AG Russell StrikeForce

http://www.agrussell.com/agrussell/rus-mo1.html

(yes yes, that's right, I still haven't upgraded my membership)

The AG Russell Strikeforce is a knife that defies easy categorization. On the one hand, the blade is pure tactical, with a leading-edge steel. On the other hand, the handle is reminiscent of the Buck 110. Every time you look at something, you become less sure about the exact niche you should put this knife in -- but maybe that's good.

The price is $100, but from AG that really means $100. Since other production knives that sell for $100 are often $130 or so retail, it should be compared against those types of knives.

Except where noted, it was the plain-edge drop point that I did everything with.

---------
The Blade
---------
There are 4 blade styles, all pure tactical in looks: swedged hollow-ground drop point in plain and partially-serrated, and modified American tanto in plain and partially-serrated. The blade is VG-10, and .10" thick. I notice a small trend towards thinner tactical-style blades, seeming to keep the visual appeal, but trade off some lateral strength for extra cutting performance (I think the SERE 2000 makes this same trade-off, can anyone confirm?).

AG sent me 4 knives (let me keep the test knife), one of each type. As far as the sharpening job, the "worst" of the lot, the plain-edge drop-point, was easily the match of a good sample from Cold Steel or Spyderco. The best of the lot, the plain-edge tanto, was bar none the sharpest out-of-box production knife I have ever come across. It was within 20% of my hand-tuned, lightly-used-since-last-sharpening Axis. My Axis usually outcuts out-of-box knives by hundreds of percents!

-------
Opening
-------
There's an oval hold in the blade for thumb-opening. I started getting used to it after a while; the technique for opening is very different than with a Spyderco. However, in the end I put a one-armed bandit (removeable thumbstud) on the knife, and am happiest with that solution.

--------------------
The pivot and action
--------------------
Wiggling and torquing the knife hard, there was no play. Good tolerances, a solid lock, and a very firm handle frame are to thank for that. When I say no play, I mean none -- it feels little different from torquing a similar-sized fixed blade.

Out of the box, I'd describe the action as "I'm not happy with it, but it's okay I guess" gritty. After warming up the pivot then applying Militec-1, I'd describe the action as "adequate". The other 3 knives AG sent me all had better actions, the best of which I'd consider "good" -- but not on par with, say, a BM 710.

-------------------
The handle and lock
-------------------
Buck-110ish in shape with some improvements in the curves (in my hands, at least), thick integral-bolstered aluminum with g-10 inserts. This is a hand-filling, stiff frame, at 4 7/8" long and around 17/32" (just over 1/2") thick across the inserts. I tend towards much lighter knives for carry, but the confidence-filling strength of this handle made the Strike Force the one I always reached for at home. Of course, at 4.2 oz., it's not really that heavy; I'm just used to the endura by comparison.

The backlock is firm without being too stiff, and nothing I could as far as hand position could get the lock to release accidently. Spine whack, torquing, and white knuckle tests no problem.

-------------------------
The StrikeForce in Action
-------------------------
For slicing, the thin, well-sharpened blade will outslices all other knives I have of similar size, and actually comes pretty close to a recurved blade. I tested it a while ago, so I'll apologize about not remembering the quantitative data, but qualitatively, it performed slicing, whittling, zipper-cutting, etc., all better than similar-sized plain edges. Of course, to some extent this is a sharpening game -- if I re-sharpened my endura to have as thin an edge, I'd get similar performance.

I didn't torture-test the edge, but I did whack it hard for a few minutes on a hard log, with no chips.

The handle is comfy for extended use, but the sharp inner corners of the frame begin to wear on the pinky after a while.

----
Clip
----
Butt-mounted clip is mounted high but not super high -- there's over .5" knife that sticks out.. It's very stiff, and rubs hard on the roughened g-10 insert below. I took it off, fearing for the life of my jeans!

----------
In Summary
----------
Very well-done, leading-edge stainless tactical style blade, but thin for performance (though not as strong). Stiff aluminum frame and lock for robustness. Ergonomics are very good, action ranges from acceptable to good.

Overall, I like this knife a lot. I reach for it often, which for me is the ultimate test of how much I really like it. If you want a very thick blade, or a very lightweight one, this isn't it. If you're looking for a well-done sport-utility folder that'll perform on the leading edge, you should give this knife a look.

Joe

Hi Joe, I, too, have a Strikeforce that is a favorite daily carry that I've commented on
in these forums before. I'd hope someone else would review it to show just how
good a knife it is for general use. Your comments are very close to my experiances
with this knife. I also had trouble with the clip being to tight until I caught it on a chair
and bent the heck out of it. After I repaired it it turned out just right for tension.
I like the knife so much it's really slowed down my buying because I can't find one
that "fits" me as well. So, yes, it's a very good knife......one I keep coming back to.

Joe Talmadge :

[handle]

Buck-110ish in shape with some improvements in the curves

It looks relatively insecure to me, would you be able to do hard stabs with it with a clean grip, how about oil/soap. It also look fairly square to me, however ergonomics are very personal.

For slicing, the thin, well-sharpened blade will outslices all other knives I have of similar size

A very strong statement considering who it making it, but it doesn't surprise me as the edge geometry on the Deerhunter is in the same class as the better customs I have seen.

It would be interesting to see where such thin edges fail and what exactly you are getting from a functional perspective in regards to durability with the 0.025"+ edges on most "tactical" folders.

Nice job.

-Cliff

Originally posted by Cliff Stamp
Joe Talmadge :

[handle]

It looks relatively insecure to me, would you be able to do hard stabs with it with a clean grip, how about oil/soap. It also look fairly square to me, however ergonomics are very personal.

I did very hard stabs with it, dry only, and it held well. I think the fact that it fills up the hand very well helps keep it stable. However, a single finger groove would improve things. The bolster drops lower than on a traditional 110, BTW.

I haven't tried this with the handle oiled-up, I'll give it a try.

A very strong statement considering who it making it, but it doesn't surprise me as the edge geometry on the Deerhunter is in the same class as the better customs I have seen.

It would be interesting to see where such thin edges fail and what exactly you are getting from a functional perspective in regards to durability with the 0.025"+ edges on most "tactical" folders.

Nice job.

-Cliff

Yep, the edge durability is the question, given the performance. Well, that and the strength of the blade overall. I did do a little testing, whacking the knife hard into a hard log, with no problems. But without a control knife, as you know, I can't draw any conclusions. I have planned on doing some controlled tests between the StrikeForce and the Endura. Not necessarily to failure, but some hard enough edge tests that I can be sure the StrikeForce will hold up really well.

Great review. Thanks Joe!

Interesting decision to powder coat rather than anodize, I wonder if it will hold up as well.

Steve-O

The powder coat is holding very well on my Strikeforce. I use the dickins out of this
knife daily and the coating is not worn of but scratched off in places. From what I
can see it will wear well , but, like any coating is subject to scratches.

I would buy one in a heartbeat, but I'n not crazy about the coated bolsters. If there were no bolsters or if they were more natural in color I would likely purchase one.

It would also be nice if it were drilled and tapped for left handed carry.

Originally posted by shootist16
I would buy one in a heartbeat, but I'n not crazy about the coated bolsters. If there were no bolsters or if they were more natural in color I would likely purchase one.

It would also be nice if it were drilled and tapped for left handed carry.

That was one of the comments I made to AG in my first feedback email to him. I think it's a real shame to take a knife that is fully ambidextrous -- i.e., opening mechanism and lock can both be used from either hand -- and then only allow the clip to be mounted for right-hand carry.

Joe

Joe

I just ordered this knife based on your comments. I like the look and general usefulness of the blade style and shape.

Although I've sometimes differed with you (benignly) on spine-whacking Etc., I, like most others here, have a great deal of respect for your comments and opinions.

Just for the record, also, I have no problem with lock-backs.

When I receive the knife, probably in a week or so, I'll chime in with my reactions.

knifenerd --

Great, I'm interested in hearing other opinions on this knife! As I said, it kind of defies categorization, so I'm even more uncertain than usual about whether people will agree with my assessment.

Joe

PS Thanks for the kind words!

I'm definitely a big fan of VG-10, and I really like the blade shape -- AG refers to it as a drop-point, but it looks more like a spear-point to me. Aesthetically, how are the handles in person? The G-10 inserts look kind of clunky to me in the picture. Thanks.

The handles are just right thin and the G-10 is placed to be just right "sticky"
for control. I,too, am left handed and while it would be nice to be able to adjust
the clip placment I personally prefer not to have the clip dig into my palm. That
makes the right hand clip placment just right for me. As to left hand carry I
also prefer to carry this knife in my left back pocket and my buck 307 stock
man in my left front pocket. Joe is correct about this knife being hard to
catagorize. It just seems to do so darn much just right and is never seems to
hard to control. From my point of view most of the knives that have A.G. 's
name on the ,that I own, seem to always do that. The designs don't look fancy
but boy do they perform as advertized.

I've only had mine for 2 days, but so far I'm very impressed. The edge(drop point/plain edge) is one of the best I've seen on a production knife, both in terms of sharpness and the precision of the edge grind.

I also found the clip too tight, but that was easily remedied. Tight means it will be hard to lose and you can always vary that to your own specs.

The lock up is positive and precise. No wobble in any direction. This knife gives the user alot of confidence in use.

What is it? I think it was just designed as an overall using knife that can fill the bill in a number of situations. The blade seems pure tactical, yet the overall approach seems utilitarian. Just seems like this knife will get alot of carry time.

It's IMO, well worth the price. I really like this knife.:)

Also, I got really fast service from AG Russell. Less than a week and that included a 3-day holiday weekend.

This knife might just become a "cult" favorite around here.

PS Thanks to Joe Talmadge for the "heads-up on this one.

Recently, I ordered the plain A.G. Russell Strikeforce knife based on the positive threads in the Forum. The knife arrived at my office 3 days later. I have to say that the Blade Forum threads were correct. The Strikeforce is a well made, quality EDC knife that is hard to categorize.

It's size is similiar to that of a Buck 110 while the handle is shaped like a Buck 112, best of all the knife is very light (compared to the Buck) and has the pocket clip and ambidexterous opening hole in the blade.

Out of the box the knife has a shaving sharp edge. As others had noted, the knife's action is tight and a bit coarse which was remedied with a bit of lubricant. Now the action is quite a bit smoother. Also the knife had a very tight pocketclip that, in conjunction with the textured G-10 handle slabs, is a bit rough on pants pockets. That was remedied with a gentle tweak to the clip and some 400 grit paper to the G-10 slab.

This knife will certainly have a place in my EDC rotation schedule. I would be interested in any long term updates on this knife.

Thanks!
ScottK :)

Thanks for the excellent review. I have been looking at the plain edged drop point StikeForce in the catalogs the last few months, but never ordered one.
I think that may change now.

Glad this came BTTT, 'cause I missed it the first time around, and have been eyeing the StrikeForce.
I'm at that point where I'm not really interested in any more folders (having filled all my "niches" with ones I'm happy with, and gotten rid of most of the rest), but have a desire for a work knife with a good steel and a tanto. The competition is pretty stiff...a BM 710HS, so I'm not sure about buying something else "just to try", but I've found that I like the idea of a tanto for scraping and dragging cuts on lots of heavy wrap against cardboard, with the main edge being reserved for cutting hose and breaking down containers. Plus, I'd like to check out VG-10, too.
Surprised how much I like the CRKT M1602Z (which is a tanto w/AUS-6) that a friend gave me, and has been used for this type of work, but the steel is just unacceptable, and the blade too short.
The StrikeForce might be right up my alley...
One of the few knives that has aroused my interest lately.
Thanks for the review, and the comments from others:)

Two questions:
1) How does the opening hole fare with heavy gloves on? (I work with alot of hot stuff, and usually have welding gloves on, so need something that will work fairly well with gloves if need be, or at least with an inertial opening).
2) Is the tanto portion of the edge ground thicker than the primary edge? I can change this, if not, but am curious.

Thanks,
Owen

Owen, I'd have to say you might have trouble hitting the hole
to open the blade with welders gloves on. My suggestion would be
to order a knife and try it. You can always send it back. Remember
A.G.'s warrenty policy. "Your happy with it or send it back."

I think this will be the only way to answer your questions. My guess
is once you have a Strikeforce it won't be going back..........

Nice review Joe! Thanks for all the follow-up information also...appreciated.. :)

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Thanks, Tightwad. It's a bit of a stretch opening any folder with gloves like that on, but I could do it with an AFCK I had, and my DDR EDC. I have to "snap" the 710HS open.
I usually just take off the glove for a minute, but sometimes I'm in a hurry.
Come to think of it, I've used a lockback at work before (Goddard ltwt), and it didn't get full of gunk like the Axis lock does sometimes, and won't get stuff between the scale and lockbar like the EDC does sometimes (talking myself into it;)).

Think I'll try one after we go back to work (hopefully in the next week).

Back