Altering a Kydex sheath for thicker blade?

I just picked up a Busse Game Warden; Sage coated blade with green linen Micarta scales. I needed a sheath for it and found a good deal on a Kydex model. Problem is, I misread a handy stats chart on Game Wardens and thought it had .140" blade. In fact, it has a .195" blade. (I would have put my dial caliper on the blade but the chart showed up in a post while I was sheath shopping and I figured it would save me the trouble.)

With judicious use of a heat gun, do you think I can make it work? 6/100" doesn't seem like all that much....

Stay sharp,
desmobob

If the profile is the same, just tape up everything that is going to touch the Kydex with some thin painter's tape (blue tape) to keep from marring it and then slowly heat the sheath with the heat gun. Make sure to run the heat steadily top to bottom to even heat it up, when it just gets "mushy", press the blade in slowly and firmly. Heat more as needed and you should be cool.

Hey Bob..

It is possible..

I have done it before,, however you can run into problems as well...
One of the big problems is distorting mounting holes if there aren't eyelets in them..

As well,, you could stress out the eyelets if they are too close to the edge and distort the look..

It all depends on how you do it...

I can always make you a new one if you bugger it up :)

Good luck

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

Erik and Eric,

I covered the blade with masking tape, then started forcing it into the sheath as I gradually heated it up with the heat gun.

It took a lot less heating than I anticipated, and there was no visible change/distortion in the sheath at all. It worked out very well.

It now fits as well as my two On/Scene Tactical sheaths.... ;)

Thanks guys.

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Erik and Eric,

I covered the blade with masking tape, then started forcing it into the sheath as I gradually heated it up with the heat gun.

It took a lot less heating than I anticipated, and there was no visible change/distortion in the sheath at all. It worked out very well.

It now fits as well as my two On/Scene Tactical sheaths.... ;)

Thanks guys.

Stay sharp,
desmobob

I was going to suggest just warming the Kydex and working the knife in and out until you had the fit you wanted. Nice going!

Back