Alternative to a standard box cutter.

I need a knife to use around the warehouse at work. A Home Depot box cutter will easily suit my needs but I want something a bit more "cool" and I don't want something that looks too much like a weapon. I already have a Superknife knock-off but I want a real blade as opposed to a disposable one. The knife needs to look like it belongs in a warehouse environment.

I want something with a short blade (maybe around 2 inches or less) and a long handle (about 4 or 5 inches). I would rather have a folder since a fixed blade would require me to open carry it. So far I like the Spyderco Yojimbo. The blue version looks very utility oriented. Any recommendations?

Spyderco Dodo or Yojimbo. These are the least knife-looking knives I've seen.

I like the Dodo (especially in non-threatening blue) but I am a bit worried about being able to sharpen that curvy blade with my Lansky system. A straight edged Dodo or a smaller Yojimbo would be perfect.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Hanwei Paul Chen Citizen Knife? This knife locks into a box cutter type design and also a push dagger configuration. Would I run into legal problems carrying this? I can pick up this knife brand new for under $40. The Dodo would run me about $70.

Thanks for your help.

Olfa makes snap off utility knives.
My current favorite carries 4 or 5 spare blades in a 'magazine' in the handle. Take one out the front, slide the handle back and pick up another.

Very :cool:

Don't get the superknife. The lock is HORRIBLE (you can one hand close it when its supposedly locked without touching the catch). Get one of the imitations. I'm currently using a "Pro-Tek Lockback Folding Utility Knife" which is much cheaper, easier to blade change and comes with 10 freebie blades.

Pictures still to come on this I'm afraid ;)

Its apparently not as stiff as the US imitations (although the use of ridges instead of thumbstuds make opening slightly tricky) and the build quality is slightly higher than gutter standard. More I cannot say, but I've had this on me for about a week and the lock bar is starting to protude from the back. In general these kind of knives are really badly made and I'm sure I'll be switching as soon as this one breaks.

Two very Cool alternatives to the box-cutter:

Kershaw/Ken Onion Rainbow Chive!

Spyderco Meerkat!

Happy hunting,
Allen.

Check out this modified MTech Kerambit box cutter. I use one similar to the last photo on the page. These are about half the price of a superknife. I added a brass spacer to the finger ring and cut the "hump" out of the G-10 scale at the index finger. You get lots of leverage and a good grip (double if you file serrations all over it). Easy to sharpen too.

http://www.themartialist.com/0603/sdgkerambit.htm

Thanks for your suggestions. I have ordered a blue plain edge Dodo and a Hanwei Citizen (about $125 for both knives plus shipping). I already have a Sheffield "superknife" knock-off that is a solid user so I can rotate between the three.

Of course I'm not opposed to adding more knives to my warehouse rotation so more suggestions are welcome. :D

Back