ALS and my dad

Later this morning my dad is voluntarily being taken off life support after a 2.5 year battle with ALS. Im really at a loss right now. Hes been my hero my whole life. Healthy and hale he was diagnosed at 50 years old and I have watched a once proud, powerful man waste away to nothing. If you can spare a moment for a prayer or thought Id appreciate it. Im not really sure what else to say.
Aaron

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family I hope that you can find your way through this difficult time.

Aaron, my family and I will include both you and your father in our prayers this evening. I'm very sorry to hear this, I wish I had something to say to you that could bring you some comfort, but all I have are prayers to offer.

So sorry about all your going thru.Watched my Dad waste away from lung cancer.I spent my last night with him at his bed side.May God grant you some peace at this time.I'll pray for your peace .No way you can prepare for what is coming.We'll hold you and your family up in prayer

Sorry to hear this Aaron, smoke and prayers going out for your dad and your family.

There's no explanation for life, all we can do is make the best of what we have, enjoy the ones we love and learn from our experiences.

I'll be keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Prayers sent. I lost my dad in 99 and I still miss him. Honor your father's memories by living well.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I lost my father to ALS 6 years ago, and I remember watching a strong and intelligent man wither away. At the end, all you can do is let him know that it's O.K. to let go, and if your Mother is still alive, tell him she will be taken care of. Again, I can't tell you how sorry I am that you have to go through this.

Lance
P.S. If your father was ever in the military, or civil service working around ships, the V.A. considers ALS a disease that may be related to military and civil service work, It meant a difference in his payments, though nothing will replace your father.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words all. The last few days have been rough but we're all here together and that helps. Lance- VA rated him 100% 2 years ago.

Best with you and those you care for.
I hope the earlier memories that you have of your father remain well and strong.

Try and let those be the thoughts that remain with you.

It's been years since my grandma passed from ALS.
It's a cruel thing.

I'm not a religious person,
but she very much was.

I remember sitting in the hospital one day, and i thought.....a labour camp survivour....passing on like this....
I didn't feel right about it, but that's just the way of things.

Back