Allan Foundry Octagon hawks.

Wasn't sure for the longest time if I wanted one of these but I found some pictures on google recently that forced me to buy not one but two.

Fantastic tomahawk, came shaving sharp thanks to Ragnar, 18" oiled hickory handles, 410 stainless cast head.
100_0090.jpg

They come with "Cast steel, Allan MFG, Warranted" pressed on the right side of the hawk.
100_0087.jpg

100_0085.jpg

They're great throwers, weigh 14 ounces each, a bit light but very well balanced, 5 1/2 pace throw for me.

100_0082.jpg

100_0083.jpg

Here's the haft it comes with(right) next to a haft from black bear haversack(left) with the head resting on top, I removed the black "powder coating" using a wire wheel on my grinder, gives you a nice gun metal gray color.
100_0091.jpg

If you don't own any hawks from Pete Allan I suggest you go buy some!

Bought these at 43$ a piece, 6$ to ship the entire order(Ragnar covers extra costs, shipping cost him 13$ and he pays for it from his profit) at www.ragweedforge.com.

They may not be the best for someone who spends a lot of time in the woods, the 410 steel is certainly no 5160 but it holds an edge and sharpens easy with a file or a stone, they bite deep, well balanced and sturdy as hell.

EDIT And I would rather have two of these than four cold steel hawks.

Last edited:
Oh I would like to mention that there is at least one downfall to the heads being cast, that is every "defect" no matter how small will be on every single hawk you buy of the same design, if there's a divot on one the same divot will be on the other.

Nice looking hawks, thanks for posting the pics. Planning any mods?

The only mods I would do to these is remove the finish, which I did about an hour ago, I'll post pictures soon. These are going to be my throwers so I don't want to pretty up the handles, I might refinish the heads, sand them down or something.

I guess one might refer to these units as hawktagons. Or maybe not.

Hehe, that's a good name for them.

While an axe head cast of stainless steel might not be exactly my ideal, I'm certain it's stronger that the cast axes of copper and bronze from the old days.

Heat treat and user technique would be what defines the durability factor though. If the heads are only mildly heat treat - if treated at all - they should be reasonably sturdy. You really don't necessarily need an axe bit to be as well tempered as a knife.

The geometry on those really does look nice.

...These are going to be my throwers so I don't want to pretty up the handles...

Tell us about the handles...I have an Alan Foundry A-23C British Belt Axe which has a very thin haft...I love the head...hate the haft.

While an axe head cast of stainless steel might not be exactly my ideal, I'm certain it's stronger that the cast axes of copper and bronze from the old days.

Heat treat and user technique would be what defines the durability factor though. If the heads are only mildly heat treat - if treated at all - they should be reasonably sturdy. You really don't necessarily need an axe bit to be as well tempered as a knife.

The geometry on those really does look nice.

Certainly, I can't attest for their durability out in the woods and such but before I sold my french lady hawk and my bearded axe from allan, I had put them both through their paces, dinged up edges, tons of chopping and cutting and they both held up extremely well. That's really one aspect of Pete Allan's hawks I love, they take a lot of abuse but they're real easy to sharpen back up. Removing a chipped edge is as simple as 30 minutes with a bastard file and some sand paper.

Tell us about the handles...I have an Alan Foundry A-23C British Belt Axe which has a very thin haft...I love the head...hate the haft.

I guess it depends on your tastes really, like I said they're 18" hickory handles, Ragnar oils them himself I think, they're very smooth and there's no splinters on them. The taper goes from 1" tear drop at the top of the handle down to 3/4" round at the bottom, personally I prefer these smaller handles, I don't know why but they feel more natural to me than a handle from crazy crow or black bear haversack, the taper is very precise, no belly or anything in the center.

I'll snap some pictures of the handles next to a black bear haversack handle in a few minutes for you.

nice looking stuff Kenny

Thanks viking.

Here you go

100_0091.jpg

The handles that you get from blackbearhaversack are pretty dang fat, I believe they're exactly the same as the handles Steve Liley sends out with his hawks, personally I don't like them, they taper down to about the middle of the haft and then they taper back out to the other end; it ends up giving you a very heavy and odd in my opinion unwieldy handle.

If you have very large hands I can see how the handle you get with Pete's hawks could be uncomfortable, but I have fairly large hands and I prefer Allan foundry's hafts.

Last edited:
I have had one for years. Originally came blunt but I worked on it until I could shave with it and then proceeded to abuse the snot out of it. I can still shave with it.

Back