife selection was huge.The 119 may have mainstream popularity but I felt Schrade was years ahead of Buck...especially if the "Sharpfinger" and "Deerslayer" models are mentioned.

I've collected some Buck 112 models especially buildouts with a 450 Protege blade variants. I always wished they did a finger-grooved version of such a buildout. I never warmed up to a 110 versus Old Timer 7OT Cave Bear or Uncle Henry LB7 Bear Paw.

I favor Schrade USA a lot more on classic knives. Not only because of preference, but because their pocket knife selection was huge.The 119 may have mainstream popularity but I felt Schrade was years ahead of Buck...especially if the "Sharpfinger" and "Deerslayer" models are mentioned.
Buck obviously survived the others. Well done Buck.:thumbsup:

I try not to own too many knives by any one brand... But Buck, GEC, Case, Victorinox, and Spyderco are exceptions to the rule. They just have too many winners at reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Before Buck.....I collected CROSMAN BLADES before I started collecting Bucks. It was an offshoot of collecting vintage air guns which included many early Crosmans.
I didn't think there were all that many Crosman knives throughout the years, saw a nice Camillus made Crosman lockback on the bay last year that I liked.
Probably better that I didn't get it though as it was more of a collector piece and I use my knives.

I love Crosman as well ( the custom shop and 13xx series guns are their only current offerings I'd ever buy ) and think they were very important to America.
My earliest Crosmans are '65 140 and a '65 180, but I have some 70's Crosmans, 80's Crosmans, 90's Crosmans ( the '97 H9a is my favorite pistol ) and more recent Crosmans. My first was a 664gt aka special version of the 66 powermaster.
As with my knives, they're all users and I don't really collect so I don't have anything mint or super special.

I collect mainly Buck ,the rest I wouldn't classify as a collection,I have a model 25 trapper ,new in the box I bought at Kittery trading post years ago And just can't justify ever using it,Along with quite a few case and boker pocket knives ,a few bladetech,no benchmades or spyderco at all.

Some of my best Bucks were stolen in a breakin years ago so my collecting days went south in fear of another theft.most of my knives now are users.

My first knife purchase was a 501 then a buck120. Then I went to moderns. After camping with my son's cub scout pack I went back to buck and finally bought my favorite knife. The 110 fg. Then a 55 to replace one lost. I recently have been buying more traditional knives and have acquired boker more boker sloingen made blades. Although I would like a GEC

I’ve become a fan of the vintage Kershaws. Very well made. Examples: The 1040 & 1055 finger-groove lockbacks and the 1993-2 Gentleman’s folder.

Maybe....another Buck?

I like spyderco, GEC, and others, as well as fixed blades. However Buck has my attention currently, probably more than ever.

Last edited:
Back