All of my Bladeforums brothers and sisters are THE BOMB.

Fletcher Knives

STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO
I just decided to hit the "last" button on the list of threads in this forum, just to see what we were all talking about and what the FK's looked like back in 2010. It's hard to believe that I started learning from Andy back in 2009 and have been a full-time knifemaker since 2010. When I look at the knives from back then, I can't help but cringe at a lot of the grinds and finishing work. I remember some of the insane ways Andy and I used to have for finishing the knives. At one point in time, I set and cleaned the plunges with Swiss files. Oh man... I can't tell you how dumb that is, knowing what I know now. In fact, most of the methods I used to use for everything seem nuts compared to the processes I use today. Of course, I have to keep in mind that I was learning from Andy, who was himself, at that time, still a new knifemaker, and he had learned by what he could read on the forums and from word-of-mouth knowledge. Honestly, Andy didn't just teach me knifemaking basics. He really gave me an entirely new career and path. Pretty awesome the effect that learning to make knives as a profession can have. I will say, looking at those old ass knives, though they look very amateur, the designs and execution weren't bad at all. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up one of those old bastards and use the crap out of it. Back then, I still cared most about the same things I do today, being edge geometry, grind geometry, handle contours, bla bla bla. The ideas haven't really changed, just the quality of the execution.

As a little comparison, I'm going to show the original models and what they have evolved into and you'll see what I mean.

Here's the original Delta Foxtrot model, which was the first design I put out:

DeltasO.jpg

And here's a current Delta-5 (actually it's from about a year ago, but still. That's pretty close.):

d5a1.jpg

It's been a wild journey, with a lot of struggle, and eeking by some months. I wouldn't trade any second of it for a real job though. This is definitely the way for me. In the time I've been doing this, I've had my work in magazines, taught two awesome apprentices, and a whole lot more.

I want everyone to know that I really appreciate all the business and support I've gotten from all of my customers and the entire community over the years. You guys are awesome and none of us knifemaking dummies could do what we do without you. I've seen plenty of budding knifemakers, who didn't respect or appreciate their customers, fold up shop faster than they started. The friends and customers ARE this community.

I started out exactly like everyone reading this thread, hanging out on Bladeforums, making friends here, reviewing knives, discussing gear, etc. I hope you guys don't forget that. I know I won't. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that "Dylside" (how many of you remember that screen name?) was reviewing gear and knives from RAT and SOG. Man, that was a long time ago.

So, just so everybody knows, I appreciate the hell out of everyone here and all of you are the reason us knifemakers get to do this.

Last edited:
:thumbup: Thanks Dylan! I just snagged one of your CPM154 24/7's in blue and black G10 from DLT Trading, and I have have to say, I'm very impressed with how good the knife feels in hand, and the quality of the craftsmanship. I also have one of your earlier Bush Operators in O1 I picked up from Devil Dog Ron.

Great post Dylan. Congratulations on all your success! Your skills and attention to detail in your work are second to none.

Phil

(P.S. - Where's my 24/7? :) )

Back