AGCO Limited Edition set...

Hi all. I have a Limited Edition set of Shrade knives in a [cheap] wood display case and with an AGCO/Allis Chalmers farm equipment theme. I got it from my father-in-law when he passed away. It has a total of five knives: large lock-back, small lock-back, hunter, and a one and two bladed "regular" pocket knife. They all have white micarta-style grips with tractors and stuff skrimshawed on them, plus the blades have the AGCO logo inscribed on them. The larger knives have leather sheathes in the case. I have had this set for almost 10 years and know nothing about it. Does anyone know how many of these were made? What it might be worth? I was desiring to sell it, but after checking ebay or Shrade scrimshaw set prices, I may instead choose to keep it and enjoy it. I've always had a problem using nice-looking stuff though, and would just rather have garden-variety looking knives to use and abuse. At this point I am unsure of where to proceed from here. To take the plunge and just USE these tools, or to sell them to someone who might want to collect them. Thanks for any info that anyone can provide.

BTW... Hi! I am at 37 years old, a "newbie" to the hobby of knife collecting, but I hope to make up for lost time. I just can't afford to built the gun collection that I am wanting, so I'm going to see if I can more afford manufactured knives. Right now I am preparing to purchase a couple of Cold Steel offerings for my entry into mid-level (or high-low-level) quality knives. Another manufacturer that appeals to me is Gerber.

lrv

Red,
welcome to the group and the collectors addiction!

I see an Allis set of 5, 80th anniv listed in Levine's guide for 1994 with a value of 210.

If you can post a picture or email it to me and I'll post it for you.

Cold steel produced a free DVD with the stress testing of most of their blades

I've seen a couple and they are nicely made.

Love to see that Allis set.

Thanks
Larry

lrv

Red_label:
Here are the picts and now I understand your handle..
Great looking set.
TTYL
Larry (Lrv)

JW1.JPG

JW2.JPG

Hi Red Label,

I am not a regular poster, but read a lot of posts here, and I also collect firearms and knives. My advice on your nice set of knives is either sell them or put them up unused. Commemorative knives are a lot like commemorative firearms. once you use it, the value of it will never be anymore than the used value of the same model in a standard production version. In other words, as soon as you use even one of them, you will affect the value of the entire set (in a negative way). If you are wanting to turn them into cash to apply towards other knives, I feel Ebay is still your best option. It reaches a nationwide audience, and you may tap into tractor collectors as well as knife guys who would want your set. HTH :)

textoothpk

BANNED
Welcome, Red_Label (love those Rugers myself). I think you have a pretty good start on your knife collection with that Schrade set. For one thing, it is already old, it is from a defunct company, and it can do nothing but increase in collectibility. Get a Cold Steel or two for users.. They will never match Schrades for beauty, craftsmanship, or what some of us call 'soul'.

Thanks for posting the pics, Larry.

Phil

Ya see, Red_Label, I knew you'd get some help from the folks here in the Schrade Forum. They know their stuff. :)

Since I'm popping in, and popping off......Bernard Levine's Guide #4, published in 1997, lists a tentative value of this collection of $210. It was issued in 1994. Not a "take it to the bank" quote, but a starting point to help you decide what to do. Like Slufstuff said, (Welcome to both of you), I sure wouldn't break it up either, just to use one or two. But, that's your call, of course.

Oh yeah, I'm a "New Model Blackhawk" guy. :D

Bill

Thanks for the input guys!

I started my collection in earnest today. I bought a Kershaw Ken Onion Rainbow Leek. What a beautiful knife! I was looking for the Cold Steel Recon Scout or another fixed blade tactical knife. They didn't have one. But they did have the SOG Seal and Pup. Those always kind of interested me. So I looked at them closely. They look well-made and hardy. But sitting next to the Rainbow Leek, there was NO contest. The beatiful one won-out over tactical. Tactical stuff is the reason that I started to get into knives, but now I can see that I am going to be into them just because they are beautiful. Which means that I now have another hobby that's going to cost me money. Oh well... that's just how I am.

I haven't yet decided what to do about the Schrade set, but will continue to ponder it. Yeah, if I am going to collects nice knives that I won't use anyways, then I may as well keep it. On the other hand, posting it on ebay or some farm equip collector's site may get me enough $$$ to buy a several hundred dollar knife that will really be an heirloom. The Kershaw is too nice to use for doing anything but cutting. I'll continue to use my cheap $3 folder to perform abusive tasks. Tis always good to have a cheapo or ten around for those things. I will be shortly adding another Kershaw because on my way home tonight I think I will stop by that store and get the Rainbow Chive to sit next to the Leek. I sold a couple of guitars and the money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Anyways... thanks again for all the input guys. Have a great weekend!