AirSog vs. SogWinder II

I have been a user of AirSog for a long, long time. I love the knife. I have recomended it to numerous others, who have all grown to love that little tool. I have put my AirSog(s) through the paces in many applications... from camping to electrical to home improvements etc... and I have never felt that it failed to perform. I mentioned plural AirSogs, as I have a bad habit of losing them. I have owned and lost three to date, over the past 8 years or so.

When I went out online recently to find the best place to purchase my fourth AirSog, I stumbled across the SogWinder II. I am intrigued by this little (rather *larger*) gem. I would love to hear feedback from anyone who can offer comparison info between the AirSog and the SogWinder II. Likes? Dislikes? Other?? Is the larger size of the SogWinder cumbersome? What about the fact that it weighs nearly 4x that of the AirSog?

Thanks in advance...

Jason Irby

My very first SOG was an AirSOG.:D I still have it, tucked away safely in the attic, under about 12-14" of blown-in insulation...:rolleyes: yes, I lost mine too...:p .
I absolutely loved that knife! It was far and away not the most expensive knife, but it always did everything I asked of it. I have a Tomcat too (same size as the SOGWinder II); I just almost never carry it, due to the weight. I have a SOGWinder as well, the smaller version, and you might like that. It's about the same size as the AirSOG, but with the metal handle. You might also try the Stingray (if you can find one). They were available with a Cocobolo handles, and are gorgeous...:D :cool:

I know for a fact that the second lost knife was taken prisoner by insulation. As for the third.... I just can't say.

The weight issue is exactly what I was concerned with. I noticed that the SogWinder I is slightly smaller than the AirSog, and just over an ounce heavier.

The reason I was considering the SogWinder was for the (implied, I suppose) additional ruggedness of metal construction at the hinge. I have noticed a little bit of play in my AirSogs in the blade in the past... not enough to bother with a warranty, but enough to consider the integrated metal handle.

Decisions....decisions....

thx for the feedback...

jirby

Try using a magnet on a lead to find your lost knives, I work in attics constantly and got tired of losing things so out came the magnets. First time I had to borrow a magnet from my customers kid but it got the job done. Then I got the strongest magnet I could find and tied it off to a piece of fishing line and started using that works like a charm. Let me know if it works for you. Look at it as a rescue operation, or talk your kids into going fishing in the attic.

Not entirely a bad idea...;) I had thought of it, working for a company that makes electric motors... so I have access to magnets... I guess I just haven't actually crossed the line and done it. It might be worth a try. I've got a pretty good idea (within about a 6x10 area) where it is. There will probably be a fair bit of other crap too: nails, etc. but it is probably worth a shot!
I'll let y'all know.
Thanks,
Rob:cool:

Back