1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative lubricants

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Josh K, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Josh K

Josh K Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I pulled a tube of Krytox GPL205 out and re-lubed an Inkosi with it. Feels great in the hand. Stiffer action than the default CRK grease, but different grades will produce different feels. I might pick up a tube of GPL201 to compare. I'd expect similar purpose lubricants like Tribolube 71 to feel pretty similar to the default CRK stuff.

What is everyone else using?

[​IMG]

2. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I've used lithium grease and Finish Line Fluoro along with the CRK grease. I find little difference in them as far as smoothness goes.

3. TC

TC

Dec 8, 1998
    Ballistol.

4. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    CRK grease (Cristo-Lube) works perfectly fine for me.

5. Josh K

Sep 29, 2008
    MCG 111?

6. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    Have no idea which one is the CRK equivalent. I just know they make it. It takes me a year or more to come close to using a tube, a tiny bit goes a long way.

7. Josh K

Sep 29, 2008
    The small CRK tube? Old-style plunger tubes maybe, but the newer squeeze bottles don't seem to last more than a couple knives.

8. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    I don’t take mine down very often, it only takes a very very thin layer for my Inkosi.

9. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I tore my 25 down last year & reapplied the grease that came with it. It's seen a lot of use since then, but is still pretty smooth. I'll probably tear it down soon & clean it, but at this rate the grease will dry up in the tube before it all gets used.:)

10. mt666tm

mt666tm Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2012
    White Lithium Grease. Same stuff I use for my guns. Works well.

11. marthinus

marthinus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 10, 2006
    Elna sewing machine oil. For years now on all my folders and on my Insingo since 2010.

12. Thin-Slice

Thin-Slice Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Would like to get me Nano-Oil and the Finish Line Extreme Fluoro but the fact is that I have plenty of CRK folders and each have a tube. At this rate I won't need to purchase a lube for years to come.