Am I reading the FAQ correctly r.e. reassembly?

LAG3

Gold Member
Am I reading the Unofficial FAQ correctly in that I should put the handle completely back together before inserting the blade. I think I may have crimped the washers on the large Sebenza I used to have which caused a gritty action. Don't want to make the same mistake with the small one I just got. Thanks, Leo G.

That is the way that Anne posted way back when.

Some people prefer to build the knife up sandwich style, putting the posts and sleeves into the lock scale, then stacking the washers and blade around the pivot and screwing on the top scale. This might work better for you if you're having trouble lining up the washers.

Build it up the way stjames says, and put a dab of fluorinated grease on each layer as you put the pieces together. The grease will help hold those washers in place. Then when you finally screw it all together, it will be lubricated from the inside out already.

I third the motion to do it as James says - I found that method to be the one that worked for me when I first tried (and failed, re-tried, and failed, etc.)

Although I think I have to give credit to OwenM for pointing it out. Thanks OwenM!!! :D

Matthew

hehe, and thank you for being such a good sport, and putting up with my "wit", Matthew;)

Sometimes it's hard to get a blade back in an assembled handle without having to wrestle with those pesky washers, though a toothpick comes in handy for lining up the washers if you want to try it that way.

Back