1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

AMAR SINGH THAPA KHUKURI (Pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Bill Sanders, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Bill Sanders

Bill Sanders

Aug 18, 2003
    I got the AMAR SINGH THAPA KHUKURI, BY SHER THE (TIGER) in the mail on Tuesday. First impressions: Holy Smoke THAT’S a TANG! Where the wood handle starts, the tang is ½ inch wide and tapers to ¼ of an inch at the butt. It weighs in at 38.1 ounces (Sheath and all weighs in at 50.3 oz) and is 18 inches long. The rivets are interesting, as they go through copper tubes. The hole in the handle is also a copper tube. I had to remove some small sharp edges from some of the rivets/copper tubes, with some sandpaper. I decided against a thong for now, as I will need to smooth the edges of the tube so they don’t cut the thong. It does not feel as heavy as it is when in the hand. Until you pick up a lighter khuk, that is.
    I decided that today would be a good day for a workout for both me and a few khukri’s. I grabbed, along with the new one, an 18 ½ inch, 32.6 ounce CAK by Sher, a 17 inch, 26.8 ounce CAK by Kumar, and a 12 inch, 12 ounce villager AK by Amtrac that lives in my car trunk. I need to do this more often. I put each one through some chopping, and after the third one, was getting tired. The 12 in AK got used to make some small kindling strips.
    The Amar Sing Thapa is a serious chopper! It chops better than the 18 ½ inch CAK. If I need some chopping done this blade will do it nicely. It handles slightly better than either of the CAK’s, due, I think, to the handle shape. I did swing the tip accidentally through the dirt and some small rocks. That was the only damage done to any of the blades. It did not damage it as much as I expected, and will sharpen out fairly easily. It split sections of wood that I had to baton the CAK’s through. Due to different blade geometry and of course the extra weight.
    And now the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All in all a good day!
    Bill

2. paua

paua

Jun 16, 2008
    Thank you for these excellent pictures Bill,

Won't be able to get mine until October. So there must be quite a few anxious guys lined up in front of me waiting for this beast.

3. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    Nice review. Looks like it was a good day to get out.

Are the bolsters integral?

4. Bill Sanders

Bill Sanders

Aug 18, 2003
    The bolsters look to be brazed in place, with the normal laha filler. They wrap around, but don't cover the back of the tang.

5. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Great review and pix, thank you

6. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    Based on this review, this khuk is sounding like a really viable, work-ready addition to the HI line. (It out-chopped a CAK?)

7. knifenut848

knifenut848

Mar 19, 2009
    I am looking to buy my first Khukuri and was wondering, where did you buy the one on the left in the top picture? Also how much was it?
    Thanks

8. Bill Sanders

Bill Sanders

Aug 18, 2003
    All the blades shown were bought from Himalayan Imports, and all were Deals of the Day posted here in BF, by Yangdu or Uncle Bill. The one on the left is the newest and was $195.

Bill

9. iBlade

iBlade

Jul 24, 2008
    That thing is like an M43 on steroids.
    Nice review.

10. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Many thanks for the comparison photo's as they do an excellent job at showing the details and difference in the handle size and design more than in the dotd thread. :thumbup:

From your pictures and impressions I'm certain this new model is one I will be getting especially if available in a lighter 28 to 30 ounce version. :)