All Jade Slip Joint

Hmmm, I wonder if that would work?
I wonder how many times that has been the beginning of something special?
That is essentially what happened here. I have read that jade is an amazing stone, so tough that it has been used as the head of a golf club. I have no idea if that is true but it got me thinking that, if it is that tough , then I should be able to make a knife with solid jade handles. So I tried it.
I seriously think I am going to keep this one for my own personal collection.
This is a Slip Joint knife, also known as your old fashioned jack knife.
It is 3 1/4" closed 5 3/4" open.
The blade and back spring are 154CPM.
Please let me know what you think.
Would it hold up to being an every day carry knife?
Thanks
Steve
All-Jade-Slippy-1.jpg All-Jade-Slippy-2.jpg All-Jade-Slippy-3.jpg All-Jade-Slippy-4.jpg All-Jade-Slippy-5.jpg

That is an oriental treasure! I would sure like to try wearing it out. I love jade and you made it extra special.Nicely done. :thumbsup:

I live in Alaska, one of the big sources of Jade. I sell a lot, work with a lot. Yes it is hard. Should not scratch easily. However it is a material that usually has a fiberous grain to it, with potential weak directions. If dropped it could break along one of these weak lines. It has a direction it prefers to be cut to pay attention to. I had a customer buy a jade handle knife from me, used it for hacking on trees, and the jade split upon impact. I usually tell customers, it is a better material for looks than toughness. Yours looks like it will hold up fine, but just passing on observations to think about. Very nice knife!

Back