1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I using or Holding my knife wrong, causing a callous?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by FOG2, Mar 31, 2018.

1. FOG2

FOG2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I have developed a callous at the base of my fore finger. I cook for a living and as such use my knife all day every day. I wonder if this is a normal hazard of the job or am I holding or using my knife incorrectly?
    Pics of the callous and my pinch grip below.
    20180331_185903.jpg 20180331_185959.jpg
    I use a 10 inch, Mundial wide cooks knife. I have ground the spine to round it as I 1st thought that the squareness of the spine was causing the callous, but it isn't whats causing it.
    Anyone have ideas on this?

protourist likes this.
  2. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    A callus is usually OK by me but maybe it'll cause issues for you. I look at them as protecting my skin.

They say that it's typical of using chef's knives. Have you talked to folks in your industry?

3. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
  4. FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    Danke I have not.
    JC, thanks for the link! It seems I need to spend some time there.

5. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Fog, it’s real simple. I see this all the time with my Chef clientele . When sharpening I knock off the sharp edges on the spine of knife .. you can do it with sandpaper on a block. Radius the spine so it’s round. Problem solved!

6. tim37a

tim37a

May 18, 2010
    He said he had already rounded the spine. You might try smoothing the spine with higher and higher grits but I think it is simply a hazard of the job.

7. FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    Tim I suspect you are correct.

8. jakescott7

jakescott7

Dec 2, 2015
    comes with the territory. every cook i know has it. better than the blister, thats for sure.

FOG2 likes this.
  9. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Fog, There Is diff with it causing a blister or a callious!! I have callouses,, Unless your skin is brittle, you should only have a callious ,, not a blister..If the spine is properly rounded..

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  10. Justin Carnecchia

Justin Carnecchia

Jun 4, 2011
    Thats how you know your a cook.
    Well, that and low pay, long hours, lots of cuts and burns...

FOG2 likes this.
  11. FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    I now believe that me being (heavy handed) with the knife is the cause.
    Instead I need to let the knife do the work instead of using my muscles to do it.
    The callous seems to be getting smaller the more I use the less muscle technique. Tho I doubt it will go away.
    As was mentioned before it's a result of the job.imo

12. tump

tump

Feb 2, 2013
    I have had mine for 30 yes just part of the biz

FOG2 likes this.
  13. Lapedog

Lapedog Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Exposing skin to repeated contact tends to cause calluses. It is likely from that and a different knife might just give you a callus in a different spot.

FOG2 likes this.
  14. cnm123

cnm123 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I've had a callous like that for over 20 years, like jakescott said, better than a blister.
    You might want to try a heavier forged knife (like a Henkels or Wustoff )instead of those lighter ones like Mundial and such. I find it's actually less fatiguing to use a heavy knife and let it do the work.

FOG2 likes this.
  15. Colum Black-Byron

Colum Black-Byron

Saturday
    I got more callouses from the knife handles (am a chef). I found the rounder handles were better for it.

FOG2 likes this.