Spyderco Am I the only one who just can't do it?

Taiwan spydercos are some of the best. I only have an Advocate left, but I’ve had them all from the GB2 to Slysz Bowie. Fantastic knives. IBTL!

In the last 6 months I have bought, used and sold two Taiwan models - the Smock and the Gayle Bradley 2. They were excellent knives, and I would have kept both of them if they "fit" me. They just couldn't out-compete my Para 3's and Native 5's for pocket time.

Last edited:
It's not just you. I am a little wary when seeing a design that I'm interested in is coming out of Taiwan. I've had 5 Taiwan made models, but I have not been that impressed with them. The build quality was good on all of these knives, but in my experience was worse than the evergreen Golden models I've owned. Too many unbroken edges, unpleasant satin finishes, and poor detents for the price points. The machining was a little nicer, but it's not like the Golden models are deficient in that capacity in any respect. I'd also say that the Taiwan produced designs weren't as well thought out as the typical US-made models, but that is understandable given the way that the Taiwan factory is utilized by Spyderco to make models with higher turnover. It also seems like Taiwan produced pieces are more likely to use bearings, which I generally like to avoid nowadays.

Everyone always says that Taiwan makes a nicer knife than the Golden factory, but on average I've been more impressed with the US models. Maybe I've just gotten unlucky multiple times in a row, though.

Last edited:
Have a Techno 2, it oozes quality also have a Chaparral LW and it's my most carried knife, had a Spydiechef and it was nice but I never really liked it and ended up selling it. Even though I like to carry knives with an overall length of less than 8" the GB 2 is on my next to buy Spyderco list.

I was of the opposite viewpoint a 2-3 years ago. I was wary of the U.S. made models and found the Taiwan made ones to be the best value. The Golden-made models I purchased (Para 2, Lil Native) didn't feel quite as well-made as the Taichung models (Gayle Bradley 2, Chaparral). My most recent Para 3 from Golden that I bought within the last year does feels every bit as good as the Taichung models though.

I have/had 8 Taichung Spydercos, and they are consistently the best build quality with the best fit and finish of all Spydercos I have owned.

QuCkQoK.jpg

3PHzMb8.jpg

I have multiple variants of the US-made Native 5, Para 3, Yojimbo 2, and Manix 2. That said, I also enjoy the Taichung models shown below. I don't have any China-made Spyderco models as none have really appealed to me, although the Astute might change that. I also plan on getting the Italian Spyopera soon. I like buying knives from different countries and various makers so I can experience a small slice of the amazing variety that is now available.
KuceFEc.jpg

It is my understanding that Spyderco’s US plant was not at a point to expand production so Sal looked overseas.

The money brought in from his overseas products allowed Sal to expand US production and offer a larger line of knives.

Personally, I have to admire Sal for not going offshore just to save a buck or two.
Spyderco was originally made in Seki, Japan. Many still are. That is where the reputation was made. The US facility has gotten bigger and that is a good thing for the knife world. Sal has make lasting relationships with plant owners in Japan; Maniago, Italy; TAichung, Taiwan and another place in Taiwan, and China. This lets Spyderco continue to expand not only its offerings, but also increase American jobs and expand the Golden, CO. USA plant.

I've still got two Chaparrals and I will likely buy the new Birdseye model when it hits. This is the ultimate gentleman's knife for sure.

Spyderco was originally made in Seki, Japan. Many still are. That is where the reputation was made. The US facility has gotten bigger and that is a good thing for the knife world. Sal has make lasting relationships with plant owners in Japan; Maniago, Italy; TAichung, Taiwan and another place in Taiwan, and China. This lets Spyderco continue to expand not only its offerings, but also increase American jobs and expand the Golden, CO. USA plant.

Spyderco had there first knives made in Japan?
That’s news to me. You learn something new every day.

FYI, my comments are based on statements from Sal himself.

I was iffy about a Taiwan Spyderco at first as well.
My Ikuchi convinced me otherwise.
The quality is at least as good as the US or Japan made ones, maybe even better.
If I see another Spyderco from Taiwan that I like, I won't be worried about them being made in Taiwan at all this time.

I've seen people that for whatever reason prefer the Taiwan Spydercos to the US and Japanese made ones.
So, not only are they just as good as US made, you may find the quality to be little better but definitely not worse.

I love Taichung spydies. They are some of if not the best made spydercos. I have no problem supporting the Taiwanese economy either. Completely different story with mainland China. I don’t want to support concentration camps.

I kick myself for not picking up the Sylsz Bowie when in production , another great Taiwan made Spyderco.

We knife nuts are truly spoiled for choice nowadays; we can pretty much buy a knife made anywhere in the world, with choice of steel and materials. I think we can afford to be picky.

I can understand and appreciate the OP's aversion towards Spydies made in Taiwan. There was indeed a time when "Made in Taiwan" was synonymous with "junk" and it remained so for a long, long time; perhaps long enough for a generation or two of consumers to develop a reflexive reaction. I get it.

It is the same with "Made in China", IMO. And although Chinese manufacturing quality has vastly improved since (just like Taiwan), it now contains far more political baggage in our modern times (unlike Taiwan). For this reason, I personally have no issues buying knives made in Taiwan, but choose not to buy Chinese knives anymore--it has nothing to do with quality. It's a personal choice. I won't disparage others who choose differently.

Personally, I think "Taichung, Taiwan" Spydies are amongst the best manufactured knives available anywhere. I have no qualms about having one in my pocket, but if I did, I'd just buy a knife made elsewhere... :cool::thumbsup:

taichung.jpg
All well-made in Taichung, Taiwan: Chokwe, Watu, GB2, Ikuchi, Terzuola Slipit, Dice, Chaparral

Hale Storm Hale Storm I agree to a large extent. While Taiwan has excellent F&F and quality materials, I can’t pay mid tech prices for one. There are some exceptions, like the GB2. I’m still a firm believer that at $170 is an incredible value. Not to mention it’s got the great state of Texas engraved on the blade!

Kapara and love it. No to Chinese knives but Taiwan is OK- There is a distinct difference in the governments and freedom.

I do balk at $300-$400 for a production knife. You're into 2ndary market custom range. The 2 Dozier folders I have were right at $400.

I own many knives that Spyderco produces in Taiwan. Great fit and finish! The only thing I dislike about the models made in Taichung is the detents, in my experience, tend to be softer that the USA made knives.

Back