Al Mar SERE 2000 cutting/slicing ability

Hello, could somebody inform me what is Al Mar sere's cutting and slicing ability like in comparison to Spyderco Endura (the old (ATS-55) model with a hollow ground blade) for example? Is it about the same or significantly better?

I'm asking this because I was not satisfied with Endura's slicing ability because of its relatively thick edge and low hollow ground blade. The blade would struggle (obviously because of it's thick geometry) when cutting through an apple or an orange.

I'm considering buying a new high quality folder, either Al Mar sere 2000 or Spyderco Military. I'm drawn toward Al Mar because of its solid, massive built and its great fit and finish, but I would like to know more regarding Al Mar cutting performance since I couldn't find any appropriate info in the old thread's I've read (I've read Cliff Stamp review regarding Military's cutting ability,but haven't found anything similar regarding Al Mar sere 2000 ) .

thanks

I haven't used my S2k that much and haven't done any real testing but it has a rather thick edge and a saber grind. That probably doesn't make it the best slicer on the market.

Apart from that the fit and finish is great but I think it's to heavy and I don't like how it rides in the pocket.

//Fredrik

a rather thick edge you say...oh ****, I hoped this wouldn't be the case...it's somewhat difficult to accept that such high quality knife does not cut well...

has anybody owned al mar sere and endura here?

ErikD

Gold Member
The SERE worked fine as a slicer for me. Used it to carve a turkey one Thanksgiving. :cool:

Thanks for the link.I didn't know about the Manix. It's impressive piece of a knife. And it's a lockback,though I wouldn't know whether this is a good or a bad thing...

Stalin's grandson said:
...it's somewhat difficult to accept that such high quality knife does not cut well...

In general, a knife intended for heavy use is going to have a thick blade, regardless of quality level. Thin blades generally make good slicers, even when the quality is low.

Gordon

I have an AL Mar SERE operator wit a fixed s30v blade, it cuts, no, not cuts, slices, very well, very very well indeed. i definetly think s30v is the way to go, reagardless of the manufacturer you choose.

If you like the fit and finish on the Al Mar SERE, but are looking for a better slicer, look at the Al Mar Shrike. Same basic overall construction, but a much thinner blade for better slicing. The lock seems about the same to me on these two and the Shrike has micarta scales whereas the SERE seems to have G10. I have both and the Shrike seems to be a better slicer than the SERE.

John

Stalin's grandson said:
I'm asking this because I was not satisfied with Endura's slicing ability because of its relatively thick edge and low hollow ground blade. The blade would struggle (obviously because of it's thick geometry) when cutting through an apple or an orange...

???

Although I gave my ATS 55 Endura to my son, I still frequently carry an ATS 55 Delica I purchased at the same time.

I take a few swipes on my softest stone every week, and unless I've abused it like recently while cutting fiber HVAC filters on concrete and I sharpen when I'm done, it'll still easily shave throughout the week.

Although my EDC is generally one of a few Benchmades (710HS, 690 or in the past a 440c Grip - a GREAT knife) I believe the Delica and Endura (plain edge) are GREAT bang for the buck.