1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I using or Holding my knife wrong, causing a callous?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by FOG2, Mar 31, 2018.

1. FOG2

FOG2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I have developed a callous at the base of my fore finger. I cook for a living and as such use my knife all day every day. I wonder if this is a normal hazard of the job or am I holding or using my knife incorrectly?
    Pics of the callous and my pinch grip below.
    20180331_185903.jpg 20180331_185959.jpg
    I use a 10 inch, Mundial wide cooks knife. I have ground the spine to round it as I 1st thought that the squareness of the spine was causing the callous, but it isn't whats causing it.
    Anyone have ideas on this?

2. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    A callus is usually OK by me but maybe it'll cause issues for you. I look at them as protecting my skin.

They say that it's typical of using chef's knives. Have you talked to folks in your industry?

3. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
  4. FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    Danke I have not.
    JC, thanks for the link! It seems I need to spend some time there.

5. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Fog, it’s real simple. I see this all the time with my Chef clientele . When sharpening I knock off the sharp edges on the spine of knife .. you can do it with sandpaper on a block. Radius the spine so it’s round. Problem solved!

6. tim37a

tim37a

May 18, 2010
    He said he had already rounded the spine. You might try smoothing the spine with higher and higher grits but I think it is simply a hazard of the job.

7. FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    Tim I suspect you are correct.