1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Almost too pretty to use...

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by TRfromMT, Nov 28, 2019.

1. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    First post here from a new guy (to axes). You all are a bad influence(!) and I finally bought my first axe head (thank you @Agent_H). A Keen Kutter boys axe head is on its way.

About me... Over the past few years I've done a couple hundred custom knife handle projects. I am a 3rd generation woodworker and knife handles are pretty much my hobby. I don't do the steel, and I don't do synthetic handles. Just wood. I figure it's time to try my hand at making an axe handle and hanging it myself.

My projects tend to be almost too pretty to use, (although I love seeing guys use my knife handles). Here's an example of a piece from a couple years ago...

20170424_171127~01.jpg 20170424_173112~01.jpg 20170424_173000~01.jpg

I really like the combination of walnut and maple, and I am already imagining a 28" walnut handle, maple wedge, maple and mosaic pin inlay in the end of the handle.

But I'd love to see the wall-hangers out there. Please help me with some "almost too pretty to use" inspiration photos.

Post 'em up!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    d762nato, Trailsawyer, dirc and 6 others like this.
  2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    This is my idea of almost too pretty to use, but it's only a wall hanger because the head belonged to my great grandfather and the vintage handle is actually split but too nicely shaped for me to scrap.
    [​IMG]

rjdankert, Meek1, dirc and 4 others like this.