Alox caplifter has play

Happy Saturday all!

Got my new 2020 Limited Pioneer in a couple days ago. Beautiful knife! However, the caplifter has play you can distinctly feel.
[Oddly enough, the caplifter's neighbor, the Awl, has no play. So is it even a pin issue? ]

I know I can send it back to Victorinox, but do you all think I could just tighten the pin myself? Or is it not worth risking damaging the knife?

I was thinking of making an attempt with a punch and hammer, but honestly I'm not sure what I'm doing. Wanted to get some feedback first! I don't mind working on my own stuff, I just don't want to damage the knife.

Thanks all!!

Have you ever successfully repaired a similar issue before? I wouldn't attempt fixing it myself. If you make it worse you have no recourse.

Have you ever successfully repaired a similar issue before? I wouldn't attempt fixing it myself. If you make it worse you have no recourse.

No sir, I have not.

And to clarify, you can't see it move any more than the other tools. But the feeling is definitely there. It's triggering my OCD, especially considering it's an Alox Vic.

My "beater" Vic is a Tinker. All of her tools are solid.

If my knife had that issue, it would bother me a lot. I'd send it to Victorinox. I have maybe 20 Vics of all different sizes and configurations. None have that problem.

Peening Alox pin is no easy task, and I think it maybe fair to say good majority of the modders probably would mar the colored Alox surface, one way or another, when they are trying it the first time. So if I were to have OCD about the SAKs, I too would have suggested to exchange it for a new one.

Thanks for the feedback, comis!

I'll avoid making the attempt myself. I'll either send it in, or just learn to live with it for the moment. As long as it doesn't get worse maybe I'll get over it. Darn ocd. Lol

Get it sorted chap. Otherwise you'll always know it's there and it'll bother you and spoil your enjoyment of the knife.

You're right. I did make an attempt to tighten it up myself, by the way. Fortunately I didn't mar anything, but I got no where with it.

I do find it strange the play is in the caplifter and not the awl.

I'll find the time to send it into Victorinox! From what I hear, their warranty department is as good as Leatherman'!

Back