Almost too pretty to use...

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by TRfromMT, Nov 28, 2019.

1. TRfromMT

TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    First post here from a new guy (to axes). You all are a bad influence(!) and I finally bought my first axe head (thank you @Agent_H). A Keen Kutter boys axe head is on its way.

About me... Over the past few years I've done a couple hundred custom knife handle projects. I am a 3rd generation woodworker and knife handles are pretty much my hobby. I don't do the steel, and I don't do synthetic handles. Just wood. I figure it's time to try my hand at making an axe handle and hanging it myself.

My projects tend to be almost too pretty to use, (although I love seeing guys use my knife handles). Here's an example of a piece from a couple years ago...

20170424_171127~01.jpg 20170424_173112~01.jpg 20170424_173000~01.jpg

I really like the combination of walnut and maple, and I am already imagining a 28" walnut handle, maple wedge, maple and mosaic pin inlay in the end of the handle.

But I'd love to see the wall-hangers out there. Please help me with some "almost too pretty to use" inspiration photos.

Post 'em up!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    d762nato, Trailsawyer, dirc and 6 others like this.
  2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    This is my idea of almost too pretty to use, but it's only a wall hanger because the head belonged to my great grandfather and the vintage handle is actually split but too nicely shaped for me to scrap.
    [​IMG]

rjdankert, Meek1, dirc and 4 others like this.