1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

Am I right on what to carry in California and NYC as a tourist?

Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by 3rdMusketeer, Jan 24, 2008.

1. 3rdMusketeer

3rdMusketeer

Mar 24, 2006
    Just saw an interesting folder, the Byrd Wings, it is about ideal that it is a utility knife with the blades not much longer over three inches, if carried inside the pocket without the clip it should be ok and at the same time not alarm people if I were to cut my salami and bread in public....what do you think?

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/spyderc/images/by20gps.jpg

2. MORIMOTOM

MORIMOTOM

Oct 29, 2005
    i dont see anything in the penal code or muni/county laws that would prohibit the byrd.

i dont mean to be evasive, but as mentioned, the laws can be confusing, especially when trying to account for several applicable sections in various codes.

3. PV29

PV29

Feb 13, 2007
    Hmmm, so only the "bad guys" will have sharp pointy objects, eh? Ummm, that's not so good. :thumbdn:

4. 3rdMusketeer

3rdMusketeer

Mar 24, 2006
    This only happened once but it happened in front of me.......I was in a petrol (gas) station when I saw a policeman stoping a customer from entering the station to pay for his petrol after he filled up because he had a multi-tool inside a pouch on his belt. The customer had to go back to his car and place the multi-tool in the boot of his car and only then was allowed to go in and pay for his petrol. The fellow was given a warning not to carry knives without a lawful reason.......needles to say, I do not advertise that I am carrying a multi-tool or any other sharp object on me when in public, just in case......on the other hand, if you take out a 4" bladed paring knife from a picnic basket and start cutting up food in a public park, I think this is ok, at least I have done this without a problem...so far.

5. Midlife Crisis

Midlife Crisis

Jan 7, 2008
    Codes for major California cities (including Los Angeles) as well as the State of California are available and searchable online.

3rd Musketeer - are you saying you can't legally carry an ordinary pocket knife in Australia? And here we were hoping everyone carried a knife like Crocodile Dundee's. ;-)

6. Midlife Crisis

Midlife Crisis

Jan 7, 2008
    Point well taken. My disclaimer was to cover my own ass. We live in a litigious society. :)

7. 3rdMusketeer

3rdMusketeer

Mar 24, 2006
    You can carry any knife ONLY if you have a legal reason for doing so. If you are walking around the streets and carry a typical pocket knife and a policeman asks you why you are carrying it.....you better have a good reason.....self defence is NOT a valid reason. If you say, "just in case I may need it for something", this is also not a valid reason and the knife may be confiscated and you may be in trouble, or you may be given a warning and asked to put it in your car and not carry it around.

....Many many years ago we were quite liberal and had no problem in carrying folders in pockets, nobody cared and it was not a problem......just like in the US, in England and Australia things are getting worse and worse.

8. auspx

auspx

Aug 13, 2007
    You have to justify why you would need, for example, even a Swiss Army Knife? :barf:

9. JDN

JDN

Sep 10, 2002
    "You can carry a knife ONLY if you have legal reason for doing so". Actually, that is not true in CA - See previous posts of knife laws in CA. IF you meet the law's requirements (City and State) as to length, type (no balisong, etc.) folder rules versus fixed blade, etc. the question of WHY you are carry the knife is of no concern to the officer or anyone else. He cannot (legally) ask you to put it in your car, confiscate it, etc. A VALID REASON is ANY lawful reason you want it to be including "I have it for self defense". And there is no legal "warning" he can give you or action he can take - you have done nothing wrong. Actually for knives, especially folders, CA is quite reasonable.

10. Midlife Crisis

Midlife Crisis

Jan 7, 2008
    JDN: 3rd Musketeer was talking about knife law in Australia.

11. JDN

JDN

Sep 10, 2002
    Midlife Crisis; I noticed, however the basic premise of the original post was regarding CA. 3rd Musketeer said he, "will go through LA airport straight to Long Beach CA for few days and then on to Santa Barbara for a few days." A nice trip - just thought he should be aware of CA Law versus Australia. Often people think they need to justify why they are carrying a knife in CA and they do not. Assuming a legal carry (as you defined above; although LA has a 3" rule) it is none of the policeman's business why you are carrying a knife. And you can tell him so.