amateur hour - couple of recent ones

Here are a couple of sheaths I did up with clips instead of belt loops. It isn't unusual for me to be wearing something that doesn't take a belt, so I figured it was worth trying the clips.

The fixed blade sheath is my fourth for that type of knife. It looks a bit odd without a loop, but it works just fine. Thanks to all of the pros for the tips they have posted here and elsewhere. They have helped a lot.

The sheath for the folding hunter obviously draws pretty heavily on Gary Graley's photos and tips. I think this is my fifth sheath for a folder.

I intentionally didn't post any pix of the edges, not because I think they aren't up to snuff, but because I used edgekote and I knew it would make Paul Long cry if he saw it. I couldn't bring myself to do that to him.:D

Comments and advice are welcome.

Dave

Last edited:

sheathmaker

Custom Leather Sheaths
Dave, very nice work. G2 will be proud as am I.........................................................................except for the edgecoat! But at least you tried not to expose me. thanks.

Seriously, very nice job.

Paul

Dave, very nice work. G2 will be proud as am I.........................................................................except for the edgecoat! But at least you tried not to expose me. thanks.

Seriously, very nice job.

Paul

May I ask why you don't like Edge-Coat? I've never used it but was thinking that my edges never looked finished, which is why I usually braid over them. I do use gum trag, but it still doesn't like quite right.

Stitchawl

sheathmaker

Custom Leather Sheaths
Sandpaper, elbow grease, saddle soap with water, burnish with a rag then repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat and you'll have an edge so smooth and shiny you would kill anyone putting edge coat on it. Or you can just do a part way job and cover it with edge coat. The standard you settle for is up to you my friend.

Paul

leatherman

leathermoderator
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Thanks for the giggle Paul, edge coat is evil stuff indeed. :)

I needed the smile, I got one of those calls from the nursing home, my grandmother hurt her hand. But the nurse didnt say what she was calling about on the message, I almost had a heart attack. :eek:

Sandpaper, elbow grease, saddle soap with water, burnish with a rag then repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat and you'll have an edge so smooth and shiny you would kill anyone putting edge coat on it. Or you can just do a part way job and cover it with edge coat. The standard you settle for is up to you my friend.

Paul

I've got the sandpaper, saddle soap, and a good canvas rag, but when I asked for a bottle of elbow grease
the shop keeper looked at me strangely... :rolleyes: (ducking and running...)

I guess I'm just not working it long enough, huh? Next one will be better! Thanks!

Stitchawl