Alaska Minimum Required Survival Kit -- BY LAW

I thought ya'll'd be interested in this. Alaska law requires you to have a number of items in a survival kit when flying a private plane. The rules vary somewhat for multiple passengers and commercial, but the list is the minimum.

Food for each occupant sufficient to sustain life for two weeks
One axe or hatchet
One first aid kit
One pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun, and ammunition for same
one small gill net and an assortment of tackle such as hooks, flies, lines, sinkers, etc.
one knife
two small boxes of matches
one mosquito headnet for each occupant
two small signaling devices such as colored smoke bombs, railroad fuses, or very pistol shells, in sealed metal containers

In Addition, in the winter you must have

one pair of snowshoes
one sleeping bag
one wool blanket for each occupant over four

Canada has many more items which are more specifically defined.

Looking at this list, I would want to add more firemaking tools, a pot and a tarp. This, combined with an entire plane, would make a nice supply of things in a crash setting. What other things would ya'll consider adding? And what would you put together to meet the qualifications of "Food... for two weeks"?

I will be putting a kit similar to this together in the next week or so, I'll need it before I do my cross country solo. I will also have appropriate winter clothing stowed, as well as the normal knives around my person. Any place more than 5 or so miles west of here will not be accessible by ground in another month or so (The ice on the river melts, no bridges), and there is a highway that goes north east and south-ish, but no other roads. I'd likely get to ride out in a helicopter courtesy of the nice ground pounders at Ft. Wainwright if I decided to land at a place off of normal airstrips.

Stryver

Thanks Stryver, another good post!

Additional things I can think of:
-pot certainly
-good multitool if not on body
-more matches, lighters (butane torch too) and a metal match (ex. the Davenport-type
smile.gif
) definitely
-TINDER, TINDER, TINDER and more TINDER (vaseline+cotton balls sprinkled with ground Mg according to taste in a watertight canister)
-pocket chain saw (optional)
-large portable water container (ex. 10l=~2.5 gallon Dromedary Bag) (makes good floating device too)
-zip-lock bags
-balloons or condoms for water storage as a last resort
-separate container for fuel (~1-2 l min) (additional floating device)
-Nalgene water canteen (with wide opening, stuffed with other items like medical kit or food and tightened to waterproof) (or you can just simply store water in it) (more floatation device)
-550 parachute cord (must!!!)
-folding multifuel stove (optional)
-survival candles (shoe paste can type) (?)
-medical kit (if the one on plane is not enough) (antibios, sunblocker, iodine, KMnO4, bandage, painkillers, coca leaves to be more endurant than the underfed Mexican silver miners and many more-see other's post for more suitable ideas)
-binoculars
-compass (must)
-a small emergency transmitter (?if such thing exists?)
-mosquito repellent
-mylard emergency plastic bag for each person (for ground to air signaling too)
-tarps or ponchos
-signal mirror and storm whistle
-snare wire (airplane itself might provide enough)
-flashlights (Photon or other led plus a stronger one) with extra batteries
-some tool (knife or saw) to cut up airplane
-water purifier filter and/or iodine
-strong working gloves
-snow gaiters (?)
-folding spade (snow shovel too maybe?)
-backpacks to stuff things in
-edible plant chart and knots-and-traps chart
-list of items and notes on how to use them for those not visiting the Forum frequently enough
-large bandanas and cap/bushat
-extra pair of bullet-proof eye-glasses in titanium frame (preferably Armani for more style
smile.gif
)
-your favourite bear pepper spray
-your spiritual and/or technical literature

Food:
-beef bouillon cubes
-power bars and gorp in vacuum sealed pack
-salt and electrolite powder
-ground vitamin and iron and whatever-your-favorite supplement mix suited for personal needs

As for your co-pilot or flight attendant, that might be your significant one, Ron Hood, Sandra Bullock or the optimal mix of any of those. That is understandably a tough decision and I would certainly leave it for your personal choice.

Sorry for the long post.
Best,

HM

Good post & reply, about the only thing i would add is a couple of cases of MRE's takes care of meals pretty handily, especially if you get the ones with heaters in them.

------------------
"Actions speak louder than words"

It's nice to know that there is a state that still has its head screwed on right!!!

------------------
Big-Target>>>>>>SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Weight gets precious in a small plane pretty quick, and I doubt a couple cases of MREs would treat my weight and balance calculations very nice.

I do intend on creating my own first aid kit, and my firearm of choice for this (More because of availability than any other reason) will be a .22 rifle. Handguns are less viable because they limit flight to this state (Canada has this thing against them
smile.gif
). The plane does carry an emergency transponder, designed to turn on at impact, or be manually turned on.

The thing I have been wondering about is how to fulfill that two weeks of food part. I could probably get away with a couple dozen candy bars, shoot, I could argue that I can survive two weeks without food. But If I were to put together two weeks worth of food, with weight as the first priority, cost the second, and space the third, what would it be? I have personal prejudices against prepackaged dehydrated meals. I don't have any particular prejudices against dehydration in general (It can produce some rather nice hallucinations. And it won't show positive in a piss test...) My first thought is to start with a few pounds of flour and some dried fruit. Add some herring snacks and a pound or two of jerky, and that should do me nicely for two weeks. Add salt and baking soda, and I could even make coffee cake. On that thought, I should probably add at least a half pound of coffee...

Ideally, this entire kit would fit into my three day pack. This puts me without my pack, but even for three days, I normally carry my smaller knapsack anyways... And maybe I could take three days some week and go test my kit...

Stryver

Two weeks worth of food?

What about nuts and/or dried fruit? Not very heavy, keeps for ever, available everywhere - and tastes nice too!

------------------
"..it is foolishness and endless trouble to cast a
stone at every dog that barks at you.."

Weight is always a problem as well as bulk. I reccommend you look at MAINSTAY emergency rations. These are Coast Guard approved survival rations. They come in a foil pack weighing 1lb. 8oz. pre-cut in six pieces. This is a three day supply of 1,200 caleries per day. Three of these per person would be ideal. This would also give you a little extra cushon. They are not freeze dried so extra water is not a problem. I cut down the size of my BOB a lot with these.They do weigh more than freeze dried but do not require water to eat. Not gormet quisine but it will keep you going.

Cheers,

ts

------------------
Guns are for show. Knifes are for Pros.

An easily packed foodstuff is rice. A little bit goes a long way, impervious to hot or cold, and simple to prepare. Might be an option for part of the aforementioned food requirements.

I've got to second the Mainstay http://www.survivorind.com/ emerg ration plug. We got a case of 2400 cal ones http://www.survivorind.com/mainstay2400.htm and have some in the truck, car and both 72hour bug out bags. One bag is for the wife and I and the other is for the kids.http://www.yahoosite.com/year2000/mainstay.html http://raytech.simplenet.com/survivor/mainstay.htm

Actully there rather tasty and filling for a compressed food bar. They taste a lot like lemon pie crust.

[This message has been edited by Shrike9 (edited 02-27-2000).]

I think you have in the above posts a good selection of equipment. The mainstay is a decent food supply also. There are also some pilots survival tablets I have seen advertised, I bought some but have yet to try them/ A bottle is supposedly 12 days worth, with little physical activity, and fits in a military canteen pouch. Does anyone else know anythign about these and if they are worth carrying. They might be a good supplement or food source.

------------------
Lee

LIfe is too important to be taken seriously. Oscar Wilde

HM - That's a very comprehensive list, but it's A LOT more than you would every want to carry in a light plane.

I think an important question here is what type of plane is it? Your CG and hauling ability vary quite a bit just from a C152 to a C172 (I should know, I have quite a bit of time in both). If it's a 172, you can carry a little more, but either way a case of MREs does not seem out of line. Your FI will not be with you, so you can just strap the case in the passenger seat and put the rest of your kit in the small baggage comp. The bag of rice sounds like a good idea, in fact you could live off of little else. Throw in some dried meat and you have a meal. I would lean towards low effort meals like the MRE though, since you have to consider that you may very well be injured (possibly seriously - we're talking about an emergency landing at best, and a crash at worst in rugged terrain) and would need something that requires no preparation. If you don't want to take a whole case, at least throw in 1 or 2 MREs or something comparable. Along this same line (activity limited by injury) I would also carry a gallon or two of water and a good first aid kit. Hopefully, the ELT in your aircraft will attract the attention of rescuers, but you cannot rely on it entirely. Contrary to popular belief, comm. jets do not always moniter the freq. Be sure to give flight service a buzz and file a good flight plan, and don't forget to activate it when you are airborne (an easy thing to do). This way, someone will probably come looking. I have personally been up looking for ELT transmissions, and I can tell you that they are not easy to pick up until you are pretty close. Carry some good flares, and check with the FBO that maintains the a/c to make sure the ELT has been tested recently, and the battery has the required life left in it. It is not unusual for an ELT to be set off by a student during a spine crunching landing, and this can go completely unnoticed (especially at an uncontrolled field). I have made a few landings myself where I felt it necessary to check the freq just to make sure
redface.gif
Since the ELT battery is separate from the main a/c battery, you will still be able to use your radios (provided they survive the ordeal) without shortening the life of your ELT. Just something to keep in mind. If an a/c passes over, they may not be looking for you or monitering the emerg. freq, but you may be able to raise them on multicomm or the unicom of the nearest airstrip. Worth a shot anyway, so I wouldn't go slicing into your electrical wiring for snares. I assume that it is still damn cold up there, and I have heard that some early Cessnas were pretty susceptible to carb ice. Be sure to go over that with your instructor to see what preventative measures you should follow. Keep in mind that it can still occur when the outside temp is in the 50's. I have personally seen the needle on the tac going the wrong way due to carb ice, and it is not a good feeling!! I also saw a student and instructor land once in the winter only to have the engine die just after touchdown. This premature shutdown was to due to ice in the carb throat, so it can happen to anyone -even your instructor. Always be aware of it.

Well, I gotta shut up. I'm starting to sound like that annoying woman from the King tapes (Stryver, if you've ever seen them, you know what I'm talking about
smile.gif
). It's just that when I get started talking about airplanes and flying I get very excited! I'm sure you do to! Hope I've provided a little bit of help, or at least something to think about. If you every want to shoot the sh*t about aviation, shoot me an email. I'm always up for it. Sorry again for the length.

I will be flying a 172, and they are very well maintained. I'm flying out of an AFB Aeroclub, and the chances of them letting something like an accidental ELT activation go unnoticed are slim to none, and slim just got hit out at the A-10 range. The aero club has four other planes, would have my flightplan, and would be responsible for locating ELT transmissions anyways should one be noticed or suspected. And I have friends who fly Sandy missions for the A-10 (CSAR). I have no doubts in their ability to find me.

That said, I can stick 120 lbs of cargo in the cargo area, and can fudge, and move it up to the rear passenger area, and add more. My personal preference is for flour over rice, and to stay away from energy 'bars' and 'pills'. Just a little bias of mine. I do agree with the sentiment of a couple MREs anyways, though I might replace those with canned/dried meals of my own choosing. (Herring snacks anyone?). In the winter, the chances of an emergency landing going successfully are high. You land on snow, the snow flips the plane over, and you crawl out, shook up but unharmed. In summer, it gets more difficult. A crash, as opposed to a planned emergency landing, is less likely to be survived from, but the aeroclub has not had one yet, and I don't intend on starting a new tradition.

Thanks for all the advice! I will be packing my kit up this next week or so, and will let ya'll know what finally goes into it.

Stryver

Ahhhh, how nice it must be to take off and I land from an AFB! I can only dream!! At a field with a tower, you are absolutely right - there is no excuse for an unnoticed ELT. At uncontrolled fields far away from class D or better airspace however, it does happen because there is not a tower constantly monitering the freq. You're very lucky to have such a great facility to train out of!

The 172 is a wonderful airplane to fly. I have to say though that I have a personal preference for Pipers. I have a good amount of time in Archers, and yes even the dreaded Traumarock (Tomahawk for the uninitiated) and they are good planes. The archers are smooth, fast, forgiving, and strong enough to haul all of your goodies. I have to say that a Mooney Bravo or that dream bird the Commander 114B
biggrin.gif
sure would be nice though!! I have a few hours in a Mooney 201 and it is a sweet ride indeed!!

Speaking of taking off and landing from an AFB - did you happen to see that article a while back (maybe a year and a half or so) in either Flying or Flight Training (can't remember which) about that guy that got to land on the dry lake bed at Edwards? He knew someone on base I think and managed to get permission to fly his Piper Cub (yep, you read that right) into Edwards, land on the lake bed, and was then given a tour of the facility.
cool.gif
Sweet. If you haven't seen it, but you'd like to shoot me an email and I'll try to dig it up.

Another item to add would be a small Survival pamphlet or one of the books on Alaskan wild edible plants. I haven't seen any in a few years but I know some good ones are out there. At least one or two that might ID some of the trees in the area in case others don't know what they are and their uses. This just came to mind, how aobut a small note or letter you write detailing the contents of a kit and various uses and other considerations. Same for the local area plants and animals and considerations for them, it would probably help them feel more secure. just a thought. Take care.

------------------
Yol bolsun,
Jamie

Back