alternative to nimravus/CQB2

Seb

I think about buying a small fixed blade, and the ones coming up on every "help-me-pick" thread are the benchmade nimravus and the camillus CQB2. are there any alternatives to theese blades?
and one more question... how tough is the M2-steel used in the nimravus?
Seb

M2 is tough, but it really doesn't have much on A2 for most knife applications. After all, you are not going to put your knife into the chuck of a milling maching and start high speed cutting, are you.

As most here already know, I am a big fan of Chris Reeve's Knives, especially the One Piece range. If you are looking at a "smaller" knife, check out one of the excellant 4" models like the Shadow III, Aviator or Mountaineer I. I do not think you will be dissapointed.

You might want to take a look at the new Gerber Yari with 4½" 154CM blade and canvas micarta handles. A tactical not far from the Nimravus. Quality is supposed to be good.

The Camillus and Benchmade in both sizes really are fine knives, great looks and great quality.

[This message has been edited by Jan P (edited 02-08-2001).]

The Livesay Marshal is a good alternative along with the Greco Companion/ Companion Cub.

price should be about the same and CR and Livesay are probably a little on the expensive side, aren't they? I don't know about greco knives, what steel are they made of?

GERBER Yari and BEMCHMADE Nimravus are nice knives though somewhat bigger than specified in request.
I could consider SPYDERCO Bill Moran Featherweight as nice little utility fixed blade quite suitable for this comparison. Now it comes with new drop point blade making it even more versatile. However it is somewhat onto tool side though BENCHMADE Nimravus Cub is somewhat more onto weapon side. Unfortunately I have no experience with Camillus CQB.

I would take a look at some of Greco's knives. I also LOVE the Busse Basic #3. Great little knife. Also, check out some of lynn griffith's pieces. A little pricey, but I like mine.

S in NYC

------------------
What we do today in life...echoes in eternity...
Every man dies...not every man lives...

Ka Bar have a new spear point knife in D2 Tool steel! Now that looks a tough old blade!
Micarta handles as well.

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

another option - if somewhat pricey for your price range is the Dozier toothpick - gr8 work, gr8 kydex cross draw and some of the best D2 blades in the business - IMHO
I love mine.

this is his site:
http://www.dozierknives.com

and these are the specs:

Overall Length: 7 3/4"
Blade Length: 3 1/2" at 60-61 Rc (3/16" thick)
Blade Specs: Double-ground (double-edged by request)
Handle: Black Micarta® handle.
Sheath: Dozier Kydex® horizontal sheath (right or left handed).
Price: $149.00

Back