Alternative stropping paste

Feb 22, 1999
If you cannot find jeweller's rouge or the other stropping compounds that are mentioned here regularly, try getting "Abrasive Paste" from an auto supply store.

It is a (usually white) paste, marketed under different brands, and it is considered the next step if wax and polish compounds do not work, for removing minor scratches from the car's paint.
It is mildly abrasive, and works well on a leather strop or even a plain piece of cardboard.

By the way, give stropping a try, even just for educational purposes. For example, if you make the common mistake of sharpening a "wire edge", stropping will show it.
You mean those automotive rubbing compound? Hmmm.. never thought of that. We use them everyday at our auto repair shop, and never thought of using them.

Do you think it'll work with a buffing machine?

Buffing machine - Think very carefully before putting a sharp knife anywhere near a power tool that can grab the blade by an edge or corner and throw it. Ouch.

AKTI Member # SA00001
Hehehe.. Thanks for the warning, James.

I was thinking about the Power Buffer, and just mildly touching the edge with the direction away from me.
I think the buffer uses a wool cloth, so it shouldn't snag the blade at all... I hope!

Well, just try it.

These all work the same way. Think of such a compound as "liquid sandpaper", i.e. very fine sand particles suspended in some sort of bonding liquid.
Will do, Costas.
But it's going to be real close, and hopefully I don't mar the finish of the blade itself in the process.

I think this is an interesting place to look for a fine, mild abrasive. I expect it to be softer than a lot of other abrasives so I wouldn't use it as my primary compound for stainless steel knives. For stainless I use a much more agressive green chromium oxide buffing stick. Usually I'm looking to remove some material from a knife. If you're working on a really fine softer steel (like a straight razor) a car buffing compound might be particularly usefull for edge touch-up.