Aftershock Bolo MYSTERY! Where's Sherlock?

Walking Man

BANNED
I recently bought an Aftershock Bolo #86 from Grey Wolf.
On the blade it has a 86 and the Busse logo stamped.
BUT on the handle (below the grind) and on the end of the knife there are lots of little spots that tell me that it was coated at one time.
Also, inside the talon holes there is coating.
What happened to this knife?
While I don't know much about the history of the Bolo, it would seem to me that perhaps only the handle area was coated, but the blade never was.
The blade looks pretty well polished also, so may be that was the case,
or maybe the whole thing was originally coated and the shop restamped the knife? (althought there's still lots of spots on the handle.)
So if anyone knows about this knife, please let me know.
I'm also interested in a little history about the Bolo (how many were made, were any actually originally coated or what?
I'll TRY to get a couple pics on later. thanks. (scanner is a little messed up)

I am betting that what you are seeing is raw INFI, not coating. I think the raw, unground steel has a dark, nearly black look to it. If you ever see thae back side of the picture knives that Jerry sold in the extravaganza (I am assuming that they were made from INFI also, but I might be wrong.) I have had several AS Bolos come through my collection and I have never seen a coated one or one that even appeared coated. I am not saying there weren't any, but I haven't seen one. Unless of course you count Crowinghorse's Bolo Heart Variant, which was coated, but that is a different animal.

Congrats on your Aftershock!

The spots (dimples) on the ricasso and pommel are normal for Infi blades. Unless the stock is ground thinner the dimples will remain at the surface.

I suppose the darkness in the dimples and talon holes could definitely be remnants of coating from a coated BM blank, heat treat scuzz (carbon build up???), or even polishing gunk:p

Now lets see those pics:cool:

Strabs said:
Congrats on your Aftershock!

The spots (dimples) on the ricasso and pommel are normal for Infi blades. Unless the stock is ground thinner the dimples will remain at the surface.

I suppose the darkness in the dimples and talon holes could definitely be remnants of coating from a coated BM blank, heat treat scuzz (carbon build up???), or even polishing gunk:p

Now lets see those pics:cool:

When you say "Also, inside the talon holes there is coating" it really makes me want to see some pics. If it was raw INFI the inside of the holes holes should be satin since they were drilled. Strabs thought of a coated blank turned into an aftershock would go a long way to explaining interally coated talon holes.

DM, I don't have a camera only a scanner and a cellphone with a crappy camera. I'll definately get back to this thread, but I've got to take of some things today.
thanks.

I have Bolo # 5 and it absolutely, positively has black coating in the talon holes, as well as one tiny spot of black coating on the handle spine.

I have Bolo #10, The (2) holes are not drilled, they were cut out by the water jet or lazer (or whatever Jerry uses, the line in the holes are parallel to the sides) and are some what black appearing from heat treat. I have included a couple of pictures of the INFI dimples to see if that is what is what is being described as "a lot of little spots".

Yes,
thanks for the pics.
that's it.
With the newer, better finishes, I just didn't imagine that Jerry would send knives out like that. :confused:
I guess I was wrong.
thanks.

Walking Man said:
Yes,
thanks for the pics.
that's it.
With the newer, better finishes, I just didn't imagine that Jerry would send knives out like that. :confused:
I guess I was wrong.
thanks.

Man, those dimples are proof that's it's real INFI and not melted down CBL cans that Jerry uses every few weeks when the Dumpster gets full (these are usually 1 offs that he sells to Porkerson for big $$$ and will never get used anyway)

HOGS love those dimples. Never seen another steel with them.

Rob

I was not talking about the INFI dimples. The bevels on the talon holes have spots of black coating on them.

The little dots are most likely surface pinholes in the full thickness steel.

Use a loup or some other form of 6X to 20X manification.

I recived that knife as a special order from Busse,,,it was at the time to be part of a trend in numbers for me,,,,just in case I wanted to "86" Some thing.

I suspect the the darkness in the holes is oxidation or a ntirate/nitrite left from the heat treat and just not polished out by the Factory.

Busse knives were made to beat,,,the finish and fit continues to improve with time as more collectible knives get produced, some of the knives look a little rough,

Not at all important since a little use will change the cosmetic apperance much more.

The vast majority of Busse knives were made to Beat not to be kept neat.

perhaps its possible that coating is involved even with factory satin blades from busse? i recall mention of the handle slab area of the knife being coated to help with corrosian resistence....

Walking Man said:
Yes,
thanks for the pics.
that's it.
I guess I was wrong.
thanks.

If you are not happy with i bet a few of us would take it off your hands!! Nice blade IMHO.

You know, INFI dimples are something to be proud of. I'd have them on every blade if I could :cool:

Yep, I'm with Andre. It's just an area that wasn't polished out. My choil on my ZTSJ wi like that. All black coated. I wondered about it at the beginning, but then started cutting. No worries mate!

Cheers,
BJB :D

As the guys above stated, those dimples are from the forging process that did not get planed out and the black inside the dimples and inside the talon hole is just from areas that the buffing wheel or brush wheel could not reach. Every Aftershock I've ever seen--including my own--has these. Most of us original owners were thrilled to see the dimples when they arrived.

Walking Man said:
With the newer, better finishes, I just didn't imagine that Jerry would send knives out like that.
It's a matter of personal opinion; I for one prefer the dimples. It reminds me what these knives go through to become a Busse, but then again I tend to find beauty in things that are in a more raw, natural state (like Gransfors Bruks hatchets or ATC Rogers' Rangers hawks). I don't think this was an oversight on Jerry's part; I think he finished them like this on purpose.

Andrew Lynch said:
You know, INFI dimples are something to be proud of. I'd have them on every blade if I could
Amen and amen.

Walking Man said:
Yes,
thanks for the pics.
that's it.
I guess I was wrong.
thanks.
to be honest i had this opinion of busse knives too when it came to the finish of the knives but like the old ad. said the "beauty is in the performance"

thats why i still buy busses, because i want i knife i can trust

You know, now that I think about it,
LOTS of folks pay BIG money for "unfinished" knives with forge markings.
I guess y'all have turned me around on this.
thanks.

Back