Alternatives for the ESEE-5

hi folks,

i was shopping for the ESEE-5PB but didn't find any dealer with stock and international shipping option. (ebay was not an option)

i don't have the time to wait as of now, so here's my question:

anyone out there (who maybe also owns an ESEE-5) who thinks they know an alternative quality- and design-wise (most important features: tank-like build and versatile blade-shape)?

any suggestion is welcome (except the BK2 - i own that one...) - thanks!

EDIT: i'm looking for a blade thickness of min .25 inch (combined with less blade-width than the BK2)

Last edited:
ontario rat 5 comes to mind.

p.s. the condor rodan should also work well for you in that category of knives.

Last edited:
thanks jimnolimit - but i 'm looking for a .25 inch blade (just added that in my first post)

IMG00138-20101028-1345.jpg

You should look in to Winkler Knives II, his knives are what I live by.

http://www.winklerknives.com/knifeidx.asp?type=Winkler Knives II

@ Edwood7: great looking knifes there! especially the WK II Striker
striker3.jpg

one fundamental flaw though: price! i intend to (hard) use the knife & i don't wanna be mad at myself for damaging it... besides: what's the thickness of those blades?... (the point of availability is not helped with either with that choice i guess... need it in about 3 weeks)

Last edited:
@ HoosierQ: thanks! i just found a great deal for a RD6 (120$ incl shipping)... only thing i don't like about it is the choil and the nylon-sheath - it will still make the number one on the alternatives list.
any comment on the quality compared to the ESEE-5?!

ok now it's getting tougher again - i absolutely like the look of the entrek 11 bravo and the grayman suenami 5...
but:
- GunKote finish on the graymans? thats not on par with esee & again only nylon sheath :(... and that at a much higher pricepoint?
- the entreks are made in far east? how about that 440C in a hard use scenario? any experiences? (i've only got a folder in 440C - no hard use...)

thanks guys! even if i won't get an ESEE-5 in time - i'm getting confident that i will have a knife that comes close for my next vacation ;)

Cold Steel Recon Scout, may be a tad big here are the specs:
•Weight: 15 oz.,
•Blade: 7 1/2"
•Thick: 5/16"
•Overall: 12 1/2"
•Handle: 5" Long. Kraton®
•Sheath: Secure-Ex® Sheath
•Steel: SK-5 High Carbon
•Black Epoxy Powder Coat Finish

Give the K-Bar Potbelly a look. It's a tad bit larger but not horribly so. It does have a nylon sheath but it's very well designed. It's definately worth a look.

another addition to my list: Fallkniven S1 - huge advantage: i can get it at a local dealer, disadvantage: i once had my hands on one briefly and didn't like the grip on that handle - felt somewhat cheap and uncomfortable for me. seeing the strong fanbase i might take a second look though.
the cold steel recon scout maybe super strong but i think the (upper) guard makes it useless for a lot of work (seems to be designed a fighter)
and the K-Bar Potbelly: it's too large and i fear too dangerous without any kind of guard on it. there are inexperienced users (reads: girlfriend ;)) who use my knifes as well from time to time...

but really thanks for all your suggestions!

Keep in mind the grind height of the ESEE 5, the grind starts 1/2 of the height. So, it's 1/4" thick for around 1" or so.
The RD series are all full flat grind. The are only 1/4" thick on the spine itself. Still, they are strong useful knives.
Check out the TOPS Mountain Lion, next to the ESEE 5 and BK2. Notice the grind starts 1/2 way down the height as well.
100_0950.jpg

100_0951.jpg

The TOPS has a choil, but more blade length, it's thinner towards the tip, which may or may not be good for you.

thanks for the comparison shot!
concerning the grind: yeah i think the blade geometry on the ESEE-5 is nearly unbeatable in strength considering the versatility it still allows.
where did you get the scales on the BK2? they look much better than the stock parts. did you keep the sheath? if so: how much better does the kydex-sheath of the ESEE-5 handle (i hope a lot!...)?
the TOPS mountain lion is a very nice knife - the choil doesn't take away much from the edge at all. the recurve might be tough to sharpen (for me!) but what really kills this knife for me is that i fear it is illegal (or classified as weapon) in a lot of countries because of the double-edge.

which one of those knifes do you like/ carry/ use the most?

the Fallkniven S1 comes to mind as a direct competitor to the ESEE5.

somewhat more exotic materials vs bombproof warranty.

your call.

i guess it's not really my call...
my #1 choice still is the ESEE-5 but its not available to me. it seems ESEE is not able to cope with demand right now - still waiting for answers from some dealers though. i will give it another week. after that i will buy what's top on my alternatives list since i'm off to vacation in about 3 weeks.

Back