Aftermarket stones for the Sharpmaker

Hello, I remember reading a post on here a while ago about some different stones from Congress tool being used in the Sharpmaker. If I remember correctly some were trying the ruby stones (and a few others) I never really followed up on it after that. I was wondering if anyone had any luck with them. Thanks

Can't help you with the ones from Congress, however I can tell you that I have all 4 sets of stones from Spyderco and don't personally have the need for anything else. Hair whittling sharp is plenty good enough for me. :)

I am using congress stones with my sharpmaker for more than two years.
I bought five pairs to try different stones: ruby in 150 and 320 grit, moldmaster in 240 grit, flex in 150 and 320 grit. I am using them dry. Ruby and moldmaster works very fast, and I am using them the most. Flex is much slowly, but leaving better finish.
Please, keep in your mind, that these stones were not designed or made for sharpmaker. Some of them will not fit the base, some can be little loose. Out of my 10 stones, one doesn't fit. Moldmaster stones fit very tight, ruby more loose than standard stones (I do not see too much problem here, may be one degree difference).
In general, I am happy with congress stones, they are not expensive and do their job.

I am using congress stones with my sharpmaker for more than two years.
I bought five pairs to try different stones: ruby in 150 and 320 grit, moldmaster in 240 grit, flex in 150 and 320 grit. I am using them dry. Ruby and moldmaster works very fast, and I am using them the most. Flex is much slowly, but leaving better finish.
Please, keep in your mind, that these stones were not designed or made for sharpmaker. Some of them will not fit the base, some can be little loose. Out of my 10 stones, one doesn't fit. Moldmaster stones fit very tight, ruby more loose than standard stones (I do not see too much problem here, may be one degree difference).
In general, I am happy with congress stones, they are not expensive and do their job.

So would you suggest the moldmaster stones over the ruby due to the fit in the sharpmaker? How long does reprofiling take with the 150 grit and have you used it on harder steel (s30v, D2, zdp189, etc). I want to give these congress stones a shot since they are cheap, I dont really feel like spending a ton of money on DMT diamond stuff for reprofiling, which is the route I was about to go until I saw these threads about congress stones. Thanks

So would you suggest the moldmaster stones over the ruby due to the fit in the sharpmaker? How long does reprofiling take with the 150 grit and have you used it on harder steel (s30v, D2, zdp189, etc). I want to give these congress stones a shot since they are cheap, I dont really feel like spending a ton of money on DMT diamond stuff for reprofiling, which is the route I was about to go until I saw these threads about congress stones. Thanks

My understanding (although all six of the Ruby stones I got fit fine in the SM base) is that it varies from stone to stone just as much, if not more so, than from line to line. The Congress stones aren't designed to fit precisely into a holder, so there's no reason for them to get their dimensions as exact and variation-free as the SharpMaker stones (inherently, necessarily) are.

My understanding (although all six of the Ruby stones I got fit fine in the SM base) is that it varies from stone to stone just as much, if not more so, than from line to line. The Congress stones aren't designed to fit precisely into a holder, so there's no reason for them to get their dimensions as exact and variation-free as the SharpMaker stones (inherently, necessarily) are.

Thanks. What grits are you using? They are pretty cheap though, I will probably get some ruby stones and give it a shot. I should probably learn to sharpen freehand, but I havent felt brave enough yet.

Did anyone notice this thread here? Interesting info.

Cut paper to fit, leaving about a half-inch excess on each end. Use the bulldog clips to hold the paper firmly to the sharpmaker rods, and sharpen with a draw motion, choil to tip. It works like a charm!

Just thought I'd throw this out as an alternative...If need be, I can post a pic or two...

Did anyone notice this thread here? Interesting info.

Cut paper to fit, leaving about a half-inch excess on each end. Use the bulldog clips to hold the paper firmly to the sharpmaker rods, and sharpen with a draw motion, choil to tip. It works like a charm!

Just thought I'd throw this out as an alternative...If need be, I can post a pic or two...

What is a bulldog clip? So you would sharpen with the edge trailing using sandpaper right?

Bulldog or aka Binder clips:

attachment.php

I use 3 of the 1/2 inch ones per side. Wrap the sandpaper around the ceramic, and clip the ends together with the paper pulled tight.

Edge trailing strokes with 320 grit wet paper (used dry) will knock the shoulders off fairly fast. Then on to the 400 grit, medium stones, fine stones, (stones used as intended) and finish with a green loaded strop.

I've used automotive wet paper (again using it dry) in 240 grit with good fast results.

Attachments

• binder clip.jpg
    binder clip.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 620
Bulldog or aka Binder clips:

attachment.php

I use 3 of the 1/2 inch ones per side. Wrap the sandpaper around the ceramic, and clip the ends together with the paper pulled tight.

Edge trailing strokes with 320 grit wet paper (used dry) will knock the shoulders off fairly fast. Then on to the 400 grit, medium stones, fine stones, (stones used as intended) and finish with a green loaded strop.

I've used automotive wet paper (again using it dry) in 240 grit with good fast results.

Thanks SPX. I will probably go that route.

Hay Anti, just a helpful note: stay away from garnet paper. Find the aluminum oxide or better yet the silicon carbide paper. You'll get much better results.

Hay Anti, just a helpful note: stay away from garnet paper. Find the aluminum oxide or better yet the silicon carbide paper. You'll get much better results.

Ive never heard of garnet paper. Thanks for the heads up though.

So would you suggest the moldmaster stones over the ruby due to the fit in the sharpmaker? How long does reprofiling take with the 150 grit and have you used it on harder steel (s30v, D2, zdp189, etc).

I do not know if variation in size depends on product line. I do not know which stone will fit better, these stones were not design to use with sharpmaker.
Most of my EDCs are VG10 and only one in S30V. Reprofiling was taking about 15 -20 minutes.
If I buy more stones I would buy moldmaster because it is silicon carbide, which is harder than aluminum oxide, which used for Ruby.

Back