Almite Walker...Wow!

:thumbup:

This is my first Spyderco knife that I've owned. I bought it from soonerstateknives.com for a great price on ebay, and I couldn't be happier.

I've always been a Benchmade fanboy as my grandfather is big into their knives. I like all his BM's, so that what I decided to start buying after getting past my "Junk knife" stage. (You all had one too, admit it. :))

I will say that I'm not a fan of the way Spyderco's look. I'm big into extremely simple, plain looking knives (I've carried a Kershaw Leek for the past 6 months, if that gives you an idea). I've only seen a few real "sleek" versions from Spyderco, and the Walker was one of them. I love this thing. Blade size and grind is perfect for my EDC needs, it's dressy yet still a workhorse. This is also my first experience with good blade steel (And VG-10 rocks my world). I've had some nice steels on my BM balisongs, but I never used those for cutting, just collecting and flipping).

I think this is going to be a perfect EDC for me. Good steel, good balance, small yet fills the hand, extremely tight lockup and good looks. Spyderco has a winner with this one, why don't they still make it?

Anyway, the original point of this thread was to ask for the thread size for the clip on this knife? If you guys are familiar with it, you know that it has a 3 hole pattern that has one screw up high, then two next to each other below that. In an effort to make my carry more discreet, I plan on taking off the top portion of the clip, and drilling/tapping two holes closer to the top of the handle, so the knife sits lower in my pocket while carrying.

As you can see in these pics, it would be an extremely easy thing to do. All I need to know is what drill/tap size to buy.

sp22blp.jpg

Thanks for any help. Sorry for the wordy post, I'm just exctied about my new toy.

TFin04,

You might look at the thread "Custom Low Rider pocket clips" in the For Sale:Gear and Gadgets section of The Exchange. STR has some really nice examples of custom low-ride clips (as the title for the thread would indicate, I know...:D ). That might be an option that would allow you to keep the same location of the holes, and would obviate drilling new ones. You could also go back to the factory clip that way.

I am in no way affiliated with STR; just think he does great work, based on the pictures posted.

I have been carrying one since Christmas. It's my EDC for the corporate work environment. I do not carry it clipped to my pocket. I just throw it in my front right pocket. The slim style makes it perfect for carrying it in the pocket. It is a great little knife that has replaced my navigator.

Easy said:
TFin04,

You might look at the thread "Custom Low Rider pocket clips" in the For Sale:Gear and Gadgets section of The Exchange. STR has some really nice examples of custom low-ride clips (as the title for the thread would indicate, I know...:D ). That might be an option that would allow you to keep the same location of the holes, and would obviate drilling new ones. You could also go back to the factory clip that way.

I am in no way affiliated with STR; just think he does great work, based on the pictures posted.

I've seen his work, it's great. His prices have gone up (as per the quote he gave me in an email yesterday) from his original thread here on BF. I'm not going to say that his work isn't worth it, just that I can do it myself cheaper.

I'll take most of the metal off the top of the clip with a bench grinder, then file it to a nice round edge. Put the clip side handle on my drill press and drill/tap away. The only cost will be the price of a tap and maybe a bit. I may even beadblast the clip to make it match the handles a bit more. I'll post pics when I'm finished.

Anyone know the tap size?