Almar knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by joh, Mar 16, 2008.

1. joh

joh

Nov 18, 1998
    I am very interested in purchasing an Almar Eagle or Falcon ultralight, I really love the lines of these knives and they appear very high quality. Can anyone with experience with these knives give me some feedback as to their durability. Also how is the Aus 8 steels edge retention.

2. mikemock

mikemock

Feb 17, 2008
    I'm also interested in an Al Mar -- I would also like to know what people's experiences are.

I like the Falcon Lightweight Talon

M.

3. stevewest

stevewest

Nov 25, 2006
    I have an Eagle Talon Ultralight. Nice knife. Very light and will disappear in your pocket. They come very sharp out of the box. Construction is very good as is the fit and finish. The Aus 8 seems to hold a good edge - I would not say it is on par with s30v or zdp189, but it is servicible. Sharpens up very easily. I like it and would buy another Almar but the guys in Golden have been getting alot of my business lately.

4. joh

joh

Nov 18, 1998
    What is the difference in the Talon & the plain blade???

5. R.S.R

R.S.R

Apr 7, 2005
    I have a AL-MAR Falcon,one of my most favourite EDC.
    The steel is (AUS 8) is good enough to carry out the the task`s that you will require it to do.
    I would recommend the Plain blade (same as mine)The Talon has a false edge on the upper side of the blade half way along the blade from the tip.
    www.pvk.com has it on sale,about 70$.(Last time I looked on their web site)
    You can see the difference between the Talon and Plain blades on their site.
    A GOOD knife and you will be pleased with it`s lightness and build quality.

6. timsclips

timsclips

Nov 27, 2007
    I have an Eagle Talon with black micarta handles. It is over 10 years of age so it would be the original run of this model as I saw somewhere that they were discontinued for a time and then brought back. It has the distinction of being the highest priced folder in my collection.

7. mikemock

mikemock

Feb 17, 2008
    Why would your recommend the plain blade. Is there a functional difference or is it just because of how it looks?

Also, how thin is the handle?

How smooth and easy does the blade open?

Thanks.

M.

8. cutter17

cutter17

May 16, 2006
    The Talon would have a finer point than the regular blade. I like the looks of the Talon over the regular blade myself. I would like to have the Eagle with the cocobolo handles. Now that is one sweet looking folder!!

Oh yeah, the Talon blade has dual thumbstuds for one hand opening while the regular blade only has a thumb nick in the blade and takes two hands to open.

9. chuck buck

chuck buck

Nov 4, 2007
    im not sure about the ultralights first hand. however i EDC a Shrike and love it. its vg-10 and the liner lock is one of the more secure that ive seen. easy to clean and sharpen and opens like a breeze. my buddy owned the nomad which is also a great edc if you want a little smaller package. thats all i gots -CB

10. stevewest

stevewest

Nov 25, 2006
    mikemock-took a tape to the eagle talon I have-handle measures out to 11/32"-blade looks like it is around 3/32". These are not very robust knives as the blade is quite thin, but I really like it for the role it fills.

11. Wildewinds

Wildewinds

Nov 20, 2006
    I carried an Al Mar Hawk Ultralight for a couple years on my keychain. It was my most used knife and I loved it. Unfortunately, I lost it. I *just* got an Al Mar Falcon Ultralight in the mail not even 30 minutes ago to replace my beloved Hawk. It's a bit longer, but still very lightweight. Like the Hawk, it has perfect fit and finish, no blade play, and I think it has an even sharper factory edge than the Hawk did, and that thing was wicked sharp.

By the way, the non-Talon Falcon has the thumbstuds on both sides of the blade, not a thumb nick like Cutter17 mentioned. Same with the non-Talon Hawk.

12. hardheart

hardheart

Sep 19, 2001
    not on the ultralights, those are linerless black micarta handles with pocket clip and opeing studs. you mean the classics

I had a plain Falcon. light, good F&F, sharp. Stiff spring and aggressive texture on studs made opening a little un-fun. I preferred it to the Talon because the taller grind height meant a smaller angle and better cutting over the saber grind

13. quinque voces

quinque voces

Oct 18, 2005
    I bought a Al Mar Eagle recently. Fit and finish are as excellent as the ergonomics. For a traditional backlock folder it is a lightweight knife and much better balanced than a Buck 110. There is only one flaw to it: When closed the bottom of the blade protudes the handle. I can live with that because the knife is sold with a thin leather sheath which protects it and the pocket it is carried in.

Mike

14. joh

joh

Nov 18, 1998
    Thaks all for the feedback, looks like the Al Mar Eagle will be my next purchase

15. cdf

cdf

Nov 12, 2004
    Al Mar has better fit and finish than lots of customs . I have been a fanboy since the early eighties , Wish they wernt so hard to find up here .

Chris

16. missin_hobo

missin_hobo

Aug 9, 2007
    The SERE 2k was the foremost contender for my regular EDC before the Sebenza won out. The Al Mars are all wonderful knives if you ask me. Well designed and well constructed, using time-tested materials - hard to loose.