Am I supersititious? Are you?

I tried to respond to this post last night but I kept deleting my response. If I found the knife that was used on Ceasar I wouldn't have second thoughts on keeping, selling or donating it to a museum. The same applies to OJ's knife. Or alleged knife
smile.gif
. But for some reason, if I came into possesion of Jeffrey Dahmer's tools, I would destroy them. I'm just not sure why one seems more evil than the others.

------------------
Frank
jqsurf@worldnet.att.net

One category of object with a past would be a "martial blade" or other weapon that formerly belonged to an enemy soldier and is now yours, either your war trophy or one you bought afterwards. Traditionally one owns and if necessary uses weapons formerly owned by the enemy, with no worry about any bad vibes they might have picked up from their former owners, the bad guys.

As for that big hack-slasher from Borneo, did the dream come from that particular knife's use for decapitations, or did the dream come from knowing that it was old and had some warlike history, and knowing that warriors in that neighborhood historically collected heads as war trophies? Were the gory details in the dream in some way unusual, or were they normal for warfare in that area?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

James,

No, I did not know that they are used to hurt or even kill enemies. I should have been clearer on that. The sword itself is like, as I mentioned, an overgrown machete. My first thought was that it should make a nice machete, and this was further confirmed by the fact that the guides used them for whacking bushes. As for collecting heads for some sort of trophies, yes I found out LATER that it is so. Should I know that earlier, I wouldn't even buy it. When my guide told me about a 'spirit' inside the blade (he told me in a very general way, nothing about killing was mentioned
frown.gif
), I laughed. You have to understand that that part of the country is very primitive, and still untouched by civilization. For me such stories, by such people, ARE hard to believe.

I think it is important to note that Indonesia has more than 130 different ethnics, and I was familiar with a few, but not Dayaks. The decapitation of enemies is not common among the other ethnics, only Dayaks, and no it's not normal in any other part of the country. I chased this information long after the experience.

I have quite a few pieces from other parts of Indonesia: krisses, gulogs, parangs, kerambits, rencongs, and some that I could not even name, in general they are more menacing-looking than the mandaus. The interesting part is that the mandaus look plain and very basic, yet used in gorier situations.

About how I got the visions, I don't have a single clue. I'd be happy to reconcile the experience with any of the thories I know, but I have never got a satisfactory explanation. Some say it's psychometry, the ability to 'tune in' to an object's past and then translates it. But I'm doubtful, as my experience are ONLY with knives. My bet is that the same will only happen to a quite small number of people.

Reynaert

From: Ivan8883@aol.com 6-7-99 930PM EDT Does anyone have one of those Gurhka Kukris that were used to take out German Sentries in Italy by chopping their heads off and disappearing as quick as they came? Talk about a gory history! A documented head chopper so to speak. Ivan

Another question - I, among others, would feel a little more "queasy" about obtaining a pre-owned tool that had been used ina civilian homicide than I would about a pre-owned purpose-built weapon that had been so-used. And I would feel a little more queasy about a weapon with a history of civilian criminal violence than about a weapon with a history of wartime violence.

But I can't think of too many logical reasons for that sort of distinction.

Why would I hesitate to cook with that hypothetical chef's knife with a gory past, but not hesitate to bring home venison with a slightly modified rifle that had come as surplus from the horror of World War Two, possibly in the service of the other side?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

Feng Shui... Gesheundheit.

I can't say as I totally disbelieve that one's psychic imprint could be bonded to a very personal object, especially a weapon. but, I figure; if it doesn't, nothing can happen. If it does; the acquirer's own Ki should supplant it. I can't possibly believe that an inanimate object can have a more powerful volition that a living human being.

As for possesion, I just can't swallow that anyone can be made to do something they don't want to do. Influenced, yes. Forced - no way.

I haven't ever had the opportunity to buy the proverbial "$200 Clark Meltdown 1911" that was used for evil purposes, but I do own a head-band I purchased from Bob Berdella. It was displayed in his shop on a human skull. They said all the skeletal artifacts in his shop were fake, but....

I haven't worn it since (wouldn't be caught dead in a headband these days anyway), but I didn't burn it, sell it, or give it away either. I could probably sell it for a tidy sum, but the thought of profiting from the acts of that sick little goblin gives me the creeps.

Joe

Would I buy a house with a past and sleep in it, HELL no! But I'm not superstitious. I'd buy a knife with a past as long as there was no visible reminder, such as blood or bone chips(pardon my goryness). However, for some reason, I wouldn't buy a set of kitchen knives with a past...dunno why...

James,

I have this WWII Japanese sword which my grandfather gave me just before he passed away. He did tell me a lot of things about it and this thread seems appropriate for such.

The soldier who owned this sword, was famous for being the one who decapitates Filipino rebels caught during the war. I was told that the count was up to 6 heads total cut-off by this sword.... not to mention the countless babies tossed in the air, and using the sword to catch them in mid-flight (I know, gross). Casualties of war, I guess..
frown.gif

The blade itself has all these rust-lines which looks like something dripped from it before. I was told it was due to the blood (whose blood, I dunno). I can't even remove the "smell" that it has, but can't describe it.

I was told some things by a psychic friend of mine when I asked about the history of this sword and its former owner, which I'd rather not discuss in detail here. Suffice to say, this thing still goes after blood. Everytime I bring it out to clean it, no matter how careful I am with it, I always end up getting cut, or whoever's passing nearby, gets cut as well.

My dad has a small bolo-like sword which came from an infamous bandit in our country's southern region (where Titan's located), and this guy (now dead) was well-known to gut the fallen soldiers they were lucky enough to kill or overwhelm. Gory? Yes. Tell me about it!
frown.gif

Heh... I once had this joke wherein I would use the sword to cut my birthday cake, but then remembering the history of the sword itself, and the "smell", makes me think otherwise.
smile.gif

Who gets to own this sword next? My daughter I guess..
smile.gif
That would deter any would-be suitors in the future.. hahahaha.
smile.gif

Dan

It depends. If I get somesort of "bad vibes", hell no. However, if I don't get any sort of bad feelings from the object or the place then, sure.

I remember one day when I was 8 or so. My Mom and I were driving through Clarendon Tx and saw a sign for the Saints Roost muesem. We were not on a schedule so we decided to go take a look. We both got this real bad feeling about the place before we got with in a hundred yards of the place. That place still gives me the creeps, I may look up it's history though.
In case your wondering, it has happened since then, just never a strong.

------------------
Joshua
But doom'd and devoted by vassal and lord.
MacGregor has still both his heart and his sword!
-MacGregor's Gathering, Sir Walter Scott

I'm not supertitious at all but some of the things you guys are saying are scaring the crap outta me!

------------------

Win
Knife lover, Philosopher, Humanitarian, and All-around nice guy
(all right, so I'm just a knife lover)

Win, I guess there are some things that science couldn't really explain.

Superstition? Maybe... But there's something in there that just doesn't feel right, specially if it has gone through something morbid or whatever..

Dan

Joel Stave: Thanks for mentioning James 'The Amazing' Randi. I had no idea the prize had grown so large. I was a bit surprised that I saw no mention of CSICOP (Commitee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal) on his page. I agree that many members do seem to be quite brash and arrogant when it comes to the subject, but they are often fighting predators and being rude is not a crime. That being said, I am often turned off by the rampant and fanatic ranting, too much 'religious fervor.' But every field has its nuts, just as we have many here, and ya gotta luv 'em all
smile.gif

Dannyc: sounds like you are describing the temper lines on the blade (diferential tempering?) My, novice nontechnical, knowledge is the hand tempering of the blade, using clay, often incorprated the wavy pattern which reflects the way the clay was applied to the blade. The rust my be occuring between these 'boundaries' of different temper. Or maybe not.

JE

Back