1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one who checks every For Sale post for Idaho Stamp?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by bvo85, May 11, 2017.

1. bvo85

bvo85 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Every CRK For Sale post, the first thing I do is zoom un on the reverse scale and look for the Idaho stamp and then sigh with disappointment when I see it. Am I the only one? I'm proud to be American and proud CRK is based in Idaho but the laser engraving really detracts from the clean lines for me of what makes a sebenza a sebenza. Maybe I'm weird.

2. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    I am not disappointed by it. Don't really even notice it anymore.
    By the way, it is engraved on a CNC mill with a special engraving cutter.
    Laser is a different beast that has only come up as a tool recently for the "We the People" series CGG's.

3. Iron City

Iron City Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Pace yourself, you've only been here two weeks. This is a marathon not a sprint, you don't want to flame out too soon.

Lone_Wolfe and RyanRaben like this.
  4. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I do look, but in all honesty it isn't that big a deal. I don't notice it all in my pocket, or even using it. It is only when glaring at your knife it becomes apparent and even then it shows up better in photo's then real life.

5. Swiss_Army_Man

Swiss_Army_Man

May 3, 2011
    I really don't get all the aversion towards this.

6. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    I like the Idaho Made. It's pure CRK.

7. matt009au

matt009au Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Jeez 65 posts in 2 weeks. I must be doing it wrong.

Re the question. I dun care about the Idaho markings.

8. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I will look, but it is not a deal breaker. If given a choice, I would prefer no stamp but it won't keep me from buying one.

9. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Naw, I don't pay attention to the Idaho Made marking anymore. I've got a few without it and it has made no difference in the performance of the knife.

10. WCC

WCC

Aug 5, 2015
    Does it make any difference iro collectors? The ones without the stamp seems to be more sought after, or is it just my perception?

11. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    I used to have a strong dislike for the Idaho Made stamp (I realize its machined). I don't give it a second thought anymore. I do support bvo85 in his/her venture though. FYI I believe they started the Idaho Made markings late Summer 2009.

12. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Every CRK I own except my mnandis has the Idaho made stamp. I guess it looks better without, but I honestly do not care at all. If I like the knife, I will buy it regardless of stamp and I certainly won't pay more for one without just because it doesn't have it.

13. Birdhunter1220

Birdhunter1220 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2011
    The only difference I have noticed is the weight. With out the "Made Idaho" stamp the knife is heavier. ;) Had them both and love them both, think I like the stamp better. But each to his or her own.

blanco112, Lone_Wolfe and bvo85 like this.
  14. Luigimoto

Luigimoto Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I have to say that I have two crks with the stamp. I stopped buying them because of the stamp. Three years later, I am back looking at all the new blade designs and improvements but I still recoil when I see the stamp. I wish I could get over it but I just can’t. I love the fact they are made in the USA and have nothing against IDAHO but the stamp just ruins the look of the knife. His knives, his rules. I understand but don’t have to like it.

bvo85 likes this.
  15. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    In that case, never buy a Classic.

16. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Im probably in the minoroty but honestly ... I love Idaho ... Montana and Wyoming ... so I don't mind the stamp at all ... one of my favorite places to go ... so not an issue for me.

DMD08 and bhyde like this.
  17. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    I don't mind the Idaho Made at all. The blade really bothers me, though--sharp, pointy, dangerous....

peterbright likes this.
  18. peterbright

peterbright Serial Monogamist Platinum Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Makes zero difference to me.

19. SomeGuyInTaipei

SomeGuyInTaipei

Sep 22, 2017
    I’m in the “love it” camp. States should be proud of the products unique to them, and this is a hell of a product. I understand the aversion by some, ascetics-wise, but for me, a mark of local pride.

DMD08 likes this.
  20. lemmuhj

lemmuhj Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2010
    I dont even notice it anymore