AK bowie vs. HI seax

Hi all. The recent talk about the AK bowie has really got me. Now I got this dillema. Seax or AK bowie. I have passed on these dozens of times, for years as far as the AK goes. I don't know why they are getting to me now. I have been saving my pennies and selling off some stuff. I can only get one. What are your opinions?

Bowie! Better chopper and all around use.

Seax IMHO is better for slicing and stabbing. Sheath for the Seax is awkard to wear unless dressed in historic costume.

IMHO Just my humble opinion..

lcs37 said:

Seax IMHO is better for slicing and stabbing. Sheath for the Seax is awkard to wear unless dressed in historic costume.
...Yup...:D

Geeze, Bobwhite, that's like try to single out which of your kids you should give up for adoption;) I guess it boils down to what are you going to use it for? is it going to be a work horse? Is it going to hang on the wall and look pretty? How heavy duty are you needing? I fall on the side with the bowie..just slightly. My main reason for this is that i use my knives all the time. none of them stay shiny and pretty. they all have to earn their keep or i get rid of them. The seax is a fun knife to play with. fun to cut stuff with it, strop the edge, poke holes in tin cans, etc. It really lets your mind wonder and be in awe of what this blade style was used for. From carving up lamb to being jabbed into the ribs of an enemy. The bowie is a worker. more businesslike, but still regal in a Tarzan kind of way. Wise and noble in a primative way. Pick either one now. Get it and play with it until you can buy the other. The real dilemma is not owning just one. the dilemma is owning them both and having to choose which one to take. You can't lose:) I wish you luck on your hurt-so-good agony of deciding:)

Jake

My decision was made by what showed up on deal of the day when I was ready to buy :) i haven't received the bowie yet, but it should be here today or tomorrow. The seax might have to wait a while, but I'm sure it will be mine before too long!

lcs37 said:
Sheath for the Seax is awkard to wear unless dressed in historic costume.
IMHO Just my humble opinion..
Or if you wear it in the front. Might be handy if you run out of real estate on your waist :)

Yup.

I'm still waiting for my AK Bowie- it'll get here in a year or two, when I can afford it and it calls home.

But the Seax is limited use. The Bowie is not. Who said the Bowie would be a worse stabber than the seax? The Bowie could stab harder. The seax could stab as hard and take your finger off when you slip.

You know, as long as the 'real' sword and knife folks think HI's versiono of the Seux is 'off'; we might as well throw away what's left of historical accuracy and add a hilt.

munk

If you have to get one, then go for the Cherokee Bowie.

crose.jpg

You dont need a guard for fighting. The guard is an option for safe binding of opponents blade - which is a thing I wouldn do with short weapon either.
I would like see more lanky and light version of seax for fighting, which would consist of forecuts at opponent weapon arm at first instance.

I like saexes with this type of handle, which is little bit safer that normal. This is an eastern type of this weapon and differs from anglosas version(I like this most of them):

http://www.frojel.com/Images/Galleries/Gotland/Images/seaxaxes4.jpg

This is tang mounted, but they have bowie like look:

http://www.frojel.com/Images/Galleries/Gotland/Images/seax33.jpg

And sword-like one :

http://www.frojel.com/Images/Galleries/Gotland/Images/seaxe9.jpg

This is huge:

http://www.frojel.com/Images/Galleries/Gotland/Images/seaxe2.jpg

Notice again "my" type of handle :

http://www.frojel.com/Images/Galleries/Gotland/Images/swords23.jpg

And ordinary knives in sheath:
http://www.frojel.com/Images/Galleries/Gotland/Images/knife472a.jpg
http://www.frojel.com/Images/Galleries/Gotland/Images/knife72.jpg
http://www.frojel.com/Images/Galleries/Gotland/Images/knifesheath0.jpg

While on the subject of AK Bowie.. due to the shape, the relative size of the handle, and the hole at the end of the handle - it might be possible to design a pole with a mount that could turn Bowie into yari, and then back to Bowie, in matter of seconds. A combination of a knife and a walking stick that could turn into a spear. Any thoughts?

Gee... everyone just wants to poke holes in people. You don't need a guard to peel an apple.

Not that I don't enjoy poking holes in folks as much as the next guy, but maybe this is more of a utility knife. :confused:

I am looking more to HI Seax rather than AK Bowie.

HI Seax average legth is about 14" and it's weight is about 18 ozs.
AK Bowie average length is about 15" and it's weight is about 23 ozs.

HI Seax has a shape that excell in cutting and stabbing while at the same time has a weight that suite for slashing and light chopping. I guess HI Seax is more effective in fighting, slaughtering animal, cullinary, utility, light farming and growth clearing works.

No doubt the sheath for HI Seax do need little adjustment or customization to suit it's owner!

If only Uncle Bill has a leftover HI Seax with UBDOTD price .. I'll take it right now!

I definately do more chopping than stabbing. I really don't do any stabbing. I got a Rose, Danny. That is my "keep next to the bed for things that go bump in night" knife. Yvsa really designed a winner there. I know I will end up with both eventually. I guess whichever comes up first as a UBB will be the first.

BruiseLeee said:
Gee... everyone just wants to poke holes in people. You don't need a guard to peel an apple.

Not that I don't enjoy poking holes in folks as much as the next guy, but maybe this is more of a utility knife. :confused:

Turkey and apples might be the extent of the "action" ;) that my seax (currently getting etched by Ferrous) will most likely see. I bet it would have done a nice number on our Jack-O-Lantern pumpkin last week, though.

I should be getting my HI Bowie in the mail today, and I just won the deal of the day on the HI Seax. So, I'll try to compare them, although I don't really have any "tests" per se to try them out on.

hawkwind said:
You dont need a guard for fighting. The guard is an option for safe binding of opponents blade - which is a thing I wouldn do with short weapon either.
I would like see more lanky and light version of seax for fighting, which would consist of forecuts at opponent weapon arm at first instance.

*SNIPPING*

.....Is highly conjectural. Maybe so on western blades like bowies and the good old longsword or such, but the sole purpose of the guard (as far as my school of Shingen Ryu Batou Jutsu) is of stopping your hand from sliding onto the sharp, shiny metal bit called the blade edge and thus losing our hand....

I would be much more confidant of using a fighting blade that had a guard than one that didn't and to say that a guard isn't needed on a fighting blade without clarification is being very myopic, IMOHO.

Just my $0.02, I tend to nitpick quite a bit. My apologies in advance for doing so...

So, I'll try to compare them, although I don't really have any "tests" per se to try them out on.
Shann, please post your report. It can be any test. Everybody have their own say and not necessary to be as detail as reported by few expert like Cliff Stamp, Will Kwan or Jim March although it will be very much appreciated if you can present it according to their step by step comparative format. TQ in advance.
but the sole purpose of the guard (as far as my school of Shingen Ryu Batou Jutsu) is of stopping your hand from sliding onto the sharp, shiny metal bit called the blade edge and thus losing our hand
Hibuke, it is true that front guard might help when the main application of the blade is for stabbing because it is natural that hands tends to slide forward to the frontal part of the handle during stabbing. Anyhow back guard (for example by enlarging the buttcap) helps very much in slashing and chopping application because hands tends to slide to the back part and losing the grip to the handle during slashing or chopping. Khukuri for example is more for slashing and chopping so that what Khukuri needs is actually a sort of back guard and not the front guard. That's why Khukuri handle is wider or thicker at the back part near to it's buttcap.

Back to Seax, I noticed HI Seax handle is slightly thicker at the frontal part and combine with the fact that Seax has a very pointy tip then minimumly it might serves the perpose of avoiding hands from sliding forward during stabbing. Anyhow slight bolster modification such as a flared top (or bottom) will further enhance it's security measure against the possibility of front sliding hands and losing it to the sharp blade edge.
guard is an option for safe binding of opponents blade
Hawkwind point is something to be highly considered when blade parrying technique is actively used during the clash.

Another 2 cents from me ..

Back