AG Russell Gentleman's Steak Knife

Absintheur

Banned
I saw this in the specials sections of my last sales e-mail from AG and was immediately excited as this was one he teased us with last year with a drawing and prototype and I was hoping for this knife since that day. To my amazement it was not only produced but done so at a price that astounded me. First let's list some specs on this...

Blade - 3 inches, hollow ground 8Cr13MoV (mine arrived shaving sharp)
Pattern - One handed man in a sodbuster shape, also available as a drop point
Scales - Black Rucarta with 3 black lip pearl accents on each side, silver pins
Weight - 1.7 ounces
Closed - 3 1/2 inches

Included with the knife is a black leather pocket pouch

The pouch is a slip type that fits the knife very well and is easy to open and close. It happily fits my Morris Friction folder nicely...bonus!

steak1.jpg

I tried this on a piece of ribeye and it works well one handed and the point is fine enough to pick up the piece you cut and work as a one tine fork...just be careful of your lip...lol. It works wonderfully as a standard steak knife using two hands as well, much better than the oversized butter knives most steak houses hand you.

steak2.jpg

This is not only a light knife, it is thin as well...just over a quarter inch in thickness. It would make a wonderful dress knife thanks to the weight and slim build. I am sure I will use mine as an everyday EDC, I'll like it very well for that purpose as it encompasses many of the features I like.

steak3.jpg

AG hit another homerun with this knife...and at 25 clams it makes surf and turf easier to afford.

Now...about that prototype Doctor pattern....

i like ag russells designs one day i'm going to own one. i really like his acies and texas ranger knives.

Thanks for the writeup.
I saw those and was quite surprised at the apparent quality for the price.
The pouch really looks nice.
Your review may have pushed me over the edge, I might have to order one (or two).

Thanks eh ! nice review, nice pics, and nice knife. now i gotta get one.
I'd been thinking that a 'personal steak knife' is a good idea even though i haven't eaten in a restaurant for about 10 years. Until now there were the Shun and Maserin, both at $125. Now this one at 1/5th the price and i'll bet every bit as good at slicing and fit and finish.
The China made knives have come a long way in just the past 1-2 years.
Some of them are now truly top quality and like this steak knife, very affordable.
roland

That hasn't made in the catalog yet, has it? I see a Shun, a Maserin, but not that one.

I didn't check the catalog...I saw it first in the email that announces their weekly specials. Of course you can sign up at the AG R ussell website for this and also for their snail mail catalog.

Now that is an attractive knife! Wonder when it will be listed on their website? So far the only one I see is the Shun version, which, while nice, is not my cup of tea at all. This one though, wow!

Now that is an attractive knife! Wonder when it will be listed on their website? So far the only one I see is the Shun version, which, while nice, is not my cup of tea at all. This one though, wow!

For some reason I can't locate it with various searches on the web site either.
But I emailed them and got a link.

(Direct Vendor Link Removed By Moderators)

Hope it's ok to post that for information purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks, please take a moment to read the forum guidelines regarding vendor links.
The general guidelines for this sub-forum are also posted in a "sticky" at the top of the page and include information about commercial links.

Let's stick to the discussion of the knives in this sub-forum. We are not here to provide advertising services for knife purveyors.

Feel free to contact the vendors yourself directly or share the information with other interested members privately via email or PM.

Last edited:
Certainly looks well-finished and excellent price. However, why the odd razor style one handed opener? Wouldn't this make spearing the meat difficult while trying to slice it?

If you only have one hand the one handed opener allows you to...well...open it one handed...lol. I found simple rocking of the blade made cutting the meat fairly efficient and the tine did serve well as a fork. Everyone that has seen mine so far has like it, the black lip pearl looks better in person than it does in my pics. This knife is a great size...benn carrying it for a few days now in the slip pouch and despite it's size it disappears in the pocket thanks to it's light weight and slimness. I carry my wallet in my front pocket and this stands up next to it very nicely.

For those who prefer it AG does make this with a spear or drop point as well.

its in the ag web catalog now.

its a very good looking knife at a great price.

i'd love to see ag and case knives do a collaboration at some point.

I am going to order one in the morning. Great looking folder. Looks like a high quality Sodbuster. Thanks for the photos. A G has some very nice knives and the best catolugue in the business. I have let some of his knives slip by and then they are out of production and regret not getting one.

RKH

I am going to order one in the morning. Great looking folder. Looks like a high quality Sodbuster. Thanks for the photos. A G has some very nice knives and the best catolugue in the business. I have let some of his knives slip by and then they are out of production and regret not getting one.

RKH

If you're in AG Knife Collectors club, just this weeks list for it and you can save a few bucks.

I am and I did. Just placed an order for one each of these type of steak knives. This looks like a fine little folder to just drop in your pocket. Absintheur your post and excellent pictures made me decide to get a couple. Thanks. Kinda funny how so many of the knives I seem to like are single blade Sodbuster type knives and clip less and thin and of course sharp pocketable knives. I have lots of tactical type but most of them just will not cut and slice like these thin bladed more traditional type knives. BTW, I just turned 60 so I may be going back to what I started with. My Grandfather bought me my first pocket knife in a Hardware store when I was 5. Oh Lordie I guess I am now a old guy!

RKH

Well I am 51 but I have always liked this size and style of knife. Soddies and barlows are long time favorites and this is rather like a thin crossbreed of those two. I have used mine a couple times now and a light stropping is all it takes to bring the edge back to hair popping sharp. The 8Cr13MoV is a great steel I think...I have several knives in it and it seems to hold an edge well, sharpen easily, and so far seems pretty stain resistant.

Absintheur, I might have over looked the knife because of the name so thanks for the post and pictures.

RKH

Absintheur, you should ask AG for a commission. :D

I had seen it in the weekly email, but paid it little attention until your mini-review and nice pics.
Ordered one of each and a couple of other things (got to justify the shipping yanno).
Even joined the Collectors Club.

Says something for the power of BF.

Back