Aitor Jungle King as survival knife?

Hi!

I have been lusting over an Aitor Jungle King II (the large one) with
these extra nifty things and noticing the hollow handle, I immediately
started thinking about their capacity to stand up to abuse. Anybody
ever tried it? What about the steel they use for the blades?

How sturdy is the link between the handle and the blade? Looks like
it is pinned in, but of course, I could not x-ray it.

Has anybody ever used such a knife outdoors?

Yes the handle is pinned. I had the smaller one back in 1986 it was a great knife.The handle was aluminum.It stood up to all the abuse I put it threw. I even used it as a thrower quite a few times. I think it walked away one day. Anyway,if you decide to get one I think you will really like it. It will stand up to years of hard use.

Hi Mussi,

The Big Aitor Jungle King II doesn't have a Aluminium grip but has one made of "non"-magnetic stainless steel. The blade is pinned to the handle but the whole contruction not only looks but also feels/is that solid that under normal "survival" situations I can't immagine it breaking.

The in the sheath included separate skinner blade/"multi purpose tool" is also a very nice knife and I just wish they sold that separately it would make a nice little neck knife (it even opens a beer bottle
wink.gif
).

Mussi, what's the price they are asking at your place for the Jungle King II ? I get the impression that the prices for these survival "have it all in one sheath" knives has dropped the last year.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

------------------

Bagheera,

Aitor does sell the small sheath knife seperately; or, at least they used to. I found copies of both the smaller (Jungle King II), and the larger (Jungle King I), secondary sheath knives. They usually come complete with a small cordura sheath.

N2S

I had the smaller one in the mid-1980s as well and I cannot complain a bit. Beat the hell out of it and a Buckmaster, in my opinion it was a better knife then the Buck and I owned both of them. That Jungle King went on alot of hikes and I beat the hell out of it and it never failed me at all.

I loved it, a friend of mine hounded me and hounded me and I gave it to him for his Birthday.

Where can I get another one of the originals and not the crappy copies?

[This message has been edited by Don Rearic (edited 12-04-2000).]

:
I have one of the Aitor's "Chuchilla Del Monte' Official Spanish Army Issue models and it's the first stainless blade I ever had that actually holds an edge.

I bought mine from The Sportsmans Guide several years ago as I liked the recurved Bowie shape.
It's probably not a knife I would buy today, but it is still in very good shape. I actually haven't used it much, but what use it saw was fairy hard. I chopped some Blackjack Oak fo fire wood that is not only hard, but abrasive as well since it sucks up sand through its roots when its growing. It tears the hell out of chainsaws.
I was very impressed the way it kept its edge. It has Great Steel.
And I think the Jungle King is made from the same stuff, or at least it was back then.

They have recently started importing them again, I think I saw an ad for them in last months Blade mag.

Good luck.

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Each person's work is always a portrait of himself.

---- Samuel Butler.

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

The real big Jungle King II in woodland camo runs at 399 Swiss Francs,
including everything. The matte version at 349, the smaller ones at
199 Swiss Francs.

Steep price, IMO. Any price comparisons here?

Hi Mussi,

I think you're better off buying the Jungle King I or II at Frankonia Jagd as they sell them cheaper the small Jungle King for DM 139 if I'm correct and the bigger one for about 340 DM and that's cheaper certainly when you take into account the high exchange rate of Swiss Francs against German DM.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

------------------

Back