Aging a blade

I, like I'm sure many of us, love a nice old blade that shows it's age.
If anybody has methods of making a new sword look more like it is actually a couple hunrded years old i'd appreciate information on how you like to do it.

Tom, depending on the steel, you could use something mildly acidic like lemon juice to give it a patina (spelling??) and as small a drill bit you can find to introduce some "pitting" depending on the strength of the acid it collect in the pits and round out the edges givining it the appearces of haveing rusted a bit. This might work.

Walt (aka Suvorov)

Sometimes, just letting a fine coating of rust form and then oiling it will give the same effect. This way you will have an "old Russetting" effect that will make a sword look old and by applying the light oil will keep it from rusting further. Acting as an extra deterrent.

We just received a letter from a former Park Ranger that used to wear/use a rapier, crossbow and archer's salade we made for the Cabrillo National Monument in demostrations. These were made 20 years ago and the Rapier hilt had turned a beautiful antique "plum" color over the years. Originally, it was polished and then given a heat blueing that gave a purple/blue hue. The photos on our website give you some idea.

Sometimes, just the passage of time is best.

Take the furniture off the blade, and toss the blade out on the front step. If it doesn't rain, hose it down and let it set for a couple days.
Let it rust "to taste" then bring it in and use 600 grit sandpaper. if you stop sanding before the blade's returned to "bright" it'll look pretty good.
I do this will all my users and the results are very realistic and attractive.

------------------
I cut it, and I cut it, and it's STILL too short!

I use feric chloride ,mixed 3 parts water to 1 part acid. etch for 20 minutes and scrub off with paper towel. See if the blade is a nice gray and shows grain of steel.continueor stop depending on effect . rinse with baking soda and water . dry then buff with white compound or flitz. then oil.
looks good, only works well for high carbon.
Cheers. Wally

Back