Alpha Dorado

propbuildervash

Gold Member
Hello,

Just wanted to get some info. When Buck discontinue the Alpha Dorado? I have had one on my belt for over 10 years and is my go-to folder due to its size and ease of carrying.

My son is a bit yound still (6) but I am seriously looking to find one for him and saving it until he gets his hunting license.

I am not really seeing much out there. the last time someone sold one on the forum was 2018.

Were they just a low run model that was not out for very long?

I mean, I could always get him a 112, but hes got gaga eyes for mine. What have you guys done for your kids when they got thier first knives? Did you get them a knife like yours or something more specifically geared towards youths?

Thanks

i dont see many of them.. not sure if weren't so popular or i just missed them cause they didnt hit my attention?

what ever ya get him he'll like it cause its from his father. I got my boy a Swiss army knife as he likes the tools. I haven't given him a Buck yet but I will when I feel he's ready for a serious knife. maybe one of mine from the collection maybe his own. haven't made up my mind yet or asked him.

I picked up a 110 in their birth years for each of my 2 grandsons. It'll be awhile before they're old enough though. Which is ok because daughter hasn't been consulted yet. I DID consult with their dad though and on his ok there are a couple youth model Remington 410's in the cabinet waiting for them also. :):thumbsup:

I got my wife a 271 in 2004. Buck did a run of those that year with ATS-34 steel.
She loves that model. Easy to open and carry, locks up solid. The blade shape is good for utility cutting. Plus, it's very strong. She finds it very dependable. A few years after that, they were gone. They came with a nice sheath too. A lot to like in that package.
Welcome propbuilder to the Buck forum. Good luck. DM

I bought my son a 303 but my wife won’t let me give it to him...I grew up in the mountains of NM and now live in Phoenix so my kiddos are city kids and my wife is afraid that’ll he’ll be knuckle head and cut himself (he’s 13)

Well my son didn’t have much interest in knives I think mainly because he was afraid to lose them. He had a hard time keeping track of things when he was a kid. But now that he’s grown and working on the farm and ranch he found it necessary to carry a pocket knife.

I have my grandkids started using knives especially when we go fishing or camping. My oldest grandson wanted one when he was 7 but his mom said he could have and use it if I or an adult was present. Lol. He picked out a small saddlehorn and was so excited when I bought it for him. Now he’s 18 and graduates in a few weeks.

I have gotten most of my grandkids a pocket knife at around 7-8 years old and so far no bad accident. They’ve learned to respect knives and property. That was their first lesson. I think start them with knives when young as they can keep focused and show proper respect.

The Alpha Dorado was a great knife, I often asked Buck to consider a larger version. Too much like their Alpha Hunter I suppose. I have a couple, also the fixed blade version.

His first knife will likely be sentimental so a quality knife will mean even more to him when he's an adult.
Get it for him and only let him use it under your supervision till he gets a little older.

Sorry for the delayed response. was helping my cousin move out of an abusive home yesterday so I was creazy busy.

Thanks for all the kind messages. i agree he will cut himself at some point. We all have, but due to proper training and technique we usually just get a nick here or there nothing major. I think it is part of learning to respect any blade.

I wish buck would allow custom orders for older models as well. My 271 was my first buck. I since have aquired a custom 110 with black horn handles and a Leroy Remer bulletproof glass handled 112.

I definitely want to give him a knife to grow into.

Back