Recommendation? Aging Brass Bolsters

Hello Everyone,

I have been experimenting with a lot of handle materials and types of handles for puukkos lately, but I surprisingly haven't touched on any of the basic materials for puukko bolsters; Nickel and brass.

For those on here that use brass in their handles, what methods do you use to age it?

***I have seen a few puukko designs that have brass bolsters with wonderful coloring that almost looked cracked. Is this done by utilizing ammonia fumes in a well ventilated area? Does ammonia corrode carbon steel, birch bark, or stabilized wood?
I wouldn't want to spend all this time grinding a blade and handle just for it to all rot away. I would assume that if it does work, it would only be for a short time to ensure the brass bolster doesn't crack through a substantial amount and fall off of your knife.

***Do the Brass ageing solutions that are available at stores able to give brass a textured look? Or does it simply dull the colors in different hues? Most of the images that I have seen have been the latter, but wanted to ask those who have used them and have more knowledge on how they work, and possibly any tricks you have learned along the way to accomplish other interesting effects.

Thank you for your time!

If you use aligment pins you can work and finish the bolster before you glue everything up and not have chemicals effect handle materials.
The cracked effect is deepened in the material, aged, polished, re-aged, etc

D yo think that I would be able to do these things with the pommel as well? My only fear is finishing these pieces and ruining the finished bolster when I peen the tang and try to make it flush with the bolster. I would have to do the ammonia treatment again if I polished away the finish by accident.

You could peen the tang but leaf it mushroomed, not file it flush or cut blind threats and screw it on

Back