AGA Campolin Zero - Tip Up Carry option...?

At a recent trip to BHQ I handled an AGA Campolin Zero, not the dagger blade, but the bayonet I believe, and I really liked it. The deal-breaker for me was tip-down carry only.

Then, looking around on BHQ, I see this:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--AGA-Campolin-Zero-Dagger-Leverlock--92042

Here's the part that got my attention:

K6dgAdS.jpg

rlaMbLb.jpg

This pocket clip indentation / cavity was not present on the model I handled.
And looking around on the site, it doesn't appear on any other AGA Campolin Zero I've seen.
I'm about to call BHQ and see if they can confirm, but the item in question is out of stock, so they may not be able to assist.
Can anyone confirm if there's a version of the Campolin Zero that allows for Tip-Up carry like this?

The difference between BHQ-74035 (G-10 handle) and BHQ-92042 (aluminum handle) seems to be blade finish and handle material.
Is this only an option on the aluminum handle version?

At a recent trip to BHQ I handled an AGA Campolin Zero, not the dagger blade, but the bayonet I believe, and I really liked it. The deal-breaker for me was tip-down carry only.

Then, looking around on BHQ, I see this:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--AGA-Campolin-Zero-Dagger-Leverlock--92042

Here's the part that got my attention:

K6dgAdS.jpg

rlaMbLb.jpg

This pocket clip indentation / cavity was not present on the model I handled.
And looking around on the site, it doesn't appear on any other AGA Campolin Zero I've seen.
I'm about to call BHQ and see if they can confirm, but the item in question is out of stock, so they may not be able to assist.
Can anyone confirm if there's a version of the Campolin Zero that allows for Tip-Up carry like this?

The difference between BHQ-74035 (G-10 handle) and BHQ-92042 (aluminum handle) seems to be blade finish and handle material.
Is this only an option on the aluminum handle version?

I believe it's present on the website: http://www.agacampolin.com/zero.html

The written description sounds like it's got the cavity:
CLIP
Stainless steel clip for the pocket can be easier removed and substitute with a little steel shield.

I checked their website, and it doesn't mention an option for Tip-up carry, or an option for an aluminum handle version. I think it only shows G10 options.

The "little shield" they are talking about is similar to like what you'd get with an Hinderer XM18. It's a small replacement in case you want to remove the clip entirely, but it doesn't help you if you want to change it from Tip-down carry to tip-up.
I just called BHQ and they pretty much just nodded and agreed with my theories :p

I'm not finding too much out there about this specific aluminum handled Campolin Zero model.
Anyone got any input on this thing?

None of the several I have recently ordered have this. Pretty much tip down.

Quite frankly I wouldn't want the Zero tip up. The bulk of it would be in the pocket instead of above it. Ive removed my clip on one and found if it was in pocket tip up it became quite snaggy, liken to a boat anchor.

Edit to add another thought. I also wouldn't go tip up because of the deployment lever, it would be to fiddly to get to it if the knife was upside down but it would be very possible in my case to catch the lever and have it open as I pull it out. Knife most likely wouldn't deploy since it takes a fair amount of pressure but I wouldn't want to find out as that particular knife opens with a sharp point and a fair amount of authority.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I might go ahead and pick one up regardless because I'm quite infatuated, but my instinct, just for safety, on any auto is tip-up. Maybe I can experiment with no pocket clip and see how that carries.... But man, seems like such a missed opportunity on the G-10 version. Just mill out a little recess there and provide the option. If someone doesn't want that option, there's always the little shield... Maybe that would require including two little shields?

If you're concerned with security I believe once you order one and hold it you will see security isn't going to be an issue.

Thanks for the feedback. I might go ahead and pick one up regardless because I'm quite infatuated, but my instinct, just for safety, on any auto is tip-up. Maybe I can experiment with no pocket clip and see how that carries.... But man, seems like such a missed opportunity on the G-10 version. Just mill out a little recess there and provide the option. If someone doesn't want that option, there's always the little shield... Maybe that would require including two little shields?
I have a couple of these. never paid attention to clip as these leverlocks are one of the most secure, strong and safe locks for an auto. maybe the safest and strongest. id even say safe enough for pocket carry without being clipped. dont worry it's not gonna open by accident you'll have to flip the switch over and push down all the way.

these are great knives. the fit and finish is fantastic on these. one of my favorite Italian made autos.

Thanks JB. Really wanna pick one up. Now that I've gotten over the tip-down only factor, now I'm just waiting to find one in the dagger blade shape with a mirror / polish finish....
I was really impressed by the one I handled at BHQ. Had no desire for an Italian auto going in.

It’s definitely an interesting knife. How’s the lock up and bladeplay on these?

Mine fires hard and locks up tight. A very satisfying auto, although a bit heavy. Mine is apparently "first generation" as it lacks the reversible clip option.

I like leverlocks a lot, I've got a couple of Mikov Predators that are nice for the price as well.

got a couple of them. no bladeplay in any direction. lockup is strong and tight. leverlock design is one of the strongest locks out there in autos. these are the best stiletto type knives, for the money, out there right now.

They sound nice. I will have to add them to my list. I can decide whether my first lever lock will be this, a Mikov, or a Leverletto.

They sound nice. I will have to add them to my list. I can decide whether my first lever lock will be this, a Mikov, or a Leverletto.
akc leverlettos are great. have a handful of them. wish pocket clip was an option but that aside.

mikovs are neat but I dont like the steel. doesnt hold an edge well and they never come sharp. come with very obtuse angles from the factory. so plan on immediate reprofiling. that said I like them and still own 3 of them.....but for collection purposes not so much as users.

akc leverlettos are great. have a handful of them. wish pocket clip was an option but that aside.

mikovs are neat but I dont like the steel. doesnt hold an edge well and they never come sharp. come with very obtuse angles from the factory. so plan on immediate reprofiling. that said I like them and still own 3 of them.....but for collection purposes not so much as users.
Cool, Leverletto is what I was leaning towards anyway. Does the 440C hold an edge well? I see in some of the threads that people have said it seems soft for 440C.

Cool, Leverletto is what I was leaning towards anyway. Does the 440C hold an edge well? I see in some of the threads that people have said it seems soft for 440C.
it leans that way towards soft or so I think...never tested so I dont really know, but does okay for edge holding.

Back