AK meet the NW

Thanks for the pics and vids, they are great. That AK looks awesome. :thumbup: I would really like to get my hands on one of those. The problem is that if I did the wife would use it on me!

I felt a disturbance in The Force on Sunday....must have been all those tree limbs and brush being hacked away with that AK :cool:

Envy smenvy - who'd want to tote all that steel around :eek: ?!!
Remember; I'm a minimalist at heart... Lightweight all the way :D !!!

akabuse09.jpg

If this is lightweight, I'd hate to see what that poor sherpa has to lug around. :D

Hey, 360joules-
What did you think of that Gerber Brush thinner? How did it work? (Notice, I didn't ask how it compares to the AK!! :) ) Did it cut well on thin vegetation, and was the edge acceptable from the factory or did it require some work?

By the way, awesome pics!

Thanks!!

Hi Mertzj,

I borrowed this from a friend to check out, so I didn't do any sharpening or anything, but it seemed to be pretty sharp as I received it. The Gerber really performed well clearing brush and even as a light chopper. I found it amazing that the entire blade, because of its shape, was sweet spot. I also like the axe-handle shape at the bottom, which made it very secure to swing around. I would never abuse it, but it worked very well for its intended purpose. :cool:

Great, thanks! I hope to get one soon and find out if that "extremely opinionated" comment was in fact "correct". :D
Thanks!

Great, thanks! I hope to get one soon and find out if that "extremely opinionated" comment was in fact "correct". :D
Thanks!

Oh, it was. I'll vouch for me. :D

BTW, welcome to the forum!! :thumbup:

Who makes your knife sheaths, especially the one on your right hip with the large pocket?

Thanks for the pics.

Just moved to your area and we are going to have to get together for a Busse bushwacking session someday.

Hi hdwr,

Those sheaths are made as a collaborative effort by myself and River 8. I do the easy part. :cool:

Congrats on your recent escape from that state further south. You're absolutely welcome to join us on any of our excursions -- we'll keep you informed. :thumbup:

:D

I have one of those 360/River 8 collaboration sheaths to carry my Ratweiler for SAR duty and it is outstanding. Well thought out and bombproof. My favorite part is the swivel attachment between the belt and sheath. I moves with you and doesn't give you a pant leg wedgie lol. :thumbup: Hoping to get one for my HHFSH too.]

Edited to add...It also allows for several ride heights so you can drop it below a pack belt. You can also wear it in sort of a hanging horizontal crossdraw for around camp. Totally out of the way and still handy.

Here's a couple pics of the modified Steel Heart...

Busse1.jpg

Busse2.jpg

AS 360 said, I reshaped the micarta, and sent it in to have the beak knocked off the butt, and all put back together...

In the photo above there is what I think is a Ratweiler handle in a kydex sheath with what looks like a bag / pouch type thing attached to the kydex sheath. The pouch looks a lot bigger and more useful than the small integral pouches that are part of the tactical nylon sheaths. Does anyone know how these pouches attach to the kydex sheaths? Also do they attach to all kydex or only some and who sells these pouches and sheaths? Any help you guys can give would be most appreciated.

The pouch is riveted to the kydex with copper saddle rivets pounded flat with a ball peen hammer (part of River 8's job). These go through the corner stitching and along the stiching through both layers of kydex. No reports of one coming lose...at all...yet. I am sure 360 and/or 8 will be along to elaborate if needed.

It is probably obvious from the pic but the pouch is optimized for use on one knee, leaving the sheath parallel to the ground. Fire making and survival kit are readily accessible and no part of the pouch is too deep to reach with your fingers. The snaps are top quality giving me confidence that my gear will be there when I need it. The bottom of the pouch is pinched pretty tight at the opening so that even when you have snaps undone your stuff isn't as inclined to fall forward and out in a standing position. It is a great piece of equipment. I probably shouldn't speak so highly of them since they can barely keep up with demand as it is LOL ;)

Edited to add...360 Joules is the point man on the sheath.

Just got back into town. Looks like I missed out big time this Sunday!

Awesome pictures and video. Can't wait to get out and start hacking with the AK residing in my closet...

Just got back into town. Looks like I missed out big time this Sunday!

Awesome pictures and video. Can't wait to get out and start hacking with the AK residing in my closet...

You totally missed out. Yep. Last weekend is done and gone forever. Too bad you'll never experience the joy that was "last weekend". :(

Of course, maybe we'll have another weekend like it soon. :D

Rabu9, I've received your email and I will get a response to you very soon. :thumbup:

Does anyone know how these pouches attach to the kydex sheaths?

Here's a SRKW Camp Tramp sheath in fetching "Tactical Pink," just completed.

CTpink.jpg

As Dunner said, the pouch is riveted directly to the kydex...

Cheers,

Very nice - hey I'm colour blind so the pink looks kind of grey to me. And for Schuey2002 - sorry about the lack of emails but if you can make me a couple of those sheaths I'll send you two emails!

Back