am i being to picky? bose/case collab

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VANCE, Dec 25, 2013.

1. PocketKnifeJimmy

PocketKnifeJimmy

Aug 4, 2013
    Yes, good luck with that otherwise gorgeous knife! :) Gots my fingers crossed for ya! :)

2. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Do not oil it or do anything. You don't like the looks, understandable, wood is variable. Send it back and ask for a different one more to your liking.

My tribal spear has a white streak running through the ebony, i first didn't like it, but my nonknife family thought it was neat and showed it was natural. I kept it and the white has mellowed with time. It was a gift. I even like the streak now, makes it "custom" :)

Per pricing, the prices oten fall if a knife is not "hot". If hot, they stay up for a good nine months or until gone.

3. VANCE

VANCE Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    jack,
    it soaked most of the day & it appears the same

no bueno

ill live with it as its an organic material.....look at the last pic i posted up above my lannys clip it has a light spot about midway near the liner...never noticed before....i guess i was just a bit taken aback oh well

4. RobbW

RobbW Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2003
    On an ordinary Case knife, I would live with it. On a Case-Bose collaboration knife at the older $200 price point I would live with it. At the new $400 price point I would want the covers more regular. Blackwood/Ebony shouldn't have spots like that. Grain? Yes. Spots? No.

5. hunter s thompson

hunter s thompson

Oct 17, 2007
    IMHO, it's your knife, if you are not happy with it, you should probably send it back, $400 is a pretty good bit of coin and at the end of the day you bought it too make you happy, and it obviously doesn't do what it is supposed too do.

6. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Wow, you are right, that is twice the normal price, I have owned these Colabs as well, and paid around $200. but as just previously mentioned I guess it depends on whats hot etc.
    Usually Ebony is pretty darn dense, it may take a while for the Mineral oil to penetrate?

I hope there is a happy outcome of this for you.

7. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    That's a shame. Personally, I think I could live with it, but if you're not sure you can Phillip, I'd talk to Case about it, maybe e-mail them pics. You don't want to have an expensive knife you're unhappy with, and I don't think the application of mineral oil would in any way affect your warranty. Maybe Case can find you one you're 100% happy with, and for $400, you should be 100% happy I think. It's a lovely knife BTW :thumbup:

Jack

8. mtangent

mtangent

Dec 6, 2011
    A doubling in price, & I would look at things differently.

9. LEOGREG

LEOGREG

Jan 29, 2007
    I don't think you're being too picky at all. It looks like heck. When you get a black ebony scale to contrast with a nickel silver bolster your looking for a kind of perfection, like a finely crafted and polished clarinet. I had a similar problem with this Tidioute Toothpick, my second GEC. I was very disappointed; white spots on the wood and proud bolsters at both ends. 600, 1000, 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper, Flitz and an hour in front of the TV later, I got the flawless transition I'd expected out of the box. There's no substitute for hand finishing. The spots turned out to be stray glue and wouldn't allow the oil to penetrate. I hope this helps the O.P.
    Good luck,
    Greg
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  10. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Good job on that Leogreg. Might be OK on an ordinary production knife (still annoying though) to have to fix finish issues but not on a knife this costly and seemingly customesque. They should carefully inspect the knives when they cost this much, they are limited edition too, although 300 each is not that limited in my view. Still, I got an Ohta yesterday and it's stag handled and flawless for the same money, and less wait.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  11. LEOGREG

LEOGREG

Jan 29, 2007
    If I ever decide to break the $400 barrier on a knife, trust me, it won't be a new Case!