AK Bowie -- are they available?

Yangdu just blew one out the other day at NINETY FIVE BUCKS DELIVERED

There's a cleaver version we're waiting on too.

WELCOME.

munk

I WANT THE BULLET BOWIE!!!

I have a nice Cherokee Rose I'll probably trade off for the BB, when more are available. The Cherokee is just too much a dedicated fighter for me- I'm sure it'll be perfect for somebody, but Mongo want something more like rock.

John SMASH!

OK I'll bite, what's the Bullet Bowie? I tried doing a search for the term and ended up knee-deep in a bunch of gun threads. :rolleyes:

aka Munk Chunk/Cleaver, Cobalt AK Bowie, etc.

My GRS was too much for me, but I think I can handle a heavy 15" blade waaaay better than a 22" one! :D

John

It cuts almost as good as a khuk, too. The weight added to the space the former clip point eliminated makes a big difference. The New AK Bowie, Cleaver version, really can do it all. Chop a tree, build a shelter, mince the garlic for the Pheasant you bagged earlier in the day.

munk

John,
I was just starting to answer you when I heard a curse from the kitchen. I rushed in and saw my wife had blobbed a quarter of the mustard from a plastic jar on the almost sandwich she was making. I was grateful it wasn't the Soy sauce next to the plate that spilled. Seems when you call me at home, John, one of the kids might be yelling or gelling about something....busy place, situation normal.

So, the Prototype was absolutely wonderful except for the very very slight raised edge near the cho which made it impossible to use the blade as a cleaver, being just enough to prevent the blade flush on a chopping board.

I ground it off in no time at all. It was so little material that the metal on the blade was not even hot from the grinding wheel. I told Yangdu and waited. Last week she got ahold of me and said the Kamis were confused- what change did they need to make? I took the AK down to my friend and neighbor and he took some digital photos. Then the BirGorhka web page had problems and it wouldn't take. Sent it to Yangdu. The other day she told me the Kamis still don't know what is wrong; can I write it out for them?

Words Words Words. But I wrote three versions explaining about the edge needing to be flush on chopping surface. Now two blades are headed to America.

We will see. I think Real Soon. I have other good news; Kumar is back. Hooray! And the cut on Murali has healed and he's back. So now we'll get production.

munk

Man oh man:) I can't wait on the new AK Bowie/Munk Chunk/Cobalt/Bullet Bowie;) I really love the design of the orginal. Honestly, I'm going to be tough to sway with this new clipless version. However, I am more than willing to put my money where my mouth is and get one of these. You can't climb to the top of the hills and preach "AK bowie! AK bowie! AK bowie! You gotta try an AK bowie!" and not have all the different versions of it.

Jake

I emailed Nasty the other night asking if he still had the AK bowie he was willing to sell (he didn't). The AK cleaver prototype reminds me of the old "rifleman" knives. I was pondering about getting the 25" AK on ebay as an addition to my collection but realized that a bowie would be a more unique choice (my 22" GRS is large enough to tackle anything I'd take on anyway).

Bob

Two more proto-types of the AK Cleaver are coming. If they are correct, then Bir Ghorka will start CRANKING them out.

munk

Spectre said:
My GRS was too much for me, but I think I can handle a heavy 15" blade waaaay better than a 22" one! :D
John

22" GRS like the one on sale today? too big? not enough things to chop? looks sa'weet.

bladite

munk said:
John,
I was just starting to answer you when I heard a curse from the kitchen. I rushed in and saw my wife had blobbed a quarter of the mustard from a plastic jar on the almost sandwich she was making. I was grateful it wasn't the Soy sauce next to the plate that spilled. Seems when you call me at home, John, one of the kids might be yelling or gelling about something....busy place, situation normal.

So, the Prototype was absolutely wonderful except for the very very slight raised edge near the cho which made it impossible to use the blade as a cleaver, being just enough to prevent the blade flush on a chopping board.

I ground it off in no time at all. It was so little material that the metal on the blade was not even hot from the grinding wheel. I told Yangdu and waited. Last week she got ahold of me and said the Kamis were confused- what change did they need to make? I took the AK down to my friend and neighbor and he took some digital photos. Then the BirGorhka web page had problems and it wouldn't take. Sent it to Yangdu. The other day she told me the Kamis still don't know what is wrong; can I write it out for them?

Words Words Words. But I wrote three versions explaining about the edge needing to be flush on chopping surface. Now two blades are headed to America.

We will see. I think Real Soon. I have other good news; Kumar is back. Hooray! And the cut on Murali has healed and he's back. So now we'll get production.

munk

This sounds great! I need to get in line for one of those and a Sher Attitude as well.

The extra raised metal behind the cho is pretty common I think. My AK Bowie had it as well as do several other knives. I think it's because it's just a remnant of blade left after they ground out the cutting edge and take metal off in front of the cho. Once they understand you want it to lay completely flat on edge they should see what needs to be done pretty easily.

I'm not a big one for asking for changes, as we are asking for enough as it is, but the one thing I hope they do on the new model is make the protruding tang after the handle scales just the way it is on the model pictured on the web site. Not a big round piece sticking out, but something a bit more subdued and rounded correctly.

For that matter they could just copy the nice handle and tang shape off that pic and be perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the prototypes are as you want them.

Regards,

Norm

Back