Age of Western Knives?

I have 2 Western Knives I just bought: a W49 D, and a L46-8, I would like to know approximately how old these are? Can your Historian give me an idea of how old they are. What does the D stand for on the bowie I have had others tell me their W49's have other letters besides the D but they did not know what it ment either. I bought these out of a group of 5 knives the bowie sheath says Western on it but it may be a mix match because I picked out the best sheath. You can see a Picture of them at http://picturetrail.com/jh45gun. They will not let me remove Pics there to go to other sites as this so you have to go there. Sorry about the inconveniance. I paid 20 bucks for the bowie and 10 bucks for the l46-8 so I figure I got a good deal no matter how old they are but I would like to find out how old if I can. The markings are on the blades near the hand gaurds the left side for the bowie
WESTERN
USA W49
D
and L46-8 on the right side of the other one. Also while I am asking any idea what type of steel was used. They seemed to take a good edge and the blades were unused when I bought them Ithink any way they looked like they had the factory edge. Any help would be most appreciated. Jim email jimharter@hotmail.com

Hi, I can't tell you the exact age of your knives but they are of excellent quality. Western used a high carbon - non stainless called Chrome V if I'm not mistaken. The large bowie is still being manufactured but now makes use of an inexpensive stainless steel. Your knives in original mint condition are worth at least $80.00 for the big bowie and probably over $100.00 for the 8" fighter if you can even locate one. Excellent purchase. Congratulations.

Have you asked this question over on the Bernard Levine forum? He is the knife guru here. I imagine he can give you the info you need. Good luck!

Western Cutlery introduced a dating system in 1977. The first year the knives were marked with the letter "A". Your knife has the letter "D" which indicates 1980 as the year of manufacture. This dating system is no longer used by Camillus Cutlery Co. who nows owns the Western brand.
I received your e-mail with your mailing address and information about your two knives will be sent this week.
Tom Williams

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate the time you took for me, to answer my questions and to send the information, very nice of you to do this. In this day and age of every one looking out for themselves it is nice to find another company who bends over backwards to help out, even in this case where the knives in question were made previous to your company taking over the Western Brand. Best Regards Jim :)

It sure would be nice if you or Tom posted the information here so the rest of us could learn more about these.

Here is your info as far as I have, more of a description as I have not received the info from Tom yet as I am sure he just mailed it. The W 49 D is a Western Bowie made in 1980: wood handle, Brass handgard, 9 inch blade made out of from what I have heard Crome V steel not stainless. The L46-8 is a hunting/fighting style knife with a 8 inch blade with blood groove, probably same type steel, brass handgard, leather washer handle with aluminum end on it. Pictures can be seen at:
http://www.picturetrail.com/jh45gun. I hope this helps. Will post more info when I get it from Tom. Jim;)

Back